Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Tilapia with Citrus Cream Sauce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NotQuiteJuneCleaver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Tilapia with Citrus Cream Sauce Reply with quote

zest of each ~ 1 grapefruit, 1 lemon, 1 lime and 1 tangerine (mixed together)
juice of each ~ 1 grapefruit, 1 lemon, 1 lime and 1 tangerine (mixed together)
4 TBSP unsalted butter
2 TBSP olive oil
3 shallots diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp each of Thyme and Taragon
1 pint heavy cream
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp corn starch

10 tilapia filets (fresh or thawed)
salt and pepper
flour
Oil and butter for frying fish (I just cover the bottom of the pan with oil and then add a few TBSP butter)

Angel Hair or Thin Spaghetti

1 dozen fresh Brussel sprouts, trimmed and shredded.
2 TBSP butter and 3 TBSP olive oil

Melt the butter with the olive oil over low/med heat. Add shallots and garlic and saute until tender. Gently add a cup or so of chicken broth and cook just a moment, add herbs and cook a minute or so more. Remove from heat and let cool a bit. Pour this mixture into a blender and pulse. Turn blender to low speed and slowly add heavy cream. Return to skillet and cook stirring constantly until mixture is well heated. Remove from heat. Set aside.

Put your water on to boil for your pasta.

Salt and pepper your fish and dredge in flour. Pan fry fish until golden brown,turning only once and placing just enough fillets in the pan as to not crowd them. Place fish to drain on a rack over a cookie sheet (the kind with sides so the oil doesnt run off into your oven. Set your oven to 425 while you are finishing frying the fish. When all the fish is done, place in the oven while you saute the spouts and cook the pasta. Listen for it to begin to sizzle - dont want to burn it! After 5-7 minutes or when you hear it sizzle turn the oven off. Leave it in the oven to stay warm while you finish.

Place the skillet of cream sauce on a low burner and warm it back to nearly boiling. Add the balance of the chicken broth mixed with 1 tsp corn starch and zest of your citrus fruits. Stir occasionally to keep it from sticking or getting brown. It should thicken nicely. In the mean time, cook your pasta and saute shredded sprouts in a skillet with the butter and olive oil - browning very slightly. Salt and pepper to taste. Pasta - should take 4-5 mintues for the Angel Hair or 5-7 for the Thin Spaghetti. When pasta is done, drain and plate, adding warmed sauce and to taste, top with a spoonful of sauted sprouts and place fish on the side and drizzle reserved citrus juices. YUMMY.

This is a “Susan Recipe” so if you have any questions, ask…I wrote it down as I went, trying to make it as clear as possible. It is definitely going in the recipe binder. I served this with a toasted bagguette.
Deni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Hawaiian Islands this fish is almost always either used for bait or just tossed back into the water. I do not understand the craze about this tasteless fish, as it is farm raised and pumped up with antibiotics just to keep it afloat… So much for sustainable marine life.

Deni

Lost no more but still in paradise...
NotQuiteJuneCleaver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops

Last edited by NotQuiteJuneCleaver on Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total
NotQuiteJuneCleaver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tasted pretty good to me. We actually use squid for bait here. And I think some people eat that....bait to me!
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you must get really fresh fish and in varieties that we mainlanders can only imagine, Deni, and I can see how that would determine your palate and preferences. But, given what's available here, I think tilapia is very nice too.
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a sauce for salmon this week with creme fraiche, a dab of meyer lemon juice and some horseradish - + salt & Pepper.

I marinated the salmon for about an hour in salt and lemon zest (which I wiped off before cooking). Then baked it. Turned out yummy! A keeper according to Sam...

I have only had tilapia a couple of times, so I can't weigh in on the controversy. It tasted fine to me. I always try to make sure that the fish I buy is wild caught - maybe that makes a difference...

I still have some of my sauce in the fridge, so maybe I'll try it with tilapia this week!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: