Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Silly little technique

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Silly little technique Reply with quote

This is so dopey it's probably idiotic of me to even bring it up, but I wonder if anyone else does this. When I want just the essence of raw onion (hate biting into it except on a hot dog) I take a paring knife and drag it across the cut surface of an onion so that I get some juices and a tiny bit of liquid/pulp.

Perfect to just perfume a bit of tartar sauce (which is what I did this afternoon when I finished up some fish for lunch), some compound butter or even tuna salad.
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Rainey, if that's dopey - long may you be dopey! I have never even thought of it but it's going to sit in my head ready for use when I want it now!
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant idea! I cannot stomach raw onion, so will be using this method in future when I want that hint of flavour without the upset stomach afterwards.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not done that, but it's like rubbing down a bowl with garlic. Good thinking Rainey!

"It's hot ham water."
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd get lots of mileage from an onion that way. Is it the flavor, or the texture, that puts people off raw onions? Those "Vidalia"-type onions are supposed to be very sweet--people seen chomping into them like apples.

Erin! I see now you have a blog "The Endive Chronicles"
AND you are moving to Seattle. (Is there a connection between these two?) You must be on the ceiling!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GP, Yes, I have started my blog a few months ago and am having a lot of fun with it. We found out on Monday that we are heading home and you are right I am on the ceiling. As a matter of fact, I had so many phone calls and did so much cheering that by the evening I had almost totally lost my voice. My parents still don't know we are moving back, they are in Mexico.

"It's hot ham water."
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. Very Happy .. how very very nice that you got your wish!
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaaay Erin! Welcome home!

Rainey, I too hate that onion biting thing- thought I was the only soul on the planet who could only cook with them and who has spent a lifetime picking raw onions out of food. I got around it by using my ginger grater, then the occasional toss about with the Microplane to get juice instead of chunks.

On Passover time, my Dad would take a cut onion half, rub down the matzo and then butter and salt it generously at breakfast. In every fridge in my immediate family there will inevitably be a zip bag with a beat-to-death brown onion half, gummed up with matzo fallout.

Can't WAIT for Passover again!
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never would've figured raw onions could be so disagreeable. I sprinkle them on lots of dishes myself.

Otherwise, I love this idea Rainey. I could especially see using it in a velvety savory custard.
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! I don't like them at all and my husband is, like you, putting great chunks of them in all manner of things. I have to chop up a pinch bowl of them for him so he can add them after I've had my blander but oh-so-preferable portion. Wink

When I want a more assertive onion flavor it's green onions I prefer raw or else, as for salad dressing, I have to mince them into barely discernible bits and let the acid in the vinegar do the work of mellowing them.
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great way to get the onion flavor. I don't use raw onions because I could smell it on someone who had it for several hours, it seems! There is already a standing order to saute the onions before adding it to anything at chez moi but if he cheats, I always know...........
ericajones80

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also cannot take the consistency of raw onions....this is a great idea rainey....nothing wrong with simplicity!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: