Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Mexican Vanilla... maybe?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pix you linked to is Nielsen-Massey's vanilla extract. They are among the top suppliers in the world.

I like using their vanilla bean paste, which is the extract with vanill bean seeds added back in. Makes the mixture more syrupy.

You use them one-to-one, but I feel the paste has a richer, more rounded taste.
Alina

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,

i saw on Amazon, there is Bean Paste and Extract, which one would you personally suggest?

thanks
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only recently discovered the paste myself. And, as indicated above, I really think it has a deeper, more well rounded flavor. So that's what I've been using.

They can be substituted for each other in any recipe, I understand. The paste is thicker and syrupy, sort of like thin honey, whereas the extract is thinner and watery.

However, I'd guess that most people are more familiar with the extract. And almost all recipes specify it.

I think if I were new to using vanilla I'd start with the extract. Then maybe try a small jar of the paste, to see if it made any difference in the things I cooked.
Alina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KYHeirloomer. I have contacted Nielsen Massey distributor in France. Yes, they do supply to industrial companies but they don't sell to individual like me. Fortunately, the sales director is nice, she suggested that i call one boutique that sells only haute gamme epices, including Madagascar Bourbon. I will be contacting them soon.

thanks.
chucha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you've mentioned, coumarin is something you want to avoid as is "vanilla extract" containing vainillin produced with lignin (from wood) or guayacol (petrochemical). Unfortunately some unethical people have tainted Mexican Vanilla's reputation by using these substances and labeling them "extract."

Now the good news, Mexico does have some truly excellent and trustworthy vanilla extract. Pretty much the only vanilla you will find in my kitchen is the 2X extract from Gaya. I think it's fabulous. I've visited their plantations, and have absolute confidence in their production. (www.gayavaimex.com)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: