Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Solo in Paris May 1-8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
creampuff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Solo in Paris May 1-8 Reply with quote

I will be in Paris May 1 thru May 8
My travel companion had to cancel so I'll be by myself.
Anybody in Paris during that time who would like to get together for a meal, sightseeing or other activity, let me know. Maybe we can meet up.
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Solo in Paris May 1-8 Reply with quote

Creampuff,

I live out here so I will definitely be around. Don't worry about being solo out here, though; one of my favorite things to do is wander around by myself, talking to the butcher or fishmonger or vegetable man about my future dinner. Enjoy yourself and don't be scared to eat out by yourself. Just bring a book and have fun!
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning!

Ditto what Lady Amalthea said. Paris is one of those places where you can wander alone to your hearts content, and sometimes you don't want another person along to spoil the magic by speaking. Having said that, there are times when you just have to share a conversation or burst.

There are some good walking tours by a company called Paris Walks (www.paris-walks.com) which you could do if you wanted a bit of company on any particular day, and still remain anonymous. Otherwise you could pop into an internet cafe and put out a sos for one of the Parisian contributors to meet up.

Where are you staying? Do you have things that you "must" see, or just a lot of "want" to see if possible?

We live in the 18th arrondissement, and I know of C&Z participants who live in other areas of Paris. There will always be someone around if you need them. If you want the backup of a phone number to contact someone while here, let me know.

Have a great time and enjoy your trip!
creampuff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: My Paris Plans Reply with quote

I would love to meet up with some C&Z'ers while in Paris. Thanks for the tips on the Paris Walks, they were already on my list. I also have a day of cooking classes in English lined up. I travel by myself a lot, but it is still nice to have a plan to meet up with someone friendly and that you have a connection with somehow. I would be glad to bring American goodies to any ex-pats that are longing for Betty Crocker or the like. I live in the San Francisco Bay area so have access to some prime local goodies as well.

Since you asked, here's some info about me and my plans. As usual, I have a lot more in mind then there are hours in the day. I honestly know I won't be able to do it all. It's just a wish list. (I am a bit concerned about what is open and closed on May 1 and May 8) Please let me know if you have any suggestions or recommendations or if you'd like to join me. I certainly would like to have lunch with the Paris C&Zer's at least!!!

I am staying in the 16th on Rue d. Longchamp near the Trocadero metro.
I have a full day planned Wednesday at cooking school. I was also thinking of signing up for a wine tasting and wouldn't mind (make that I'd love) to find a cheese tasting.
I plan on going to see Monet's house
I also plan to do a lot of touring of the food markets, stores, etc.
I'd like to do a few fancy meals (probably lunch if I'm by myself) and then feast on the rest that Paris has to offer
I'm mad for art and history museums, so I'll do a bunch of that. I can't decide if the museum pass is worth it and if so how many days I should buy.
I love window shopping, probably more offbeat than designer. I do need to bring home a few things for my husband, sons (14 and 17) and nieces (4 and 8). I love shopping in foreign department stores. I may sign up to see the free Lafayette fashion show on Friday. I have yet to experience the flea market.
I like jazz, French accordian music, chansons and the like. I am a bit concerned about trying to go out at night by myself.
I wonder about giving in and trying to see one of the "spetactulars". If so, which one (Moulin Rouge, Lido, etc., or is there some not as well known Vegas type show that's better?)
I think I'd like to try to get to a guignuette.
I wonder about taking a river or canal tour
I like trying to figure out what non tourists enjoy about a city and sampling that
I like to know where I am going until I find something I never knew about and then wander there
I haven't been to Paris in 20 years so I plan on revisiting a few favorites (Rue Cler) and discovering neighborhoods I didn't explore last time (the Marias comes to mind)
I plan on getting a Carte Orange and taking public transit everywhere I can
I think about trying to get to a local synagogue on Friday night for services. I always think about this when I travel but I haven't done it yet.
I want to try to talk to the locals. (Tough since I don't speak any French and what French words I do try come out in a mangled accent that is part New Yorkese and part high school Castillian Spanish.)

And most of all, I want to sit and enjoy Paris. I want to sit in cafes and people watch and catch the light changing as morning turns into afternoon and afternoon into night. Sit in museums and stare at art until I feel like I can see what the artist saw. Sit in parks and enjoy the views and watch children play. Sit in buses and admire the neighborhood life as it goes by and imagine would it would be like to live on this block or that. Sit in restaurants of all types and prices and admire the fine food and beautiful surroundings before I dive in and taste and ohh and ahh.

Let me know if you want to join the fun.
creampuff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! My friend was able (virtually at the last minute) to resolve her intricate and overwhelming paperwork issues and was able to get a visa to join me. I was very encouraged by the response I got from my posting in the forum and through private messages and actually got to meet a C&Z'er from my area who I expect to be able to share many future foodie experiences with.

Thank you all for your information and support.

I leave on Saturday, so if you have any last minute "must see, must do and must eat" info for me, please post it soon!

Again, thanks all.
David

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have yourself a great trip creampuff, sounds like you have quite the agenda already! Give us a precis when you get back. Okay?
creampuff

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back and I had an amazing visit. I just posted some of what I learned about "budget paris" on the forum entitled "three days and three nights" watch for more postings there and elsewhere for updates on my trip.

I was very fortunate and my travel companion was able to make it at the last minute, so I wasn't truly solo in Paris. I do have lots of recommendations based on my visit for those of you who might be going solo, so let me know if you have any particular questions.

Creampuff
simona

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello ,
Seems you had a wonderful time in Paris.
I can't find your forum "three days and three nights". I'll be in Paris in the end of June for ... three days, and though Paris is my second home, I'm sure I could use your updated tips . Thanks
Simona
creampuff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the topic entitled something like looking to spend 3 nights and 3 days in September in the Paris and France forum. It's there, I just checked.

I haven't put in my food and restaurant recommendations, yet.

The main one is to try L'Ardoise. It is an amazing resto serving a 30 euro menu of three truly gourmet courses. It is on the street behind rue rivoli near the Louvre. I'll look up the contact info and post it later.
It's open Sunday nights, too.
simona

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

Simona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: