Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Gateau de Mamy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Gateau de Mamy Reply with quote

This is my latest favourite recipe from THE BOOK. Quick, easy and delicious. Just a word of warning, though ..... it's so tasty that you need to at least double the recipe if you're feeding more than a couple of people. 8 of us shared the cake I cooked for dessert last night, and we all wanted more!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This recipe is also in one of Clotilde's very first posts, October of 2003! It is a little different, done with pears.
msue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, Judy, I didn't see this thread and started another one on this very cake - even the non-cake person in this household said, repeatedly, that it was delicious.

I am trying to make myself wait for a second slice until after dinner tonight, but I'm not sure that virtue will win over gluttony.

Last edited by msue on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
snowy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Gateau de Mamy Reply with quote

Hi, am new to the forum.

My UK edition of the book arrived yesterday and this morning I made the 'Gateau de Mamy', but it was a disaster! Fell flat in the middle! I'm usually fine at making cakes so don't know what I did wrong. Sad Any ideas?

snowy
msue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowy, I'm sorry that you had difficulty with this delicious cake. You said that you are an experienced cake baker, so I'm not sure my suggestions will answer your question.

Assuming your baking powder is fresh, I would suspect that either temperature (too hot or too cool) or overmixing could have contributed to the fallen cake.

If I had this difficulty I'd check the following (not necessarily in order of importance):

1. Was the oven completely preheated?

2. Was the oven temperature accurate (check with an oven thermometer)?

3, Was the batter overmixed? Using a light hand in mixing may prevent later problems.

When I made this, I opted for the variation in which you reduce the melted butter by 2 tbs, and grind the sugar with 1/4 cup whole blanched almonds. I don't know how this change would affect the risk of falling, if at all.

I hope you try the cake again. It is really good! Good luck.
snowy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you msue for your reply.

I will certainly check the things you've suggested. We ate it as a pudding with the apple on the top!

I will try again using your suggestion of adding the ground almonds instead of some of the butter.

snowy
E.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't posted in the forums in ages, even though I have continued to read the main site. However! I feel compelled to post now that I have cooked from Clotilde's book. A friend who knows me very well bought me the book for my birthday. I made and loved the ratatouille, especially the silky eggplant, but the recipe that I would marry would be le Gateau de Mamy. I made it twice this week, and I spent the time between the first cake and the second thinking about it.

I made the first for a friend who was having a moving-away party. We were supposed to help her drink all her alcohol, so that she did not have to take it with her. Strangely, not much alcohol was drunk, but the cake was gone very, very quickly -- even though we had already stuffed ourselves with pizzas. The second I made today for a friend who is coming over tonight for dinner. Both times, I, um, accidentally ate parts of the cake before other people could see it, so I was forced to cut the cake into squares so that no one would see how much I liked my own baking. Baking crimes of passion!

I wouldn't describe myself as someone who loves to bake, but these recipes are irresistible and very accessible. The next recipes I would like to try are the honey spice loaf, the chocolate and zucchini cake, and the recipe that speaks to my soul -- the tarte chocolat caramel.

Anyhow, I wanted to chime in and heartily recommend this cake. Thank you, Clotilde! The book is lovely.
swan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this is one of my absolute favourites - I bake it quite often and it always comes out nice. I always make the variation with the almond meal (sometimes I use even more almond - like if there's more in the packet you buy, 50 or 70 grams in stead of 30, it always works! I don't reduce the butter any further though) and against the fruit-sticking? I use my little trick of pouring 1/4 of the batter in the pan, then add the fruit, and then the rest of the batter.
Still looks very pretty served with the fruit-side on top.And I usually use pears. Somehow their delicate flavour works better for me than apples - for which I like to use a more dense and cakey-recipe.
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was telling my grandmother the other day about the fact that her recipe was doing quite a bit of traveling, and she was so pleased! We were also going through old recipe files of hers, and we found a tattered piece of paper on which my late grandfather had noted the recipe, as shared by their old friend Ella, who was from Romania. I wonder if it is a typical recipe there, or just a cake that Ella's family liked to make.

In passing, the interesting thing about this original version is that it was given in tasses (cups). But I learned how to make it from my mother, and she had converted the measurements to grams.

Clotilde.
E.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to stop making this cake! I made it again for a dinner last night. And, because I was procrastinating from other things I was supposed to be doing, I also ended up making the lemon butter cookies and the hazelnut marbles (which were actually walnut marbles). I swear I'm going to branch off into the savory recipes soon.

On another note, I've been responsible for two other people buying the book -- and now they both read the website. One even went to the London Books for Cooks event because I recommended it to her. Your book is irresistible, Clotilde!
NancyG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All! I always enjoy reading what you write and this is just my second reply, I had to chime in...got Clotilde's cookbook last week and right away baked the Gateau de Mamy. It was sooo delicious, buttery and bits of crispy edge. I used pears also and added a touch of allspice to the batter. I will be making it often, I think it was one of the easiest and yummiest desserts I've ever made. Tomorrow I'm going to make the lamb and prune meatballs for dinner.
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my UK version now thanks to my friend The Old Foodie in Brisbane. I haven't decided what to cook first as I have such a lot of mail to read, bills to pay, clothes to wash, weight to lose.....
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this cake again last night and once again we all wanted more. I really think that from now on, I'll have to always make 2 cakes at once.

I made a minor error when making the batter - forgot the melted butter which I found sitting in the microwave after the cake had been cooking for 30 minutes. It turned out fine, more like a sponge cake than a butter cake, but the apples actually held better in the cake than with the usual batter.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, the things I find hours later in the microwave, cold and forgotten!
Usually a little something that was to accompany lunch..
David

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having decided that maybe there is more to an apple than Tarte Tatin I finally made this creature yesterday. It is so simple, and so delicious it is going to add several more inches to my waistline! I have however, already forgiven Clotilde and her family for giving this recipe out. It's the wonderful "butteriness" of the cake that makes it so special to me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: