Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Ever used a personal shopper?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acadiana

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Ever used a personal shopper? Reply with quote

Has anyone here ever used a personal shopper?

I read recently in the paper that many department stores have personal shoppers on staff. The one at the Lord & Taylor near me is even free!

I want to give the L&T shopper a try, but I'm nervous. Has anyone ever done this?
Barbara

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No but it's a job I'd love.
Acadiana

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too! Anyone else ever use the personal shopper at L&T?
Griffin

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love it, but would be hopeless at it. There are certain shops I shouldn't be allowed in without a responsible adult! Book shops for a start!!

Have never come across one even tho' I've heard of them! I think there are shops in darkest London where they have been seen! Smile
Nicki

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people shouldn't be allowed into ANY shops without a personal shopper! They should be made compulsory for anyone with no clue about colour coordination, or fashion nightmares (ie socks and sandals, going braless when you are blessed with a chest, or polyester in general)

You should definately go for it - more than likely they will be able to suggest trying something on that you would never normally go for. And if they're good at their jobs, it'll look good on you! Just don't feel pressured into buying anything that you don't really want. And say no to any personal shopper who looks a state...it's like having your haircut by a girl with dreadlocks!
Acadiana

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicki wrote:
Some people shouldn't be allowed into ANY shops without a personal shopper! They should be made compulsory for anyone with no clue about colour coordination, or fashion nightmares (ie socks and sandals, going braless when you are blessed with a chest, or polyester in general)

You should definately go for it - more than likely they will be able to suggest trying something on that you would never normally go for. And if they're good at their jobs, it'll look good on you! Just don't feel pressured into buying anything that you don't really want. And say no to any personal shopper who looks a state...it's like having your haircut by a girl with dreadlocks!

If everyone had their own personal shopper... Oh, what a glorious world it would be!

Seems like you folks all live across the pond - so no Lord & Taylor over there. Smile You are missing out! Great clothes AND a free personal shopper. It's fabulous. Wink
David

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could use a personal shopper---always could have--no clothes sense at all. For years people said all my shirts looked like wallpaper! Oh well, fortunately I'm not a clothes horse either so it's never really mattered.
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least they didn't say you looked like a wall!! I'll be your Personal Shopper, David. ...er, that's a promise, not a threat!!! Wink I looove shopping and I admit that buying menswear is a real challenge because so much of it is dreadful.

I have to look extra hard to find the things I want. I'd love to know how to make my own clothing so I wouldn't have to buy the rubbish on sale.
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin, just go and take a class. Or even better teach yourself!

I taught myself to sew as I had trouble buying clothes that fitted and I liked.... this was back in the day when I really did have a curvaceous catwoman figure.... Laughing

I now have 3 sewing machines and know how to use all of them with a vengence Wink Thanks to a male friend of mine who made all his own clothes and serviced his sewing machines when they needed it. He now makes clothes for his wife and children as well. Best dressed family you have ever seen.

Start off by doing something simple like making a cushion (straight seams, no tricky bits). Then progress to shorts and trousers. After mastering them, start on shirts. If you lived closer (like same continent) I would give you a few lessons and get you started. Instead you will just have to take my total confidence in your abilities.

I would be hopeless as a personal shopper for clothes as I look at the fabric and the amount of sewing and think "they are charging how much for that?!?" and feel ripped off.

Must admit I would love to be a personal shopper for household goods, cooking utensils etc. I would be in heaven!!!! sigh....

David, your heart is what matters, and I think it is pretty special. Who cares about the "window dressing"!

When you try the personal shopper, let me know how it goes. They have them in a few big shops here but I have never tried them.
emilyj

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Debbie, I'm so impressed that you taught yourself to sew! Sewing was the only subject that I ever failed at high school- I spent the entire time unpicking this pocket that I sewed on backwards about 500 times Very Happy so I'm always impressed by anyone who can sew, even more so those who taught themselves!
I agree that personal shopping would be a fantastic job but I would be hopeless at it- I would just get jealous and want to take it all home myself
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post had me giggling Emily. (BTW, I love the name Emily and it is the name of our "adopted" daughter who we met last year... long story)

When we had sewing classes at school I had broken my wrist and so could not participate. The teacher made me a skirt out of the fabric I had bought in for the classes. Funniest thing was that I received an A for that class!!!! As my Mum said later "the teacher couldn't fail herself could she". Laughing

I agree that it would be hard to part with some of the things you would buy as a personal shopper. Hopefully they would get a sort of staff discount type thing at the places they shop at though for their own use. That might be too tempting also...
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at the moment the best I can do is a blanket stitch and sewing on buttons!!

But I have basic patterns for historic costume in a book called 'The Evolution of Costume'. I am trying to build up the courage to try an 18th century Justaucorps in paper first. Then if it works, I'll have a go at making a Griffin sized one!
David

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh griffin I suspect you'd be a whizz at designing and executing your own clothing! as for myself, I buy a couple shirts and a pair of jeans every few years--and 2 pairs of shoes (one brown, one black) when the other ones get to rotted by the winter salt. I'm very lucky right now because I can wear all of Dick's stuff--and he has great taste!
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have even been nicking womenswear... er, just trousers and flat-heeled knee-high boots!! Nothing more. I'm skinny and men's trousers here in the UK start from a 30" waist and go up from there. Women's trousers in a UK size 10 fit me so I get those.

It's a weird thing... trousers and boots were originally menswear, now they are womenswear too. It used to be that men wore boots and shoes and women wore shoes... since the 19th century women began to wear boots and shoes and now men wear shoes, women wear boots and shoes.

Bah! I love boots! I want a pair of 17th century style men's boots, 18th century thigh-high men's riding boots, 19th century top boots! Sigh... but I make the best of what I find from women's boots. I have a European size 40 (UK 7 - US - 9 or 9 1/2) so I can just get away with it. Just.

I want those old style shirts in cotton now called 'pirate' shirts! Rolling Eyes But 18th century style shirts. And the thought of wearing 18th century coats with my usual women's trousers... boot cut of course... sigh!

Strangely, if a woman wears men's clothes she can get away with it. If a man wore a dress or a skirt tho'... it's a whole 'nother story. This sort of thing fascinates me.
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin, I think men in sarongs (dhoti, lungi, etc) look very cute. It's very nice weekend wear. Definately fine in the summer, but skirts don't make much sense on anyone in cold weather.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: