Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Women of the resistance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Women of the resistance Reply with quote

Hi there, I saw this article this morning and it got to me. I hope you enjoy it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/7142424.stm

"It's hot ham water."
Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banal perhaps, but it reminds me of that bit in Casablanca when the Nazis are singing loudly and the rest of the bar respond by singing La Marseillaise. That always makes me cry... when Rick says that a few little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world... and yet those little people still went ahead and fought for their homes and their families and the people of the French Republic and yes for Britain too. Because they had no choice. Sometimes, just sometimes Dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori, which goes to show that it is not for governments, but for the sake of humanity that people will fight and defend each other's rights to be who they are.

Indeed, Vive La France! Tous pour un et un pour tous!
msue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, thanks for the link - I'm alway glad to read about strong women who helped pave the way for so many. I went through school at a time when women's contributions and accomplishments hardly were mentioned in the history books.

And that scene from Casa Blanca, Griffin, my favorite from the entire film - a brilliant metaphor for the power of collective strength and determination.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The melody of la Marseillaise (sp?) is so stirring--perfect for an anthem. Also, it's nice that probably all famous scenes from movies are on youTube by now, (including this one) how convenient is that?

Erin, I enjoyed that article very much, thank you!
Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article Erin.

One of the women I know here (actually my "adopted" french Mum) was one of the women in the resistance. She tells the most fabulous stories and is the most vivacious 80-something you have ever met! Also one of the "unmarried mothers" mentioned in the article...... which is an intriguing story in itself.

Imagine what courage these women had to defy tradition, family and the regime in order to do what they felt passionate about. Truely amazing women in an amazing time in our history.
msue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good YouTube tip, gingerpale!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iYbEPZVVIA
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite part of that scene is Yvonne, previously thought to have gone over to the enemy is singing her ever loving heart out......"what a fool I was to fall in love with a man like you".

Debbie, You are so fortunate to have that connection. I wish I could meet her.
My husband's grandmother was in the Navy during WWII, but I was never able to meet her.

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: