Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

olives
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandysu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: olives Reply with quote

I generally find green olives a bit too salty for my taste, and kalamatas a bit bitter--though I confess I haven't really experimented with either. I probably ought to try them again one of these days.

I am, however, absolutely in love with the dry-looking (I believe they are oil-cured) black olives from the olive bar at Whole Foods. Slicing a few of them up with some oven-dried tomatoes, thyme, and garlic into polenta is simply fabulous, and they lend a nice flavor to a green bean salad with herbs.

Another thing I recently rediscovered after opening a can of black olives for with tacos: smoked olives. Just dump them into a container with their brine, add ~1tsp "liquid smoke" (mine is hickory, made by Wright's), and let marinate at least overnight. They're positively addictive!!!

Does anyone else have a favorite olive or olive recipe?
BG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might enjoy the book "Olives: The Life and Lore of a Noble Fruit," by Mort Rosenblum, a former editor of the International Herald Tribune, who now lives on his own olive patch in Provence!

The Chemist in the Kitchen (sometimes)
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty kalamata olives in oil... chopped and added to rice with flaked tuna, chopped cucumber, spring onions, quartered cherry tomatoes and mayonnaise make a great salad meal.

Tho' I admit I can quite happily sit and eat the olives on their own.
David

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there are few vegie delights that surpass Clotilde's wonderful Olive and Zucchini recipe in the Chocolate & Zucchini Cookbook!
glenita

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
3 1/2 cups whole mixed olives, drained
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
4 teaspoons grated orange zest
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Stir the olives together with the wine, orange juice, olive oil, and garlic in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Nestle the sprigs of rosemary in the olives.
Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through the baking. Remove and discard the rosemary sprigs, then stir in the parsley, oregano, orange zest, and red pepper flakes. Serve warm, or cool the olives and use them to top a salad.
----------------
Glenita
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly hard to beat a tapanade, either black or green.

For the black, I toss a handful of pitted Kalamatas in the food processor (maybe a cup?). In goes an anchovy filet or two, a couple cloves garlic, and enough evoo to produce the texture I want.
David

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my KYHeirloomer--I've long considered tapenade to be the savoury equivalent of ambrosia! Check out the archives in the Recipe Box section here on C & Z and you'll find my favourite recipe. It includes a bit of lemon juice and some capers as well as the anchovies and olives.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if I can find it, David.

I usually sprinkle capers over the finished product, rather than mixing them in. But lemon juice sounds like an interesting addition.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Granted, I'm Techno Challanged.... Reply with quote

....and you can't do high tech with a low tech mind. But has anyone here actually tried using our search feature? What a joke!

I tried first under "tapandade." Only thing to come up was this thread. So then I tried under "olives."

Aha! Three pages of possibilities. Except: Crying or Very sad

The listings are arranged not by the subject asked for (i.e., olives) but by the name of the thread. None of them on the first page had "tapanade" as part of their titles. So I clicked on page 2......

And got a message telling me that there were no hits for the search parameters I'd entered.

So, David, if you don't mind, could your repost your recipe? Thanks.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KYH, if you do a search on tapenade with the author David, you'll find about 8 results, one of which has the title Tapenade, in the Recipe Box section.

Here it is to save time...

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=463

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Judy.

I don't understand why it couldn't find it when I put in tapanade as the search parameter. That's the title of the thread.

David: That sounds really good, and I'll have to try it that way next time. Thanks for sharing.
Comet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually my favourites are kalamata, but last night I had a different type of olive. I've just grabbed the jar: They are Whole, Greek Green Marinated Olives. I bought them from Woolworths. (Oz) Anyway, they are really quite peppery and yum, but the pips bother me.
CJB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey! i do this really easy marinade for olives... takes just a minute, and i always get compliments! it's a really handy thing to have in the fridge for impromptu guests Wink
i take a regular can of olives (mixed, or 2 cans one green and one black, or just one color), drain and rinse, and add lemon zest, orange zest, minced garlic, chopped rosemary and cover (or nearly) with olive oil. place in a tupperware and give it a shake every few hours for the first day. then keeps in the fridge for at least 2 weeks Wink
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comet, if the pips really bother you, and if you don't mind splitting the olives, try this:

Put an olive on your cutting board. Lay the flat of a chef's knife against the olive. Slap the blade sharply with your fist.

This will partially flatten (and sometimes split) the olive. But it also loosens the pip. Using your paring knife cut around the olive, longways. Then pry the halves apart and discard the pip.

You will probably smash the heck out of a few olives before getting the hang of it. But perservere and you'll soon learn how much pressure is needed.
David

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KYHeirloomer for your kind interest and thank you Judy for doing the techie stuff!

One note to it all. A friend of mine followed my exact recipe with one exception--Arthur didn't have a blender so actually pounded the whole mess in a large mortar with a clunking big pestle-----and I actually preferred the texture he came out with. It was slightly more chunky but the flavours had still blended well. But personally, I'm too lazy for that approach and will stick to the blender----with a watchful eye that it not become toooooooo smooth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: