Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Soupir in Paris?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlitvak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Soupir in Paris? Reply with quote

There used to be a wonderful patisserie in Passy called Coquelin Aine, and they sold a dessert called a soupir: a chocolate shell with a cream filling on a genoise base. Since the shop closed, I have looked for this dessert all over Paris, without success. Does anyone know of a patisserie where I might find it? Or must I resign myself to sighing for it forever?
Andrew le Gourmand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regret to say that I haven't the faintest idea but what a quest.

To have to search the Pâtisseries of Paris for a desert. I can think of worse ways to spend a life.
minty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my God ! I never though I would "meet" somebody on this forum who knew Coquelin ! Shocked I ate there with my parents almost every saturday during my childhood, until it closed - I particularly remember the chocolatines, noisettines and puits d'amour though...
There was also Chatton, on the Avenue Victor Hugo ...

The soupir sounds a bit like the feuille d'automne from Lenotre though ; do you know it ? Very Happy
jlitvak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Andrew le Gourmand and Minty,

Thanks for your replies. Yes, it's hard to search for pastries in Paris, but someone has to do it...I don't know the feuille d'automne at Lenotre, but I'll look for it. One of the more remarkable things about the soupir was its teardrop shape--as if it anticipated its own disappearance. Speaking of tears, I've run into quite a few people over the years who remember Coquelin and still haven't gotten over its closing.
chochotte

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could these pâtisseries be 'soupirs de nonnes'? Just to make the search a bit clearer....
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up "soupirs de nonnes" (nun's sighs) because I was curious--and it got complicated quickly. The soupirs de nonnes are described as teardrop shaped fried choux dough, or beignets souffles. Except there seems to be a Canadian version which is more like a little cinnamon bun. Also, a reader at the wonderful blog "The Old Foodie" says that the real name is "pets de nonnes" (nun's farts). Another site says the larger pastries are called "pet de Bretons" (fart from someone from Bretagne/Brittany), or simply attributed to the Mother Superior. And then Robert Olney (in his book "Simple French Food") says the original real name is "pets de putain" (putain=prostitute). Hmm...if asked the opposite of "nun", I would have said "priest"--not whore!
Anyway, none of these goodies match jlitvak's 'chocolate shell with filling on genoise' pastry --so maybe the bakery had a unique treat that they called "Sighs"?
minty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as I know, the real name is "pets de nonne" - the origin is supposedly that a nun farted in the kitchen of the Abbaye de Marmoutier ; the others nuns laughed and one of them dropped some dough inadvertedly in a pot of boiling water.
This is made in choux pastry and has no resemblance whatsoever to the cake jlitvak is looking for ; he is looking for something like a petit four, only bigger - a gateau and not a cake...

the cake I'm thinking of is pictured here with the recipe...
http://livre.fnac.com/a1905194/Collectif-La-patisserie
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a good hearty laugh reading about your researches, GP. Quite an illuminating confusion!
David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it! In Quebec they are called "pets des soeurs" which also translates as" nuns farts".
Andrew le Gourmand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This place is an education.

You ay not get the answer you were looking for but you will get a lot of interesting answers.

Of course half those answers raise a host of new questions but... C'est la vie as they say.
minty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few pictures from Lenôtre, with the "feuille d'automne"

David

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah minty, brings a tear to one's eye doesn't it!! Thanks for the photos.
Colonnade de 199 macarons!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: