Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

In Defense of "Impersonal" Gifts
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy! Hi!
I recently sent a book to someone in England--it was so simple and logical to--simply send it from a store in England! (I'm in the US)

Is there a way you can somehow advertise your Australian source more extensively so people don't have to schlep a book overseas?

p.s. what do you think of the "kindle" ?

(Please Judy consider doing the Proust questionnaire (a thread here) I'd love to see you and Debby and Rainey and David (Swan is in Antarctica--no Internet access!) Georgia, Barbara, Simona, Bainst, msue I won't type anymore names ALL the past and present posters--)

Judy, it's so good to see you! Your "Catch Me If You Can" website has disappeared?
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gingerpale

Okay - first question last .... I think the domain name has expired on our Catch Us If You Can blog, and as we're spending so much time working on 'real' websites and not travelling as much, we've put the blog on the backburner for now. It was getting hit with heaps of irritating spam too.

I don't really like e-readers personally. There's nothing like curling up in a big armchair or in bed with a good book. The e-reader market seems to be getting very fragmented, with Sony, Amazon and several others all joining in. Greg and Tom both use PDAs (eg Palm Pilots) to read occasionally. Tom wanted to read some classics and it was easier (and instant!) to find text files at Project Gutenberg than to wait until I found them at secondhand bookshops for him
From a bookselling point of view, I'm not worried at all. People who buy books will always buy books.

Regarding advertising internationally, I have used Google Adwords for the last couple of months with some success, and will use them again next year, including setting up some for my 'gift-sending' services. I sell some children's books which are not available in the US, and Google Adwords targetted for the US worked very well. Lots of little girls in the US will be receiving Rainbow Magic Fairy books for Christmas, thanks to Santa Claus calling in to my house in Australia to collect them on the way to their houses. Wink

Have a lovely Christmas. I'm still packing and posting some last minute purchases, but will find some time to do the Proust questionnaire soon, I hope.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
bluedog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update - My mother-in-law gave us a gift certificate for Campagne, a fancy french restaurant here in Seattle. I had never even mentioned the place, so she (well, prob my father -in-law) researched it on their own! I was so touched, I hope that my response was joyful enough to keep them on track for future gifts!

So after living through the holiday I have a new definition - I think a gift card and a gift cretificate are different in meaning. I take Erin and Rachel's point to heart - the type of gift card is just as meaningful, if the thought is in the right spot. What I hope a gift is - something you wouldn't buy for yourself, and something you will take pleasure in - that can be a gift certificate to something that can seem personal and thoughtful. Target, Borders and Best Buy - another story!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: