Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Proust Questionnaire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have changed ma mind...will complete it by midnight Wink
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait! ...but midnite...in Australia...in the middle of summer...
will never arrive...
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes it will...you just wait!

thank goodness it isn't that oh oh ohhhhhhh so meltlingly hot weather that usually comes our way at this time..

a feast of cooking going on here...the bug has bitten!...raspberry sorbet placed in freezer...some pork for dinner..our wedding anniversary...potato pancakes with applesauce..simply because I loveeee them to bits!

'n the answers by midnight!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok..big deep breath..here goes:

1. What is your idea of perfect happiness? Remembering that the moment is all..has just begun to rain..I was standing on a step at the front of the house..still I was..watching various leaves being gently struck by raindrops..to live in the moment is perfect happiness
2. What is your greatest fear? That I will forget the above.
3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? I invented the word: procrastination.
4. What is the trait you most deplore in others? Am trying to keep deploration to a minimum...
5. Which living person do you most admire? All six and a half billion of us..the bravery of ticking the 'yes' box to life!
6. What is your greatest extravagance? A doll..1974 Montmartre...Yvette Guilbert...to this day I don't know how much it was...I do believe I simply blanked it from my mind...her nose is a little damaged..needs repair..will post a photo ..soon Wink
7. What is your current state of mind? joyous
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue? Industry
9. On what occasion do you lie? When I'm fearful in some way or other.
10. What do you most dislike about your appearance? One foot's bigger than the other.
11. Which living person do you most despise? None...doesn't mean I can sometimes get close...however I try now to remember that we're all on this journey...that I don't know what I'd do in such and such a case...that I've not travelled in so and so's shoes...
12. What is the quality you most like in a man? Humour!
13. What is the quality you most like in a woman? Being open to deep conversation.
14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse? I think my utterances of 'darling' have reached 9 000 000 000 000!
15. What or who is the greatest love of your life? Enlightenment (then there would be those who say by writing that I haven't grasped it...ah well..my answer is my answer!)
16. When and where were you happiest? When I realised life was the mountain climb...when I looked out and understood the interconnectedness of all...the joy of understanding that wondrous reality
17. Which talent would you most like to have? To sit at a piano and play the blues...singing in French of course!
18. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? Well since the New Year is almost upon us...am going to work on a little less procrastination...and perhaps less interior sulking when life doesn't go according to ma plan..more remembering that I've but one life to work on, and to leave the unspoken demands be...
19. What do you consider your greatest achievement? The climbing..
20. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be? Either a Californian redwood or a beach
21. Where would you most like to live? Somewhere in France where the entire population of the area was aware that I love the language..and cared enough to aid me!
22. What is your most treasured possession? A cabinet my husband made for me...to house my collection of treasures..he found an old wardrobe...took out sections...leadlight...clear glass..a joy...
23. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Feeling stuck in one's weaknesses...those 'I can't turn to my light' times..ghastly!
24. What is your favorite occupation? May I have three? Looking at the sky, reading, and cooking.
25. What is your most marked characteristic? Would have to say the shock of white hair...
26. What do you most value in your friends? Their willingness to hear my story...and their willingness to share theirs..
27. Who are your favorite writers? Many...Michael J Gelb in particular because I loved his collection of exercises...Neil Simon, Virginia W, Auden, Leo Rosten, Karin Alvtegen...
28. Who is your hero of fiction? Vianne Rocher
29. Which historical figure do you most identify with? Noone in particular...oh I've come back to this one...goodness me..but of course..Galileo Galilei...to know yet not to know... Wink Wink Wink
30. Who are your heroes in real life? Everyone...to be alive is to be heroic...
31. What are your favorite names? ah..I was going to call our son Anton...seems I was the only one who liked it...he, Andrew, told me he wouldn't have been impressed! rather like Gretchen, Angus, Comptess de Provence...
32. What is it that you most dislike? Golly, am sure I could have had quite a list yesterday...today however...one of those days where I'm aware that all is because it simply is...a collection of choices on the journey...that what all life is methinks...perhaps the oftentimes mess of my space..
33. What is your greatest regret? None.. we make choices and learn from them...going back...backwards..nope the moment thank you...the moment is enough!!!
34. How would you like to die? ah..that one's easy...many who know me would know as well...laughing...how much fun would THAT be!
35. What is your motto? Life's time...

so there Mr Griffin...4.45pm...time to cook the pork...apples to be peeled for the sauce...duck pate for Andy as a gift...see loadssssssssssss of time!

would love to read some more lists....go on...if you're at all tempted!

Last edited by madameshawshank on Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:09 am; edited 4 times in total
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin,

How tender that all sounded... makes me wanna give ya a beeg hug. Fears... I've known a few.. down each and every byway... tormented... yes I know that feeling... the cake or the chocolate, the champagne or the bordeaux?!! Ahem, I'm guessing tho' that wasn't quite what you meant, so more hugs!!

Quote:
23. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? This is something I have become aquainted with recently and am not ready to explore.

Yeah misery's like that - doesn't encourage you to get to know him better. I only hope it's over and you can forget him.

gingerpale,

If I'd known what an utterly bizarre and farcical thing my life was going to be I swear I'd never have gotten involved. I'd have mentioned a prior engagement, a man I had to see about a cat or something!! Of course, I know that life and death don't have innate values because as Billy Shakespeare put it, 'Nothing is good or bad, but thinking makes it so.'

It's just every so often I would like my life to actually work properly instead of a badly tuned in radio that keeps getting all the stations I don't want.

Madame,

I would never presume to demand... only to wait in anticipation like a cat beside you when you're having fish! The occasional meow, but nothing more!

Happy Wedding Anniversary to you and Sieg by the way!

From your answers, Madame the Seeker!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not toooooo much delving into answers! Smile

anyone out there done all the Myers Briggsish stuff?...I know quite an extreme E and a not quite as extreme I...amazing to watch the two...one gets just about ALL her energy from out there...and the other...so much of her energy from within...

I dabble Wink
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually amazed at the insight these simple questions give us about people's personalities. Griffin, Erin & Madame, you're brave & full of humanity.
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBJ,

Brave? Moi?!! That would be me hiding behind the sofa... just in case!! Smile
A very dear friend of mine told me years ago that real strength was being able to endure and survive what life throws at you. In that case I must be incredibly strong!! But somehow I don't feel it.

I found the hardest question was the 'Who are your favourite writers?', which I suspect is hard for most people given how many great writers affect all of us. For me it's not just from a reader's perspective, but also as a writer myself. That makes it very tough as it would be for the favourite artist.

As for 'humanity', I can't imagine anyone from this little community being without humanity. So much kindness and humour here... I found new Second Family brothers and sisters here - precisely because of their humanity... ok and their wit too!! Wink

Just reading Erin's made me like her all the more and I already liked her a lot! Madame's is so utterly like her that it was a reminder of meeting her all that time ago - a joy!

I wonder what Clotilde's answers would be... hmmm... I admit I had a go at this for fun. I didn't expect anything more from it and I suspect that you'd have to know the answer-er to see anything of them in it. I don't see much of me in it, but then I'm so close to me to see me as others do.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone once told me that life is not all Chocolate and Zucchini, I wish she was wrong.
I have enjoyed reading the questionaires, they have enriched certain personalities I have come to adore. Thanks for sharing.

"It's hot ham water."
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lofty lovely answers Madame, worth the midnight vigil! Erin fragile, (you haven't seemed so in the past, Erin. I wish I could flippantly say all will be well when Jon Stewart returns..) Griffin tragic, but then jokes about it to soothe us! Your answers sound soundly satisfied. The hug giver needs no hugs? Ha.
(By the way, you didn't really invent the word "procrastination"--but you DID invent the word "deploration"!) You're so right about your hair--you could be a Kennedy. (Are you?) And think how well Vianne would have gotten along with Galileo!

Happy Anniversary, it makes me smile to think that your husband doesn't call you Madame Shawshank, probably ever!

I wish more people had responded, I'm too literal to be creative with answers. Perfect happiness? Well, when everything's right and nothin' ain't wrong, of course.
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, GP - my answers have been sitting here for days, poor shy things. But since you prodded so gently, here we go!

1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Feeling comfortable and challenged at the same time.
2. What is your greatest fear?
Being tortured while my family is forced to watch.
3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
Impatience
4. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Dishonesty
5. Which living person do you most admire?
The Dalai Lama, for his unrelenting generosity of spirit.
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
Fresh avocados or Kiss My Face handsoap.
7. What is your current state of mind?
Bewildered
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Tidiness
9. On what occasion do you lie?
When I feel defiant toward the recipient.
10. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
My deep set eyes
11. Which living person do you most despise?
Thugs & cronies
12. What is the quality you most like in a man?
Courage, openness & hunger for growth
13. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
Courage, openness & hunger for growth
14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
“That’s funny.”
15. What or who is the greatest love of your life?
The reds.
16. When and where were you happiest? ?
In Alhambra when my kiddo was little & we were poorer.
17. Which talent would you most like to have?
I have it - drawing & stuff.
18. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I’d be less shy all the time.
19. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
TBD
20. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
A dancer.
21. Where would you most like to live?.
Paris or Madrid
22. What is your most treasured possession?
My cello
23. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Unconscious incompetence
24. What is your favorite occupation?
Painter
25. What is your most marked characteristic?
Polite frankness
26. What do you most value in your friends?
Loyalty
27. Who are your favorite writers? ?
I don’t know
28. Who is your hero of fiction?
John Galt
29. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
Gandhi, because of his unrelenting desire to “experiment”
30. Who are your heroes in real life?
The reds.
31. What are your favorite names?
Regina, Hazelnut, Pearl, Sofia
32. What is it that you most dislike?
Deception & spiders
33. What is your greatest regret? ?
That my mother didn’t quit my father when I was a kid.
34. How would you like to die?
Old & happy, in midair.
35. What is your motto?
Fake it till you make it.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, sweetbabyjames! One question... "reds"? as in "from each...ability...to each...need" -- that kind of red?
Or am I unaware of some benevolent scarlet beings from recent children's movies/books?

Don't think I won't search for "Kiss My Face" soap! What a cool brand name!

"That's funny" --as in 'that makes me laugh', or 'that's odd' ?

"Bewildered" as in 'agog with all the colors in the great tapestry of life',
or 'my life/the world is too much for me now'.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingerpale, I look forward to the day that Jon Stewart returns and my torment comes from the choice of champagne of bordeaux, (how did he know that?). When those are my worries the world will be right again.

I think you should do the questionaire. Literal, schmiteral.

Oh, and I agree about the Kiss My Face soap. Ths lip balm is pretty great too.

SBJ, great answers. I think we are an interesting bunch.

"It's hot ham water."
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, I meant to go back and elaborate. Nothing against leftists in theory but in my life, I've identified a certain other type of person as "red". They are creative, curious, passionate and unstoppable. They're characters.

Kiss My Face is usually in the "whole foods" aisle of the grocery store. I love their foaming handsoap in either Grapefruit & Bergamot or Lavender & Chamomile. It makes a real treat of washing your hands! http://www.kissmyfacewebstore.com/list/KMFFOAM/1

For me, "that's funny" usually means it makes me laugh - I laugh way too often and at inappropriate times. I think there's a word for that in German. But sometimes I do say it when it means "odd", which also tends to make me laugh. Embarassed

Bewildered at the moment has more to do with the drama going on. A lot of positive changes but some that are harder to accept. So much to learn, so far to go.

Thanks Erin & I agree - would love to read gingerpale's answers. I bet they would be honest, astute and refreshing! So, GP...?
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this took so long! Here ya go--

1. What is your idea of perfect happiness? "Perfect" would eliminate all suffering, however slight, from the entire universe--so that works for me!

2. What is your greatest fear? Aside from the obvious horror/terror scenarios, I have a pretty serious driving phobia.

3. What is the trait you deplore most in yourself? I rarely see the "big picture"--usually because I haven't done the research/homework...

4. What is the trait you most deplore in others? Rich people stealing, enriching themselves at the expense of others. There's been so much of it on display here in the USA lately.

5. Which living person do you most admire? Fareed Zakaria comes to mind first, he's a good'un!

6. What is your greatest extravagance? I'll buy anything heart-shaped, and if you paint a rose on it I'll pay double.

7. What is your current state of mind? Interested lighthearted contentment--I'm having fun completing these questions for a group of people I've liked from day one.

8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue? Any "virtue" that interferes with the Golden Rule.

9. On what occasion do you lie? When I think it's a better choice than the truth!

10. What do you most dislike about your appearance? It prevents me from being gorgeous!

11. Which living person do you most despise? Probably our American "televangelists"--preachers who have TV shows about goodness but really about greed.

12. What is the quality you most like in a man? The ability to appreciate stuff I've never even heard of, and the patience to explain it to me.

13. What is the quality you like most in a woman? What's not to like in a woman?

14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse? I absently talk babytalk to the dog a lot, and I say "Get out of the kitchen!" at least twice a day to Rich.

15. What or who is the greatest love of your life? My Rich, who is this moment watching an idiotic television program that I hate.

16. When and where were you happiest? Each time I fell in love--that first rush when you can't bear to be parted. (This has happened thrice, the last time in 1977.)

17. Which talent would you most like to have? Out of the chorus line, into the spotlight--dancin'!

18. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I would double (at least) my self-discipline.

19. What do you consider your greatest achievement? Oh please, modesty forbids....
(My domesticity prevents all but everyday accomplishments!)

20. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be? Umm--something pretty and useful please? (NOT a shark, NOT a sports car-- you get the idea.)

21. Where would you most like to live? The Greek islands, at least years ago when I saw them, were pretty close to perfection. But people-watching, in any big city, would keep me happy forever too.

22. What is your most treasured possession? My doggie Max. He's a black Labrador, and he's 14--uh oh...

23. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Doesn't everyone answer this pretty much the same way? I'd rather not dwell on specific situations!

24. What is your favorite occupation? If this means how do I best like to occupy my time, the Internet never bores me. Doing almost anything else eventually does. (Yes, even cooking!)

25. What is your most marked characteristic? I don't catch colds. I had the flu in 2000, that's my only recollection of sickness as an adult. Strange but true.

26. What do you value most in your friends? I saw this on Oprah-- Hypothetical question: For a million dollars, would you agree never to have contact with your best friend again? One lady answered:
"If she were really my best friend, she'd understand." This cracked me up!

27. Who are your favorite writers? The ones who have given me the most pleasure over years are probably J.D. Salinger and Dylan Thomas.

28. Who is your hero of fiction? Dean Moriarty--oops that's nonfiction--but just barely.

29. (Phew! This is a long questionnaire!) Which historical figure do you most identify with? Hmm--I s'pose Irish immigrant women, "lace curtain Irish", New York in the 1930s, I'd fit right in to that bit of history.

30. Who are your heroes in real life? People who go to really poor/dangerous places and do really hard work.

31. What are your favorite names? Bridget and Bernadette.

32. What is it that you most dislike? Right now, an organization called "Focus on the Family". Based in Colorado.
Powerful! Harmful!

33. What is your greatest regret? Wish I'd been exposed to foreign languages as a child, when learning would have been effortless. It oughta be a law, IMO.

34. How would you like to die? Hey, how would *you* like a smack?

35. Motto? I like "Cats yawn because they know there's nothing to do." Isn't that restful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: