Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

french for smoked mackerel.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's like anything else:

News story: Take aspirin.
News story: DON'T take aspirin.
News story: Take Vit E.
News story: Vit E proven ineffective.
...and so on.

What my doctor advises is take the statins, do crossword puzzles, study a foreign language, do NOT multi-task. She says it may not prove to be useful to avoid aluminum in cans and cooking pots but it's an easy thing to avoid just in case.

How old are you? Do you see any indicators? Did you know that one of the early signs seems to be dragging your feet? I don't know if it will make any difference, but in the same way studying a foreign language may forestall the onset by working out a critical area of brain function, I also take care to lift my feet as I walk.

If you want to commisserate or share info (though I'm tapped out at the moment), I'd be happy to do that but PMs might spare everyone else.
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sour cream substitutes--try non-fat or low fat yogurt, strained. The straining makes it a thicker substance, more like sour cream. This works really well in soups like borscht or on smoked fish, latkes, etc. Also, food subs has some good alternatives using cottage cheese and such. http://www.foodsubs.com/Cultmilk.html

As for smoked mackerel, I saw it for the first time out here in Paris at a fancy epicerie. It was just called maquereau fume. I've also seen things like smoked cod liver at my local supermarket.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: