Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The C&Z Questionnaire!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin, I have cooked and eaten your excellent chicken!-- or your father's, I should say. (And from what you've said about your late mother's relished cooking, probably much of her design is here too.)
No kidding, this is special--I rubbed all the spices, mooshed into a paste with lemon juice as directed, into the bird--under the skin--last night and cooked it tonight (3 hours at 300F) in a covered casserole not much bigger than the chicken.
We enjoyed it so much, a "keeper", no doubt about it. Thank you, Griffin.
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingerpale,

Given dad's (and especially mum's) loose approach to measuring I am soooo glad it worked! Dad was also saying things like, 'Not too much, just a little of...' until I pressed him to 'About a teaspoonful, not a lot!!!'

It was good I admit and the moisture of the chicken makes it good too. I basted it halfway through and we did roast potatoes, sliced parsnips with it.

The salmon I did as suggested here, with fennel, parsley and slices of lemon. The cat across the road, who got the head and tail apparently took the tail in his mouth and ran outside into the garden with it!! I think he wanted a private gourmet relationship with it! Wink

Bainst,

I am still working out how I send you some goodies, so it might be end of January (I get paid by the hour and don't start until the 14th dagnabbit!) but I am planning it all. You will get something from this side of the Atlantic.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerpale, My aunt lives and has an orchard just outside of Beaverton in North Plains. What a great place. I know all about Missoula, I've been on many a trip around Montana. A close friend of my dad's was head of the Agriculture Dept. at the University in Bozeman which is partly why we got out that way.

bainst, You're very welcome. I hope you enjoy the recipe.

"It's hot ham water."
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm so heartened by what happened in Iowa last night I wouldn't mind living there!
bluedog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, gp and bainst: you can now have Beecher's World's Best Mac and Cheese shipped from Pike Place Market right to your oven!!

http://www.beechershandmadecheese.com/shop_macncheese.html
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, sorry to disappoint, but I live in Hillsboro, actually. I did not mean to tease anyone! Its not far, from here to there, actually. North Plains is five minutes from me... a visit when you are in town would be neat! Bring Bainst with ya! I'll MAKE you guys the Dungeness Mac-n-cheese!

The cookbook I bought has just delightful recipes from all over the Portland (and state) region. Some places I have dined at (Wildwood, for one), some I cannot wait to... Northwest cuisine is certainly unique and worth publishing, not unlike the brilliant cuisine out of Clotilde's kitchen- both use the freshest things on hand and create a masterpiece out of them.

PDX Sat Mkt is a total zoo, can't wait to take Brian there once it opens again!

GP- I just moved, but I'd love to hug the nearest Iowan I can get my hands on, and if it takes moving, well, so be it!
David

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have a lovely little chicken all stuffed and smothered in a gloriously scented paste just waiting for the oven. I'd planned to do it this evening but forgot I was being taken out for dinner tonight (birthday present) and am going out tomorrow for dinner as per usual with the chosen family--so the little beggar is going to get to infuse for a few days in the refrigerator before I actually get to eat the beastie. Ah anticiption will only make it better! Really like the look and smell of the paste GRiff! Very Happy
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In about six months we are moving and depending where we go are hoping to travel through that area to visit family ands firends. We just may have to get together for good Northwest dinner!

Mmm.....Beechers.

"It's hot ham water."
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, just wanted to wish you a belated but very Happy Birthday. Hope your dinner was great, and the infusing chicken was too.

I'm going to cook it tonight to take away camping. We're going beach camping on the Coorong for a few days. That's 'Storm Boy' country for anyone who remembers the children's novel by Colin Thiele or the movie which was made in the '70s. We're taking a few teenage boys, a ton of food and more books than we could possibly read in 4 days.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Happy 21st Birthday!! ... again! Wink

Good to know you're being spoiled rotten on your birthday too!! It's 'cos you're worth it!! I hope you don't get given socks as my mum did at one point much to my disappointment. She said she'd run out of imagination at that point! But she did make up for it with a fabulous birthday lunch. So it wasn't a total loss of a 13/14th birthday!!

We didn't marinade our chicken so yours is liable to be really full of flavour by the time it gets to the table. You may need to have wine with it. No particular reason, just a good excuse to have wine!!

Erin... are you drooling?! Smile It would be great if you and Ye Fabled Knifethrower got together over food and sorted out the world's problems! Tho' not me obviously, I am one of the world's problems that is very good at hiding, so there!

Judy,

Camping, teen boys and books... I'm just glad you have all that food, tho' you might want a mobile hospital with you too given what teen boys can get up to!!! Ahem, not that I was at all like that when I was a teen... honest! Well er, mostly. Good luck and don't forget to tell ghost stories around a fire... at night. It's always good to scare your teens at least once in their lives, just so they know you still can.
Donna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm definitely excited by Griffin's chicken recipe - but I am sorry that Dungeness mac'n'cheese does not excite me! I love crab but making crab cakes is about the wildest I get with it. Give me a fresh cooked crab and some cracking tools and leave me alone! I prefer my crab fresh out of the shell - no mayo, no butter, no cocktail sauce, no lemon. A bottle of bubbly - of course - is all that's needed! Wink

OK - let's see about this questionnaire:

Favorite new recipe - Jarret de veau a la cuillere. Melts in your mouth!

Favorite DIY project - I don't suppose I can put the quilt for Ben here, since it isn't even cut out. I'll have to get back to you on this one!

Favorite new toy - New double oven! Finally!

Favorite new cutlery - my new mandoline! Thank you Joyce!

New ingredient - Dried chestnuts - they can be bought all year round and are already hulled! Plus, the last time I bought fresh chestnuts, I spent about $20 and half of them were moldy - I got my money back, but what a hassle in the middle of a recipe - which then had to be changed because I didn't have enough chestnuts! I highly recommend this!

New Cookbook - C&Z - of course!

New twist on an ingredient - I've been adding butternut squash to many things, encouraged by my son. So we had a tomato sauce on pasta with butternut squash in it. We had turkey soup with butternut squash in it.

New chance to an old dish - Made a meatloaf with a combo of meats - veal, pork & beef. Then added some allspice which made it taste like a pate!

Newest technique -At the end of my stollen baking flurry (42 loaves in 6 days) I had extra cherries and apricots left over - so the last batch got the usual amount of dried cherries and chopped apricots in the dough. Then after I patted the dough out flat, before I formed the loaves, I put a row of apricot halves and cherries down the middle before I folded it into shape. Oh - wow! A very positive addition! And beautiful when you cut a slice! I will do that with all of them next year!

New Pairing - club soda and bitters. A very refreshing drink!

Gastronomic meal - I've gotta say Momofuku Noodle House on the lower east side of Manhattan. OMG! I can't believe I didn't put Babbo down as my best gastronomic meal! I thinkthe whole experience of Babbo was just brilliant, but for much more than the food...we were celebrating our son's graduation from NYU - so the dinner was shaded by enormous joy and pride plus the expectation of a wonderful meal plus the unbelievable atmsophere of energy in that place and last - but not least by a long shot - was the absolutely exquisite meal. Not a single false note and all REAL food! That said, Momofuku was JUST about the food and it was superlative! Every ingredient was a treasure and the combinations were simple and complex at once.

Latest brush with a star - got to meet Clotilde in Berkeley! BUT -wait there's more! I got to see Jay Zee and Jon Bon Jovi on the same evening in the Spotted Pig in New York! Even flashed that diamond sign at Jay Zee!

Best escapist experience - The family beach cottage in East Haven Connecticut. There is NOTHING to do except swim and read.

Favorite chocolate - I got these wonderful little dark chocolates with caramel fillings and French fleur de sel on top in my stocking! Oh my goodness! There were 9 of them and 9 days later they were gone! Crying or Very sad I did not share!

Favorite pastry - a beautiful cranberry and nut roll from a fabulous baker with a new kitchen who lives in LA and has purple toenails! You know who I mean!

Favorite addition to the Parisian Landscape - Maybe me in February! Keep your fingers crossed!

By the way David - Happy Birthday! And let us know about the chicken when you ge to it! Sounds like you're being feted well!

Last edited by Donna on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rachel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday, David! Very Happy

Most of my list is in the comments section for the latest entry, but I forgot a few categories, so here's my addenda:

Favourite chocolate: wickedly alcoholic truffles from Burnt Sugar (a stall in Borough Market)

Favourite new pairing: toasted sesame seeds + dried lavender buds + fresh borage flowers (mixed with fleur de sel and offered for sprinkling with the assiette vegetarienne in a tiny resto in Paris - it really lifted a dish of lentils and roasted veg to a different plane)

Favourite escapist experience: listening to a fado performance in a converted chapel in Coimbra, with a glass of port in front of me and rain pouring down outside

Debbie, as a huge French film buff (with hopeless crushes on more than a few actors Embarassed ) I have to confess I'm dying of curiosity about your brush with the stars...
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooshk! --all of you have such exciting eating adventures. I get much of my inspiration from youse guys, so I skipped the C&Z questionnaire, it would be too familiar to some of you!

But Donna, if you'd be willing to take the other quiz--

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2476

maybe we'd understand why it took you 9 days to eat 9 chocolates... Wink

I do have some sweet new tiles in my kitchen, and no more scratchugly hatethisplace horrendous fakebutcherblock Formica. My counters and much of my walls now look like vanilla tastes-- creamy and delightful and perfect. A sense of well-being pervades the space!
David

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the birthday wishes---being 107 is no where near as bad as I thought it would be!

Griffin's chicken rub made for a fabulous dinner last night! The aromas of it cooking was worth the price of admission alone! Sweet and spicy, tender and juict---absolutely delightful. The down side is I ate half the chicken! Which means I only have enough for one more meal. Sad
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The down side is I ate half the chicken! Which means I only have enough for one more meal

Laughing Clearly you were a cat in a past life!! Tho' I suspect your dogs weren't too impressed they didn't get the other half! Hey, it's your birthday, you're allowed to do such things... er, even if it does mean you have to cook something else when the other half is finished!!

We usually have chicken with stir-fried carrot and courgette sticks. Oh, and basmati rice, which is probably not good for you because it tastes fabulous. Especially with a little butter... which is definitely not good for you!!

David really! You 107! I mean I know you're my older brother but not that much older!! Surely you meant 17 and that '0' was just a typo. You spring chicken you! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: