Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Romantic Evening in the City of Light for two and a half.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Griffin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew,

Stuffy reserved Englishman?!! Er, you mean you actually know some?!! Laughing

You should see Nottingham on a Friday night... actually, no you really probably shouldn't... nothing stuffy and reserved there... ahem, quite the reverse if anything!! Embarassed

Sadly, many Brits are known these days as the binge drinkers of Europe. Stuffy and reserved might actually be a good thing with some of them.

You're right tho' ... there is just something about Paris... and I don't mean Hilton either!
Andrew le Gourmand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been to Nottingham in a while not since I was married but... I was there a couple of times in my, misspent youth.

One of the things I always loved about France is that, my impression has always been, the French will drink (and get drunk) because they like what they are drinking. My fellow Brits all too often drink to get drunk.
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on. Which is a shame really. Tho' increasingly there is a section of the population who are getting very choosy about what they drink.

I love Chateauneuf du Pape and can quite happily get somewhat squiffy on it. If I have a G&T then the gin has to be Bombay Sapphire which is perfect for the mix.

But then I have to avoid getting drunk these days... the hangover is more painful now that I'm over 35... a lot over 35... sigh.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Griffin you're such a character to start with, I'd love to see you squiffed! (Thanks for that new word, by the way.) Do you get surly, silly, sentimental? I thought of asking you to have a few and write something--no fair editing the next day--and post it. But no, that's NOT a good idea...
Andrew le Gourmand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin, I couldn't agree more, the Chateauneuf is a great tipple & I love the white as much as, if not more than, the red.

A G&T has to be Bombay Sapphire & Schwepps and although I have never been hungover (except once on Alchohol free Lager and once on Saki) I don't like being drunk, squiffy, totally Laughing, I never liked being drunk. At 43 I have the edge in age I hope to never have a hangover again.

I find shampoo is the perfect drink if I do want to get drunk, I stay happy all night and... No hangover, nobody I ever met got hungover off shampoo, the real deal non of this Sparkling wine from California, it's good wine but shampoo it is not.
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely agree with you on the champers! I don't like being out of my head on booze either... and not just for the payoff in the morning.

But squiffy is just slightly woozy and happy... before you're falling on the floor wondering who moved it upwards. I am a year older than you Andrew... sigh! Are you sure you're not really 21?

I loved being in Paris when I was there and didn't really want to go home. Paris is not just a beautiful city, but even in the dull grey wetness of an autumn day... there is something darkly romantic about Paris. It has a character all of its own. ...and it is lucky enough to have Clotilde and Debbie too!

Ginger I don't get surly, but a little sentimental and very 'poetical'... not very good poetical either!
Andrew le Gourmand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll never see 21 again or 41 more's the pity but then again if I were that young... I wouldn't have had all the fun I had, I was a very bookish, nerdy 21 year old and not in a good way.

Now I'm a very bookish, nerdy 43 year old... No, wait... that's not right.

I must have done something right cos I married an amazing lady who for some strange reason finds my quite attractive, women can be very... Unpredictable.

I usually stop before squiffy at a slight buzz. When the bottom lip goes numb that's too far...

So "tired and emotional" is about it.

Except, with planning, during Calgary Stampede

Laughing

The ladies are finding out wayyyy too much here.
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am a definite book addict... along with chocs and shoes. But mainly books! I probably could get very nerdy about them too. In fact, nobody should ever utter the words... 'I just don't know what to read and I really like (insert genre here)' in my presence as I can't help but provide a book list. Embarassed 'hem, 'hem.

Still if somebody gorgeous fell for you and is still with you in spite of being bookish... well you are clearly doing something right. So, jolly good show old bean, carry on, what?!

The ladies like to find out wayy too much... just so long as Mme le Gourmand doesn't read anything here, we won't tell. Your secrets are safe with us... and the other billions who read this...!!!
David

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha!! As if Madame doesn't already know!! Very Happy
Andrew le Gourmand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's hoping she likes it.

Paris is a special place.

I have always loved Paris (the French custom of kissing as a greeting may have had something to do with the 14 year-old me liking the place).

I promised her before we were married that I would take her, it's taken 5 years... Not too bad.

I think we will have to mark the occasion with one of those nice scarves in the orange boxes from that lovely store at Nº 24 rue du faubourg Saint-Honoré... I may even buy the lady wife one.

If I come up on the Lotto, I won't ever leave Paris... Except to visit Provence. I also love Provence, well... I pretty much love France and the French (may have been why I had to leave England).
simona

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was introducing a fried of mine to the c&z forums, and this topic was the one I gave for example. Both of us ( venerable grandmothers by now, but still not very old), veterans of Paris ( post graduate studies, years of living in Paris, , twice a year mandatory visits etc) decided that you ,dear Andrew, are probably not a "boy" any more: the way you described your wife and your feelings for her, the romantic dinner you like to gift her with, the fact that you want to take the child along ( no young-age couple would do that.. what are grandmothers for Laughing )... And we were right. If anything , it's the mention of the orange little boxes with those wonderful artful scarves in them from 24, Fbg St Honore gave you away ( I read you post mentioning your age one minute after the one about Hermes). Lucky wife! Anyhow, it's certainly more affordable that a Kelly - though if you order it now, it could be ready just in time of your next romantic trip to Paris, with two children this time, the little one being at least 3 YO......
Spending most of my 20' in Paris, study-ing , drinking , eating ,party-ing
etc, etc, it's part of what I am today. Falling in love with Paris is for life, and I'm sure that after your trip , it will be a shared love with your wife.

P.S. I don't think women are unpredictable, we are wise, we know how to appreciate quality when we see it( e.g. men, scarves.. Wink ), and we may party with the cool guys, but we do marry the nerd ones who want to take us to a romantic dinner wearing the new little scarve from the orange box..

No more war, more romantic dinners in Paris, more Hermes scarves in little orange boxes!!!
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of those scarves in the orange box on my first trip to Paris in 1996. I wore it today actually.
ExpatSteve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Enlightenment verses Luminescence Reply with quote

Andrew,

Paris is known as the “City of Light” as in enlightened thinking, not the City of Lights as in the bright lights of the Champs Elysées.

Not far from the Place Bastille is a beautiful square from the Haussmann era called the Square Trousseau. At one end of the square is a restaurant of the same name, a belle époque jewel, intimate, not on the usual tourists’ lists, and with excellent food to boot.
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Enlightenment verses Luminescence Reply with quote

ExpatSteve wrote:
Andrew,

Paris is known as the “City of Light” as in enlightened thinking, not the City of Lights as in the bright lights of the Champs Elysées.

I get very cross when the media get this wrong. Just recently our state television did a programme and called Paris the City of Lights. The programme was about the man who kept the lights functioning in Paris. It is that type of reporting that causes people to misunderstand the meaning.

I would have expected better from them.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it meant both -- bright from the physical beauty, and bright from the intelligence of some thinkers/writers/artists/movements there.

Salt Lake City, Utah (where I'm sittin' and typin' Smile has been called "The Crossroads of the West"-- a nickname with historical/geographical truth to it.

What is the nickname of YOUR town? I've always liked New York being called (among other things) "the city that doesn't sleep"--sounds like fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: