Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Best restaurants in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been some years since I was in Edmonton but the High Level Diner was a favourite. The food wasn't fancy but it was very very good. Good chili, soups, sandwiches. As I recall they had a lot of vegetarian choices as well (vegetarian that tasted good to non vegetarians as well as vegetarians) I would be surprised if it weren't still there.

It's on 109th street just on the south side of the river with a view of the river. (Near the university)

I just did a websearch and found this possibly useful site:
http://www.ualberta.ca/EDMONTON/RESTAURANTS/

the entry about the High Level Diner:
http://www.ualberta.ca/EDMONTON/RESTAURANTS/data/rest.69.html
baronism

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: metropolitain? Reply with quote

David - have you by chance heard anything about or eaten at the Metropolitain Brasserie, owned by the same guys as Empire Grill?
________
no2 vaporizer

Last edited by baronism on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
David

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an article in the Citizen about it a few weeks ago. I'm not sure that it has opened yet. Am looking forward to it when it does, sounds like a big Parisienne style brasserie serving French standards.
Leo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restaurants in Ottawa.
I have been thinking of moving back in the vicinity and might be doing a little exploring in the next few months.
I quite like a big ol' wine list dominated by a good selection that compliments food regardless of menu trends and favours local wines too. And a good local Italian is a must. (Pellegrini's in Melbourne would be perfect.)
Also a good deli.
Any suggestions?
David

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely check out Beckta! La Strada or Mama Theresa's for Italian, but there are many to choose from, the Little Italy area is awash with decent Italian restaurants.
CC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edmonton has plenty of great restaurants. All of my recommendations are some cheap eats b/c I lived in Edmonton as a student.
1. Upper Crust Cafe: close by High Level Diner on 109 st and 85 ave. Simple, organic food; a great place for lunch or a light dinner. Nothing out of the ordinary; sandwiches, soup, quiche but FABULOUS desserts!!
2. Block 1912: also a nice lunch or light dinner place but you will never go there to eat savoury food. It's all about the desserts there. mmmmmmmmmmm!!!
3. Spicy Kitchen (or maybe it was Garden??): on Calgary Trail. Not a place to go if you want good service or a tranquil environment. They have this great $2.50 special of hot and sour soup and GREAT green onion cake.
4. Not too sure of the name (I realize that it isn't too helpful) but there is a great Laotian restaurant in Chinatown (97 street, close by Lucky 97 supermarket). Very small (6 tables) and cozy and of course great food. For those of you who are not familiar with Laotian food, it is similar to Thai.
5. Lee House: also on Calgary Trail. Home-style Korean food. Soo good.

That's all for now.
the clean plate club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must, you must try the chocolate sparkle cookies at Senses, the tiny coffee shop in the lobby of the Crowne Plaza Hotel on West Georgia St. The Vancouver Art Museum is across the street, so it's nice to get a snack and sit on the steps.
Elizagard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: chambar Reply with quote

Chambar has the best mussels I've ever had in my life. Large, plump, soft, fresh, and served in an excellent sauce. Even the guy at the restaurant across the street commented on how great their mussels are. We shared them as an appetizer between 4 of us, but next time the whole order is mine! It's a bit on the expensive side so is a splurge. $18 Congolaise :Mussels cooked with fresh tomato, smoked chilli and cilantro with a touch of coconut cream and lime

The desserts were also good especially the waffle.
Franca

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: What does Susur Lee cook? Reply with quote

He's based in Toronto, right? Is he all that he's cracked up to be?

As for other parts, I discovered a nice Brazilian bakery when I was in Vancouver in December- they made fresh pao de queijo (cheese buns) there. Mmmm... Sadly, I forget the name.
Mariesoleil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few good restaurants I used to go to when I lived in Ottawa:

Best desserts: Oh So Good on Murray St. They have really great cake.

Pub food: Heart and Crown on Clarence, my favorite there was the fish and chips. Yummy.

Tex-Mex: Lone Star. I think there is one on Baseline and one on Carling. There fajitas made with homemade tortillas are to die for.

Steak House: The Keg

For breakfast one of my favorites was The Lieutenant's Pump on Elgin, they have the best breakfast sausage which I normally don't like but theirs is homemade.

For a deli I know there's Nate's on Rideau, I wasn't a big fan but then again I'm not a big fan of smoked meat sandwiches.

Fairouz on Somerset for middle east cuisine is very good.

We also used to go to this small Thai restaurant on Somerset, I'm not sure if it still exists though...It had the best spring rolls. Maybe David can say if it's still there or not it was called Pacific Village.
David

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly the Pacific Village has gone, but there are so many good Asian restaurants in the area I hardly noticed it's passing. It was a favourite of ours too. Now for Vietnamese I like The Vietnam Kitchen on Bank St and for Thai I just fell in love with a place on Somerset simply called Hot Chilies!
Deste

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try spending some time in the regional forum devoted to that part of Canada over at egullet.org: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showforum=74. Members from Vancouver seem to be a tight bunch and write reviews regularly. Be sure to check out more than the first "page" of topics since there is an excellent one on Chinese food that is now on page 2.
theRoadtripper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had dinner at the Metropolitain in Ottawa and was very impressed. A few folks told me they weren't terribly happy with their visit since it opened last year but I thought their food was actually really good.

Milestones in Ottawa makes a terrific brunch, it's also new and sits right beside Metropolitan in downtown Ottawa. They make the best eggs benedict variety I've had in a long time...( but the service is terribly slow)..it's worth the wait though!

Also tried So Good and Hot Peppers on Somerset recently (the Chinatown area in Ottawa) these are both excellent restaurants with a good variety, So Good is pretty diner-like though so it's not a place if you're looking for atmosphere. I wish there were more vegetarian options at Hot Peppers but the food is all really tasty and well presented too.
David

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second theRoadtripper's suggestionof So Good for good Chinese food, a cut above a lot of the other one's in the area.

And for up-scale fish and seafood I have to rave about a wonderful new addition to the scene! The Whalesbone on Bank St. is a tiny, perfect little gem of a place. Wonderful fresh fish cooked in innovative styles, perfectly fresh, shucked in front of you oysters marvelously presented, great, friendly service. Pleasant atmosphere--but book ahead--alas the place has all of 4 tables! We ate seated at the bar and that was just fine by us, but you'd want a table if it were to be an intimate evening. (and what made it all sweeter is the fact that my friend Brian paid and it was on expense account--yahoo!)
Avala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Upper Crust Cafe Edmonton Alberta Reply with quote

I have tried most of these restaurants. My favorite was the Upper Crust...great trout dish.

Check out their menus
http://www.cafeuppercrust.ca

CC wrote:
Edmonton has plenty of great restaurants. All of my recommendations are some cheap eats b/c I lived in Edmonton as a student.
1. Upper Crust Cafe: close by High Level Diner on 109 st and 85 ave. Simple, organic food; a great place for lunch or a light dinner. Nothing out of the ordinary; sandwiches, soup, quiche but FABULOUS desserts!!
2. Block 1912: also a nice lunch or light dinner place but you will never go there to eat savoury food. It's all about the desserts there. mmmmmmmmmmm!!!
3. Spicy Kitchen (or maybe it was Garden??): on Calgary Trail. Not a place to go if you want good service or a tranquil environment. They have this great $2.50 special of hot and sour soup and GREAT green onion cake.
4. Not too sure of the name (I realize that it isn't too helpful) but there is a great Laotian restaurant in Chinatown (97 street, close by Lucky 97 supermarket). Very small (6 tables) and cozy and of course great food. For those of you who are not familiar with Laotian food, it is similar to Thai.
5. Lee House: also on Calgary Trail. Home-style Korean food. Soo good.

That's all for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: