Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

food laughter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: food laughter Reply with quote

In a cafeteria, "Shoes are required to eat in the cafeteria. Socks can eat any place they want." (must thank Joke of the Day)

as they say in real estate land "position position position"...the importance of positioning "shoes are required"!

I'm ready for hours of laughter ~ 'tis good for the soul methinks..

and I promise this will not be a regular Wink ...a one-off for food fun..
cynthiaLW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Laughter is healing! Reply with quote

I've been laughing a lot in the evenings lately as I read a food-book by Jeffrey Steingarten. The title is IT MUST'VE BEEN SOMETHING I ATE. In poking fun at America's cheese laws, it has a chapter called Fear of Formaggio. I don't have pets anymore due to allergies, but his chapter The Man Who Cooked For His Dog brought howls of laughter to my bedroom late last night. The book's copyright is 2002, and I found it in my local library.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: the forms of laughter Reply with quote

Cynthia ~~~ what tops howling with laughter! That gorgeous feeling of ....oh oh I simply CAN'T stop this!

cartoonbank.com is a hoot...each week I check out the cartoons of the recent edition of the New Yorker...there's a fabulous one with the princess, of The Princess and the Pea fame, complaining to her parents about the thread count of the sheets, and the fact that the pea is from a generic can of peas.....the mind that thought of that....I hug it..

more and more and much much more laughter to coat this world..
David

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a lot---well I am a bookseller after all----and I've found that comedy is probably the most difficult thing to write. Enter Joe Keenan. There are only two books I have ever read where I was forced into gales of explosive laughter and of the two Joe Keenan's "Blue Heaven" is the hands down winner!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: 'n the second book? Reply with quote

ok mr david david ....'n the other book? How dare you leave us wondering like this!

Years back I used to know "The Odd Couple" off by heart ~ in a nanosecond I can picture this scene...Can see every character...merci Mr Simon for the language that has given me soooooooooo much joy..

"It's either very new cheese or very old meat."...talk about food laughter Laughing

Oscar Madison: I'm in for a quarter.
Murray: Aren't you going to look at your cards first?
Oscar Madison: What for? I'm gonna bluff anyway. Who gets a Pepsi?
Murray: I get a Pepsi.
Oscar Madison: My friend Murray the policeman gets a warm Pepsi.
Roy: You still didn't fix the refrigerator. It's been two weeks now - no wonder it stinks in here.
Oscar Madison: Temper, temper. If I wanted nagging, I'd go back with my wife. I'm out. Who wants food?
Murray: What do you got?
Oscar Madison: I got, uh, brown sandwiches and, uh, green sandwiches. Which one do you want?
Murray: What's the green?
Oscar Madison: It's either very new cheese or very old meat.
Murray: I'll take the brown.
[Oscar hands Murray a sandwich which Murray starts wolfing down]
Roy: Are you crazy? You're not going to eat that, are you?
Murray: I'm hungry!
Roy: His refrigerator has been out of order for two weeks now. I saw milk standing in there that wasn't even in the bottle!
Oscar Madison: What are you, some kind of health nut? Eat, Murray, eat!

[about how tense Felix is]
Oscar Madison: Look at this. You're the only man in the world with clenched hair.

yes I could go on and on...adore it!

Clotilde's recipe today includes smoked herring. ANY food smoked I adore!

There's a sign "the smoking of any substance is forbidden"....at railway stations ....I've been tempted to add "except trout"....tempted mind you!
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Odd Couple moments. I'm going to have to see that film again. I remember nothing of detail.
JustMe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget Monty Python's SPAM skit:

Waitress: (brightly) "Well, there's spam, egg, sausage, and spam, that's not got much spam in it."
Mrs Bun: (exasperated) "I don't want any spam!"
Mr Bun attempts to mollify his wife:

Mr Bun: "Don't make a fuss, dear. I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, spam, spam, and spam."
Waitress: "Baked beans are off."
Mr Bun: (to Waitress) "Well, can I have spam instead?"
JustMe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR Monty Python's cheese skit:

http://home1.gte.net/~vze3fs8i/me/cheeseshop.html
David

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Monty Python,----and now In Search of the Holy Grail has become the smash hit Broadway musical --------------Spamalot!

the other book is a new one-How I Paid For College--A novel of Sex, Theft, Friendship and Musical Theatre by Marc Acito!

Smoked trout--------------yummy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: