Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Old Bay Seasoning Recipes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tammy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Old Bay Seasoning Recipes Reply with quote

After reading Clotilde's post about the Old Bay seasoning that she received from Alicia, I decided to look for it when I was in Boston in May. I was out shopping today looking for the Bed of Roses rub that she mentioned as well when I came across the Old Bay. So I snatched it up. Only thing is, when I went back to read the comments, everyone was offering up their love of Old Bay and crabs. Well, I HATE crabs and all other crustaceans so I'm thinking just sprinkle it on some white fish and throw that on the grill.

Does anyone have any favourite recipes using Old Bay they'd like to share for a newbie?
rebecca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it next time you make fried chicken! No, really. Everyone has their favorite fried chicken batter recipe. The standard coating is usually flour, salt and pepper, preceded by a dip in either milk or buttermilk. Next time you make fried chicken--and I'm assuming you do, unless you're not fond of poultry either--try adding some Old Bay seasoning to taste in the flour mixture in place of the salt and pepper.
Feste

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love corn on the cob with a lime squeezed over it and sprinkled with Old Bay. It's also good with zatar. I always bring corn on the cob when I go camping, which is often in the summer.

Enjoy!
melinda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my fav is to sprinkle liberally onto just peeled raw shrimp, saute on fairly hi heat in olive oil with garlic & rosemary, add lemon & voila.....eat alone, wrapped in a warm tortilla (beware of dripping juices) or even room temp

also can be quite tasty on strips of chix ...season & cook same as above...I go thru cans of old bay very fast (my husband even sprinkles on the "rat" cheese he puts on crackers)
Tammy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sprinkled it very liberally on some talapia I did in the oven on the weekend. Very nice. Makes a bit of a crispy coating. Love the corn idea! It's getting to that season so will definitely have to try that.

Can of Old Bay? Mine came in a plastic jar and had the McCormack's logo so I'm questioning it's authenticity. Will have to hit a grocery store when I'm in Boston and pick some up to do a proper compare.
melinda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tammy.....the authentic Old Bay comes in a can ...there is even a huge size.....but anything that says "chesapeake bay style seasoning" probably has the same ingredients....haven't seen a mcCormick version around here, but everyone uses the one in the yellow can with red letters....it's a baltimore area thing
Tammy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ingredients list is actually really funny: salt, spices (including red pepper). That's it! So it's definitely a secret. I'm guessing there's chili powder because of the kick but that's all I could tell. I'm also thinking it's not authentic because the label is printed in French and English which is standard here in Canada.
ejm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't actually tasted the McCormick version of old bay seasoning but we make our own, using this recipe for old bay seasoning (Spice Rub #3)

And it really is great on fried or barbecued chicken!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: