Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Special breakfast
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
climbeyalex

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good quality frozen dim sum is great for breakfast. Put them in the steamer for a few minutes and breakfast is ready. Very Happy A favorite breakfast from my childhood is pizza scones. Split two scones and top each side with pizza or pasta sauce, cheese, herbs and ham or some other veggies and toast them until the cheese is all melty. My husband makes a delicious thing of chopped tomatoes, seasoned with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and god only knows what else, cracks eggs into the tomatoes mixture to cook and then tops the whole thing with Parmesan cheese. Lots of toast and a couple of fat juicy sausages rounds the whole lot off nicely.
________
buy extreme vaporizer

Last edited by climbeyalex on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baked French Toast is a fantastic make-ahead breakfast. I had forgotten all about it until you shared your recipe, wdillsmith - thanks. I did a savoury version for Christmas breakfast a couple of years ago, with ham and cheese.

Gingerpale, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you about the Turkish eggs. I went back and had them at one of my favourite cafes .... purely for research purposes, of course!

Traditional Turkish breakfast of poached eggs atop warmed garlic yoghurt drizzled with paprika butter served with sauteed mushrooms and warm Turkish bread.

The eggs and yoghurt are served in a bowl.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
emilyj

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy wrote:

Traditional Turkish breakfast of poached eggs atop warmed garlic yoghurt drizzled with paprika butter served with sauteed mushrooms and warm Turkish bread.

The eggs and yoghurt are served in a bowl.

Neil Perry has a similar recipe in his book ´the food I love´ , it was totally delicious. I think it is just poached eggs on toast (I use English muffins) with a yogurt, garlic and lemon juice sauce and sage brown butter. I haven´t made it for a year or so, will have to do it again. So easy and yummy.
georgia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a strata, which is delicious and can be (actually, should be) assembled the night before. You can find wonderful recipes containing just about anything that you particularly favor. For me...bread, eggs, cheese, onion, spinach. Delicious. The Gourmet Cookbook has a couple of fine examples. Also, there's an old cookbook, recently re-released, entitled Morning Food, by Margaret Fox. Notice, she does not call it "breakfast" food, and her definition ranges far and wide. But, it's a fine book with lots of good ideas and a lot of eye-openers for what we can logically think of as First Meal of the Day food. (strawberries + cream + eggs = breakfast...OR...ice cream...why not?) I guarantee it will make some converts of more than a few "I never eat breakfast" types.
dory

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Molly Katzen's Sunlight Cafe as well. I make the ricotta muffins and also the bran muffins. However, despite having a sweet tooth the rest of the day, I don't care for sweets much in the morning. I have too many bad memories of road trips with my parents involving sweet rolls slathered with sickeningly sweet glaze! Yuck! If I were to have a special breakfast I would probably make not too sweet muffins in advance, a fruit salad with a lime, ginger, cinnamon and honey or agave glaze the night before (not too sweet, please!), and a Spanish potato and egg tortilla the morning of the breakfast.

I do like the idea of the baked French toast, however! I have never made it that way, and it would be a lot easier than making it slice by slice.

Dory

P.S. Responding to the earlier comment about iceberg lettuce. I actually miss it, as it is something from my past that has not been very common in my life in recent years. (I mostly eat it in sandwiches at McDOnald's where I eat only in dire emergencies. That does not do iceberg justice, mixing it with rancid grease. I think that accounts for its reputation.) I would consider making it really retro. I remember in old style steak houses they would soak iceberg in ice water to make it really crispy, and cut it in slices to serve with a thick type dressing on top, like thousand island or blue cheese. I think you cut it into bites with a knife and fork. The other possibility would be an old fashioned chef's salad with crumbles of hard-boiled egg, bacon and tiny bits of cheese.
CJB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey! i like the make-your-own granola and yogurt idea: granola, nuts, fruit, berries, maybe some stewed fruit or jam, yogurt, maple syrup... (and everything can be made ahead!)

wdillsmith's recipe for ovened french toast sounds great, i've also only made it in a pan, which takes a while when you're cooking for a bunch of people... looking forward to trying it Smile

otherwise, i like to make quiches, muffins or cinnamon rolls for breakfast, although i usually entertain at brunch Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: