Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The Golden Age exhibition at The V&A
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
georgia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my money, he can be President of the US -- but then, why would he want to be??

Despite the lovely offers to help, I think I shall pass on the catalogue for numerous reasons. However, if I feel like doing a bit of sonnet writing in the future, I know where I can find an audience!
simona

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote]Griffin..where shall we party? [/quote]
[quote="Griffin"][Madame, it ought to be a beach with much sand and sun and the endless blue of sea and sky.

600 km of white sand beaches and 320 sunny days per year is OK for you?
Or maybe a dolce farniente at 350 sunny days per year Red Sea resort ( Eilat) with fine sand beaches and the desert just "a cote" ??? A day trip to Petra(Jordan) for a little change of atmosphere ? Or a coffee across the border in Egypt ( more white sanded beaches and smoking is absolutely not forbidden in the desert...). Incredible sunrises at the Mount Sinai monastery ( Egypt)? Or a short trip to the Salomon mines in the Neguev(Israel)? The only thing you will not be short off are sunny days with clear blue sky ...

I for myself, I'm longing for some London mist and theaters, but January is too cold. So maybe March or April.

No more war, more tourism!!
David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simona---if I ever make it to your part of the world I'm going to have you write me a guidebook in advance! Very Happy
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simona - may I suggest the beautiful beach of Australia's Gold Coast where I'll be living from 30th December.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden Age...Gold Coast...that particular coast is now approaching even more goldenness...with The Barbara Dame 'n Bryan coming on board..

methinks Oz is giddy with excitement...

we could beach hop for our party...all over the globe...no problems at all Wink
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame,

Thank you, I shall of course count on your vote at election time! It's about time we had a democracy that was actually democratic and that was ethical and compassionate. Whether I could deliver that I don't know, but I wouldn't mind having a go. I would be the skinniest PM ever! And you can imagine me walking from Downing St to Parliament in my long blue coat, talking to the people on the way and taking notes...!

Georgia,

I don't think I'd get elected in the US, I'm too left wing by my nature. I want to put people before money, I'd want to create an American Health Service free at the point of delivery for all. I'd want to limit the powers of corporations to affect labour laws and to raise the standards of education for all. Also decent housing for everyone ought not to be a problem with the amount of money in the US economy. I'd have to hire Jesus Siegfried to advise me on the money side tho'! How could I lose with Jesus on my side in the US?!! Er, oh yeah, that's why I wouldn't get elected in the US... I'm an atheist, ahem.

Simona,

I'm not fussy where the beach is, but I will admit that beach hopping sounds great. That way we get lots of warm beaches. My friend Bridgett keeps wanting me to come over to Florida and tempts me with the beaches. But I've read Carl Hiaasen's books and I'm not sure I want to live in Florida. There are also the Indian beaches. The one off Bombay had a band of tiny seashells in the morning I remember. Very pretty. And Goa is famous for it's beaches too. Even here, Cornish beaches and further along the south coast at Southampton there are sandy beaches.

The beach at Brighton however is pebbles... but then it makes up for it with Brighton being such an easygoing town with lots of cultural stuff going on.

When/if you come to London in the spring, let me know and we can meet up, either at the V&A or at the National Gallery. Then we can say together, 'No more war, more coffee!'
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so easily imagined dear Griffin...so so easily...golly I'd take up British citizenship just so I could vote Wink

I'm a citizen of Planet Earth anyway...
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anybody remember the paper dress fad in the '60s?

No but I remember the paper knickers.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure do!

and hot pants...
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember hot pants... a young lad I was then just hitting my teens... so I definitely remember hot pants!! Short shorts made a comeback this summer over here worn very often with black tights. And in spite of the cold I've seen young women still wearing shorts with tights!! Shocked

While I am wearing long trousers, boots, two layers of shirt and a black poloneck (I love black poloneck jumpers) over which I have my German air force long coat that buttons up with a high collar and flares out over where my hips would be if I wasn't so skinny! Smile

Yesterday I saw a woman wearing a sleeveless camisole top and jeans!!! Shocked The temperature is bitterly cold and there's a wind with steel edges too but she was strolling through town like it was the height of summer!! By 'eck they make 'em tough 'round 'ere!

But I have also noticed the comeback of the Ugg boots on lots of young students. They make those young women look very sweet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: