Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

A Question of Manners ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amongst our friends some have a remove shoes rule, some don't. We remove our shoes if there is a pile by the door, if not we ask shoes on or off? I'm not offended if they ask us to remove our shoes.
Deni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We in the Hawaiian Islands always remove ones shoes before entering our home or when visiting friends & family. It is because of the high iron oxide content in the soil here in Kona and also found on Kaua`i. When I travel to the mainland I find myself wanting to remove my shoes but I manage to fight the urge...

Deni

Lost no more but still in paradise...
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Deni,
My recollections of being a kid on Oahu don't include shoes at all Very Happy , what nice memories--banyan trees and mangoes fallen all over our bike trails.

It's very nice to see you again, we all gained from your knowledge! My sourdough starter is still going strong.
Deni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit when I go out to a party it is sometimes a bit staggering to find ones slippers in the almost always larger than life pile situated at the front door. When I was much younger it was very tempting to trade up for a better pair when leaving the party. Nice to hear from you Gingerpale and I am glad you are enjoying the sourdough starter. Ahhh the simple pleasures of life. Good friends, good drink and good bread.

Deni

cigalechanta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: san shoes Reply with quote

I guess I'm one of a different mind. An old friend put in white capets and askd everyone to remove shoes when visiting. I never have nor will. I hate my feet, will not expose them nor will I visit an uptight home. IF- I say IF, it is their culture, I certainly would.
Deni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cigalechanta... Ugly feet or not "In Rome do as the Romans do". Perhaps you could keep your socks, if worn, on. Just because you are asked to remove your footwear, this does not imply an uptight home, just practical.

Deni

cigalechanta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll repeat: If it's your cuture, yes, otherwise no.
remove your clothes when you come to my house Smile
Deni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.....

Deni

bluedog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin, just saw the resurgance of this thread so had to answer - black and about 3 1/2". it was cocktails! can just imagine said swagger Smile
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluedog,

Mmm, black patent courts... mmmm! I have a thing about red shoes. Maybe because the colour stands out so strongly, but I love them. My favourite in my collection are dark red silk satin pleated around the front of the foot and with four inch heels. In soft light the satin glows...!

Cigalechanta,

I don't mind removing my clothes when I come to yours... but you should probably warn people of a nervous disposition and put blindfolds over the eyes of small animals and children... or I'm going to have to pay for their trauma counselling for years.

Incidentally, I am going to be doing life-modelling for art students yet again this year (they are a hard-bitten tough lot) so they will be trying not to a) laugh, b) throw up, c) run screaming from the studio or d) all of those!! Shocked

I did it last term and actually it was fun watching them draw me. They even made me look better than I do in real life! In that studio, removing my shoes will be the least of my worries. Mostly I worry that a certain little soldier stands er, at ease and not to attention!!! Embarassed
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin I've always wondered--if the room is comfortable for the model, is it not way too warm for the art students??
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's usually just warm enough for the model, not too hot but not cold either. So the students aren't too hot, but the model isn't shivering (which makes them more difficult to draw!)

You'll have to check at your local university art department and do a bit of modelling - won't you?!! Then you'll see how great you look when you see the pictures afterwards. Of course, it helps if you are wicked and shameless like moi.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say to that, Griffin, is LOL!!

http://www.venenodecobra2003.blogger.com.br/fig%20botero%20eve.jpg

"Clothes therefore, must be truly a badge of greatness; the insignia of the superiority of man over all other animals, for surely there could be no other reason for wearing the hideous things."
--TARZAN (From Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs)
Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingerpale,

That's a mighty small apple for such a - traditionally built Eve! I am the other way, skinny and hairy... ok, possibly too much information! Shocked

I like to think that if they do line drawings of stick figures they can claim that their drawings are lifelike!
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo, Griffin! I've always thought what brave souls my models are. My school uses lighting that provides too much heat, I think. And we have a few zealous models who work up a sweat with demanding poses. Some of my fellow students prefer simple poses, but I like the tricky ones myself.

Love how "a question of manners" turns into a question of nakedness! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: