Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Financiers au Miel
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Financiers au Miel Reply with quote

My very first from the Book!! And... and... they are utterly gorgeous! Yeah, I know it took me long enough but I was trying to work out what to do and then I got a fit of nerves... but today I just got on with it, bought the unsalted butter (among the salted and slightly salted...!!) and blanched almonds and honey... Then I got home and got to woik (as they say in the movies).

Really easy and I am going to have to have another one in a bit!! They rose up like those haystacks in Monet's paintings... not so much financier's boxes or gold ingots, more Fermiers than Financiers! But they are wonderful. There's only two problems. My dad likes 'em and I just know I'm going to have to make a whole lot more very soon!
Rachel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin, my former (!) PhD supervisor, who is a big Monet expert, refers to his haystacks as muffins - so why not mini-financiers!

Speaking of these financiers (which I've not tried yet), I'd be very pleased if someone could give me advice about honey. My cousins just gave me a lovely big jar of set blossom honey when I visited them over the weekend, and I'd like to use it in the financiers and, when the weather cools off, the pain d'epice. I'm just wondering whether those two recipes were created/tested using clear (runny) honey, and if so, if I use set honey, do I need to up the liquid content slightly to make up for it?
georgia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel, I'm curious...is "set" honey just honey that's crystallized or solidified? Or is it a specific variety with which I'm not familiar?

If it's just solidified, formerly liquid, honey, I'd warm it gently (over a water bath or in a container set in warm water) to re-liquify it and proceed with it as the liquid ingredient called for in the recipe.
msue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel, I am also curious about what 'set honey' is...my first thought is that it might be honey comb, which wouldn't work at all. In that case you would be better off getting some regular (liquid) honey rather than trying to warm the honey comb.

Georgia's suggestion is perfect if the honey is merely crystalized. Very Happy
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel - The financiers were tested using "syrupy" honey rather than set, but the recipe would absolutely work with a set honey, if by "set honey" you mean one that's paste-like in consistency.

(I believe the difference between the two is the structure of the sugar molecules, not the water content, but I majored in IT not chemistry, so don't take my word for that.)

You don't even need to change anything in the recipes, since both (the almond haystacks -- love the rechristening -- and the pain d'├ępice) instruct you to melt the honey with the other ingredients.

Happy baking!
Clotilde.
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honey tends to harden when it gets colder and to set. To get it runny again you warm it up. As Clotilde says, you melt it in the beurre noisette so even set honey will do.

I used an 'organic' honey, but Rachel, if you have a good blossom honey, I'm sure it would be fabulous. I would think it would make measuring the honey easier the more set it was. I instantly thought of Monet when I took them from the oven. So long as your PhD super doesn't call muffins haystacks! Or gets the two mixed up... that would be one hell of a mistake!!!

Now I want to try the pain d'epice too... and then, my Holy Grail... the C&Z cake itself...!

I hope your second book's coming along ok Clotilde. And then the novel perhaps?! I still remember the little set pieces you wrote about breakfasts, which I copied and pasted to read again. They were wonderful and made me think what a remarkable writer you are. Maybe even a collection of short stories?
Rachel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - divided once again by a common language! Set honey (UK) = honey with a thick, paste-like consistency (you can spread it like butter). I'm glad to hear I can use it without having to adjust the recipes at all.

Griffin - I've never ever heard him refer to a haystack as a muffin... but the association has become so strong in my mind that every time I see a muffin I think of Monet!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried these soon after opening the book !

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2131&highlight=domino

I know SEVERAL batches will be made this fall and winter to cover all occasions. These and the no-knead bread will keep my neighbors happy, I'm sure!
Rachel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, last night I finally got round to making them - as madeleines! My boyfriend gave me silicone madeleine moulds for my birthday, and after having made a batch of standard madeleines this was next on the list to try. They take a little longer to bake than the recipe said (about 18 minutes) but I'm not sure whether to attribute that to the size of the madeleines or to my horrible oven, but they came out looking gorgeous. One of them broke in half when I was turning it out of the mould so naturally, I had to put it out of its misery... and let's just say it took great restraint not to do the same to the others!
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel,

Your restraint is admirable... I have four left out of twelve! So I am planning to make some more this weekend. I tried to shortcut and use ground almonds... nope! They took a little longer and were not quite as good as the first time... tho' they are good!

I bought a second baking tray for 'muffins' so this time I intend to do two lots.... tho' my restraint is practically non-existent where sweet things are concerned! Rolling Eyes

Madeleines... financiers... fermiers... as the cat said, call it what you like but give me dinner!

What gets me is that they are so easy and so quick... I mean... even I can do them without panicking!!
woodstocker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm a bit early, but I've started mixing up Christmas cookies for the freezer. I was wondering if it's possible to freeze financiers after they've been baked and cooled? I plan to pack them into gift boxes as presents with a bunch of other varieties of baked deliciousness. Wink

Any ideas on storage? I'm thinking a zip-top bag should do the trick.
Griffin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodstocker,

So long as you don't smell them, or 'just taste one' you should be able to pack them as gifts... otherwise they mysteriously disappear!!

As the don't take too long to make I would make them nearer the time and then send them. I don't know if they can be frozen tho'.
woodstocker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin wrote:
So long as you don't smell them, or 'just taste one' you should be able to pack them as gifts... otherwise they mysteriously disappear!!

Ah well, a few were sacrificed to quality control, but most made it into the freezer in one piece- eh 18 pieces as it was. I used a Scottish heather honey, which while very strong tasting straight from the jar, did mellow a bit when blended into the financiers. I think I'm going to experiment with different combinations in the future, as there are some honey-haters in my family. The raspberries we picked early this fall are beckoning from the freezer- lovely golden and red- the bag is so pretty! Blueberries would work well too I think. So many decisions. Considering I'm up to 12 different recipes for these gift tins, I should probably slow down. Shocked

And while reading through the recipe I discovered the answer to my own question- Clotilde says you can freeze them for a month or store on the counter for a couple of days.
Griffin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
store on the counter for a couple of days.

Not on our counter you couldn't! They'd go quicker than a mouse with a cat behind it! Cake doesn't last long here and these are just perfect to hold in your hand... briefly!

Tho' if they were frozen, that would slow me down some!

I also know people who actually don't like honey. I find this almost impossible to believe, like those who don't like chocolate. My head tells me it's likely and a good thing (more for me then!) but somehow it just seems emotionally unnatural!

But raspberries... I love raspberries... the scent, the taste, the... drat, I'm hungry again!
woodstocker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for those out there who drink nothing but coffee with cream and/or sugar (most of my family), honey just doesn't enter the picture very often. I drink tea only and use less refined sugars, so as an ingredient I'm open to honey. Americans also lean very heavily on white sugar which is less sweet than honey and has no residual flavor component. So while someone claiming to not like sweets/dessert would be disowned from the family (after we ate their share of course!), most of the family would rather taste the other ingredients with the sweetner as a backup than the sweetner with other flavors. Does that make sense?

And as for the elusive financiers au meil, I have cranberry/orange biscotti, black forest crinkles, choc. chip and snickerdoodles in the freezer keeping them company. I think a few of any of the above may actually make it to Christmas! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: