Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Cake Tomate Pistache et Chorizo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lauritasol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Cake Tomate Pistache et Chorizo Reply with quote

Does anyone have recommendations on what to sub for the chorizo? I'm a vegetarian and have successfully subbed ingredients in other recipes of CD, but cannot figure out this one.

I was thinking of subbing the yogurt with ricotta and then using spinach instead of chorizo, or keeping the yogurt and using goat cheese instead of the chorizo, but not sure how it will hold up in the cake. Any ideas?
Donna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try one of those braised tofus - a rather spicy one. Or if you are adept at using tofu, you might want to spice up your own! Spinach is going to make it WAY too watery.

The other option would be to play with veggies and add some spice to replace what you lose from the chorizo - potato springs to mind, also maybe corn or cannellini beans or winter squash... You could even try some veggie combos.

I think the main thing would be to mimic the texture of the chorizo as well as the spicy flavor.
lauritasol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right... after I posted that I was trying to think about what I could insert that would give off the salty and spiciness that the chorizo would give.

I don't like tofu, so I never use it in my cooking. I wonder if I could try some cannellini beans and drained rotel tomatoes? Not sure how else I could spice up the beans and give them that smoky flavor unless I use chipotles or cook them in chipotles.
Donna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chipotle sounds like the perfect idea!
lauritasol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Donna for being a sounding board and great help! Most things I alter and the results are fabulous. This one seemed to be a tough one! I'll post back after I make it and let you know how it turns out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> The Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: