Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The Golden Age exhibition at The V&A
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: The Golden Age exhibition at The V&A Reply with quote

am the proud owner of The V&A desk diary for 2008...thought I'd start writing in the mustn't forgets...

and that got me browsing more...a little faint here, a little faint there...

if you click on the photo in the link..you'll get a sort of closer look at marcelle Chaumont's beautiful hand-painted organza design..the diary has a super duper closeup of the bodice...look like fine fine fine pin tucks....gold painted bows...simply gorgeous...

http://www.vandaprints.com/image.php?id=207672&idx=5&fromsearch=true

isn't it wondrously odd to be drawn to a particular period in history...oh oh oh the 1950s!!!!!!!! (not in all things...however the evening dresses are something else again)...a tad keen on 1920s too
Donna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame, several years ago we did a home exchange in Granville, in Normandy. Christian Dior spent most of his childhood there in a lovely home with a serene garden overlooking the sea.

http://musee-dior-granville.com/

The home is now a museum and is filled with clothing he designed. All ab-so-bloody-lutely gorgeous! I would have worn any one of the outfits in complete comfort today. Truly the definition of classical! There were a couple of kind of far-out things from the seventies, when we all lost our heads for a bit - but for the most part, just timeless, classically beautiful clothes.

Last edited by Donna on Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There were a couple of kind of far out things from the seventies, when we all lost our heads for a bit

Donna, it wasn't just the seventies, what about the horrors worn in the 80s? Shocked

At least the 70s were not only wrong, but a good giggle looking back on them... and occasionally there was a stunning piece like the BIBA dress in black printed with gold stars and gold plastic star buttons. Also the velvet jackets for us men were fab! The flares I remember having to wear to school and with my skinny legs I looked like two yachts in full sail walking down the street!!! Embarassed
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darlings..my beloved husband had a tartan suit.....slightly flared pants...oh the cuffs...shoes to go ...heeled and those sort of beesting fronts...

and the jeans I recall...flares with silver stars appliqued..

long hair long beard...

he used to go to schools and speak about savings...there was school banking then...Commonwealth Bank...once, in a kindergarten class, he asked 'Do you know who I am?"...one bright little poppet said "Jesus".. Wink

enough of the '70s for one day.

Donna, I had only time to wave to Granville...can you imagine having to bypass? We were to be somewhere at some time...alas...ah well and all that...the colour of the house...so so pretty...
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still on fashion...Judy allow me a little wander off the topic..still within cooee of it Wink

"Christian Lacroix The Diary of a Collection"..exquisite book..I was going to write..especially page...

'n then thought especially all pages...

let's get dressed to the nines and party!...Griffin..where shall we party?

neither hot nor cold temp...just right temp for dressing to the nines methinks
georgia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how long this exhibit will be at the V&A? Not far enough into 2008 for me to plan a visit to ma tante, but I can hope...
Thanks...
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgia ma dear..you have until January 6 2008
georgia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrrrr.....not possible...but thank you, anyway, madame....(i must stay stateside to await a new granddaughter in january...not a bad trade, eh??)
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgia, you could always buy the book from the museum's online store..I've heard that it is truly an exquisite book...'n you'd have the lovely memory link with the babe....

go on...do it!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody remember the paper dress fad in the '60s?
I had one--a huge black & white photo of a rose on a white sleeveless
A-line. The armholes sort of rotted away, I tried to cut them bigger but eventually they got too big for decency!
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgia,

I got the catalogue and it is a lovely book with lots of very readable text and fabulous photos in. So it is one way of seeing the exhibition without actually seeing the exhibition! The exhibition was pretty fabulous tho'... sigh! You women have all the fun with clothes!
georgia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame and Griffin...you are very persuasive, and I may just do as you suggest...though, at this moment, the thought of purchasing yet another present (even for myself) is enough to make me faint! I could ask Santa...(Also, at 35 pounds + shipping, etc., with the US dollar in the toilet as it is, that book is likely to cost nearly $100...less for the paperback, but not much...)

But it is tempting...
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgia,

The paperback costs £25, so if you like I could get hold of it for you and send it. You would pay me four original sonnets + 3 limericks for p+p. This is of course on the Cyrano Lunar Economic Exchange model.

Of course the subjects of the sonnets would be up to you, tho' anything on food or costume or cats would be good. Otherwise the subject is entirely up to you. Sigh, I wish we did use poetry for currency, I would be a whole lot better off!

Or I could send you my copy and get myself another. Debbie, same goes for you, tho' I know you were going to get your brother to get you one.
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Griffin..where shall we party?

Madame, it ought to be a beach with much sand and sun and the endless blue of sea and sky...! Everyone brings some freshly made food and a bottle then we'll all be fed and can chat about all kinds of wonderful things.

BTW if you'd like a copy of the book, let me know. As per Georgia, the price is the same - four original sonnets + 3 limericks for p+p. At this rate, I will have lots of sonnets! How fab is that, eh?! Smile
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imagine if Griffin was Prime Minister of Great Britain!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: