Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

favorite snack foods
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erin,

can you give us any tips on toasting nuts with honey? that's something i have never attempted.

eagerly,

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I do is place them dry in a saute pan and allow them to toast part way, on medium before adding a bit of honey and cayanne. I go pretty light on the honey though, it gets very clumpy. Then I add the cayanne and let it go a minute. Oh, turn it down when you add the honey! I have always eyeballed this one so I have not precise directions.

"It's hot ham water."
monkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merci! for the tip. this sounds like something i will enjoy experimenting with.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way be so, so careful with the hot honey, I got a little on my thumb last night it was like napalm.
goddess

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caprese! basil mozzarella, perfect tomatoes and olive oil....yum yum yum
David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that one goddess. A truly devine snack/course/meal!
anna

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like to make roasted chickpeas. just take a couple cans of chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), drain them very well and toss with olive oil, salt and the spices of your choice (i like cumin, cayenne, paprika and PLENTY of garlic powder). bake them in a ~400 degree oven for a about an hour, then put them under the boiler for another 15 min or so until very crispy, almost burnt. these are really yummy and they keep for more than a week.
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Snack foods Reply with quote

My current snack food: Take a dried apricot, squish a little brie or camembert into the centre and the squish a piece of crystallised ginger into the brie. Yummy!
monkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Snack foods Reply with quote

Barbara wrote:
My current snack food: Take a dried apricot, squish a little brie or camembert into the centre and the squish a piece of crystallised ginger into the brie. Yummy!

i remembered your suggestion as i was fumbling for a snack for myself and a friend this week. i had all the ingredients and the resulting snack was fabulous! yum! thanks!

Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So pleased you enjoyed them Monkey.
Annie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Your Favorite Snack Foods Reply with quote

As I am prone to do, as well as some others, I love the sweet and salt mixture. I love to snack on trail mix made at home. Take Sunflower kernals, cashews, raisins, M&M's, and dried apricots and mix them together. Munch all you want without all the guilt. Although I love cheese just as much as the next person but it has a tendancy to harden the arteries. If you like popcorn though, try melting some butter in a saucepan and add about 1/4 cup peanut butter until melted. Pour over popcorn and enjoy. Also very healthy and the peanut butter will help you feel full.
tennoji

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Japan we have tasty little snacks called senbei. They are like light crackers made with shrimp or seaweed. A great snack that goes well with a glass of wine. My mother, who lives in Switzerland, always asks for them for Christmas.
lee_loreya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love specialty breads as a snack, with all kinds of fillings: cinnamon, raisins, nuts, olives, dried plums, pumpernickel seeds, linseed, cheese, herbs; and in every available form (bagel, english muffin, fougasse, puff pastry kind, pain de campagne, ciabatta...). I really enjoy a late afternoon walk to the bakery where they have the four o'clock fresh bread out of the oven, and you almost burn your hands trying to tear a piece of the baguette.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Your Favorite Snack Foods Reply with quote

Annie wrote:
If you like popcorn though, try melting some butter in a saucepan and add about 1/4 cup peanut butter until melted. Pour over popcorn and enjoy. Also very healthy and the peanut butter will help you feel full.

What a great idea, Annie. Popcorn is my favourite snack food, and then pistachios that are salted. I also buy fresh fruit platters that are already made up, so if I feel like something sweet, I'll eat strawberries and pineapple. I also like youghurt with honey, especially Tupelo or Buckwheat with sunflower seeds thrown in.
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Snack foods Reply with quote

Barbara wrote:

This is quite like one of my main dinner items. I bake flat bread or "hard tack" the military version which I then break up into cracker-sized pieces. These I eat with dried fruit (typically plums) and cheese.

My "hard tack" is basically water, bread flour, yellow corn meal, and salt, rolled thin and baked in oven flipped once to brown both sides. I use a 2:1 ratio of bread flour to corn meal. The yellow corn meal makes it taste a little like Corn Flakes cereal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: