Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

New member introducing herself
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Mishka. I have not been to Malaysia yet. My eldest son did his first overseas work at Club Med in Cherating and is totally in love with Malaysia. He would love to one day live there permanently. Perhaps you could post a typical family meal for us. He always insists we eat out a Malaysian restaurant when he is home. It would be nice to be able to cook him a Malay meal next time he is back for a few days.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: the food of Mishkaland.. Reply with quote

Welcome Mishka...what a splendidly fun group this is!...a true United Nations Wink ~ am I happier than when tucking into roti canai ~ that texture I especially love...whenever I order it I'm impatient ~ no, that's not the word...however I think HOW can I wait a second ..a nanosecond for this scrumptious food...
Mishka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Glorious Food! Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!

Indeed, here in Malaysia, we are spoilt for choices... we can choose from so many different types of food that will be available 24/7...

Imagine feeling hungry after a late nite movie... we just drive to the nearest "mamak" (Indian/Muslim) stall to have our "teh tarik" (literally 'pulled tea'), a thick, creamy milk tea concoction and YES... the heavenly "roti canai" (crispy pancake) to be drenched in curries!!!

As we are a multiracial country with predominantly Malay, Chinese and Indian races... deciding what to eat daily can be a chore! Especially if we go out in a group.... at least 1/2 hr to decide!!!

Oohhh... I must make sure I get enough of my local favourites before I go for my vacation! I'll be travelling for 1 month starting next week... going over to the States but doing a stopover in The Netherlands for 1 week...

[/quote]
swan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He Mishka!

The Netherlands? How nice!! Do you have plans, friends here who can show you around, do you know already what you want to do and see? If you need any tips, just say so!
I'm sure me and the other dutchies here can come up with some tips...
Cornette

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How nice to go to the Netherlands. So much to see here.
Any idea what you are going to visit?

Cornette
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: threads... Reply with quote

apart from Clotilde's gorgeous daily offering....this thread is an example of WHY I love cnz so much...it is so rich with texture and personality and temperament.....and joy of life...to all those who contribute in any way...a zillion thanks for all you add to my life...
Cornette

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree.
There are a lot of great Forums but this one is the greatest thanks to all the Nationalities and nice people.

Cornette
simona

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Mishka, and bon voyage to Holland and the USA.I hope when you'll come back, you will post some woderful recipes and tell us more about your country, which unfortunately I cannot visit ( for now ay least). Israelis don't get visas for your country ( except in special cases). I have a Malay cook book, but we miss some of the ingredients. I looks beautiful though..

No more war, no more closed frontiers, more peace
simona

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reread al the posts in this forum, and I would like to congratulare Cornette of opening it by deciding to introduce herself. It's important ,I think, to know some basic facts about our friends in the forum, nothing intrusive, but just some basic facts, like if the person behind an original pen-name is a man or a women, maybe age group , location ( most do mention a location but some do not), , filds of interest ( besides food of course), or whatever one is ready to share about himself/herself.
I would like this topic to continue, so our new friends could use it, if they fell like.

No more war, more friends!
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome here, Cornette and Mishka! This is a great place to visit, isn't it! I belong, mostly, to Writer's Boards, but they are sorely under-represented by the World community. I love the fact that this site is so Global.

Cornette: My first husband and his entire family is Dutch, coming from Sittard. He worked in the Diamond Industry so we went "home" at least a dozen times a year, for him to do work and for both of us to visit his family. His mum immigrated to the U.S. and stayed there, but his other immediate family members all stayed behind. Sadly, they have all passed on now, as they were in their 60's when we were married and that was over 35 years ago. His sister, however, married a Dutch man and moved back to Sittard, so I always have her to visit and to get recipes from, when I need them. Plus, one of my best friends is Dutch (she lives in London now), so I can always ask Nicole Dutch questions.

Welcome, again, to both of you!
JustMe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a wonderful site. I happened upon it within days of my first ventures into blogging and it's one of the reasons I am now hooked. I check it every day. It is so wonderful to talk to people from all over the world and see how similiar and different we are. It doesn't take long after reading people's comments to get a feel for them & to look forward to their comments.

I just started my own blog but really haven't had the opportunity to fine tune it yet. I did, however write a blog about penpals recently because this on-line chatting reminds me so much of that. If anyone is interested it's at http://just4musing.blogspot.com/ ...a little insight into who I am, I guess. Though I still find myself hesitant to get too personal...too much media hype about the dangers of the internet.

While I am reading this forum I imagine a group of very diverse people all sitting around eating & drinking and talking....and talking...and talking. This is very enjoyable.
Feste

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with JustMe; I happened upon this blog a few weeks ago and now cannot get near a computer without checking in and seeing what people are talking about. I feel like there is a very warm community here, different perhaps to what I have heard from other people who are part of online communities. And the wealth of foodie info from around the world is really fascinating. So thank you for the interesting discussions!

And for Simona, some additional information: I am in art school studying furniture, after working as a cabinetmaker. I also refinish furniture on the side (and I'm a bartender to pay the bills). I love modern art, conceptual stuff. And I adore my sister. But right now I am really just looking forward to two weeks from now, when I will be out for the semester and I can make some jam! I ordered Christine Ferber's book "Mes Confitures" after reading Clotilde's posts about it and can't wait to start cooking.

Thanks again!
Mishka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again!

It's been a few days since my last post. Been real busy preparing for my big trip! I'll be flying off to Frankfurt on Wed, then taking a train up to The Hague to visit my friend. Plan is to spend 1 week around Amsterdam (definitely not missing out on Queen's Day celebration... heard it's one big party!)

Will fly on to the States for sis graduation in Michigan. Then we're off on our road trip around the States. Starting with Chicago, moving on to Las Vegas and San Franscisco area then on to New York.

We've been planning for this trip a year ago and we look forward to some adventure!

Anyone from these areas wishing to share good food places, off the beaten track things that we ought to do, tips etc... WELCOME!

Had "nasi lemak" for breakfast this morning. It's a common breakfast selection for us Malaysians... rice cooked with coconut milk (altho many food stall owners are opting for milk as a healthier substitute), served with roasted peanuts, hard boiled egg, deep fried crunchy anchovies, cucumbers and MOST importantly, "sambal"... a chili sauce/paste of sort with dried/fresh chillies, shallots, ginger. The "sambal" is the make/ break point for the tastiness of the nasi lemak (fragrant rice).

The nasi lemak has evolved into many different varieties... some with fried fish/ chicken added, squid sambal etc. Personally, I'm still sticking to the original version. Yummy!
simona

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to Feste, thank you for sharing with us some information. You really have a special profession, I envy ( in a very positive way) all those who are capable of "making" art. And I'm also happy to hear that old craftmanships are still with us, because whenever I ask a 20+ old about his job, computers is the most frequent answer. I wish you a lot of success.
As for your plans to make some jam during your semester vacation, I will permit myself to post my favourite, which has a lot of success with all my friends/family . But I'll post it on the already existing topic : jams /comfitures. I wouldn't dare to pretend to compete with the very famous Christine Ferber, but I still believe it's a very good recipe. Bon Appetit!

Mishka, bon voyage!

No more war, more confitures and voyages!
elemenoh

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another newbie, saying hello ...

About me: I'm an American college student, spending some time in Scotland for the moment. I'm a flutist and a physicist (well, physicist-in-training), and risotto is my favorite thing in the world.

I've been lurking around here for quite some time, and I thought I'd finally speak up. You all are a great group - I've thoroughly enjoyed following the discussions here, and I hope you'll enjoy my company as well Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: