Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

a certain restaurant of the year...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: a certain restaurant of the year... Reply with quote

permission to brag a little...sort of degrees of separation idea..

http://www.quay.com.au

son Andrew is junior sous chef at Quay...

he rang a couple of days back...late at night...they'd just found out..joy call...

so...........if you're in town....do visit Very Happy

am simply tickled pink for them all...it's a fascinating kitchen...have visited it the once..

was lucky enough to also visit the mg garage kitchen years back...the year it was announced as restaurant of the year...will never ever ever ever forget talking with Yanni Kyritsis on an oh so busy Friday evening..I'd said to our waiter 'I'd kill to get in to the kitchen.' With a smile he said " I'll see what I can do."...minute later...Yanni said to come in...

I was beside myself with joy...telling him..thank you thank you...and sort of suggesting I might just stay and watch for a few seconds...oh no..not on your life...he said since I was interested I could stay...we chatted..I asked him if he was to be a food what would it be...wild greens on the hills of Greece...and later he added pomegranate...

I watched in amazement at the working of that kitchen...and when I thought the experience couldn't get any better...off he took me to the dessert station...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I told him my son was interested in cooking...immediately "Tell him to come in"....son was in the middle of the final exams in high school...Janni gave me his card.."Tell him to give me a ring on Sunday."..later he joined us at our table...later our waiter gave me a bag..'This is from Janni for your son.'...his signature chocolate wonder...gold leaf atop..

upshot?

Andy went in for a day...I picked him up that night...he with the news that Yanni had asked him back for the week...he adored the experience...as did I in a way Wink can remember dropping in one day with a container of my beloved mother in law's rum ball mixture..soooooo smooth...no longer did I roll them...simply made the mix and folk scooped it out with a spoon..or knife..very rich...I brought some to mg for the staff to share..Yanni and I spoke about shared food...he said he likes when cutlery meets..the sound of shared...golly golly golly gosh I adore the language of food and drink...speaks to my BEing methinks..

so dear pals...this the latest news ...

shall we raise glasses...clink..and drink the bubbles of delight...and joyous work..

one never ever knows what's around that corner...
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is wonderful news Madame. Clinking glasses to you and Andy and Quay.
georgia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo, Andrew! Bravo, Quay! And congratulations, Madame. Pride in one's children's achievements is a lovely thing. Wonderful on all fronts.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How exciting, what a wonderful achievement!

"It's hot ham water."
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, just to think... what if... what if you and Yanni had not met... all of these wonderful achievements because the right mum met the right chef in the right place at the right time... and now Andy is well on the way.

Congratulations to Andy and to Quay... and to Yanni and Madame whose one wonderful moment started something.
David

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohmy but the menu has left me slobbering!!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How wonderful Madame! You'll be hanging out at the harbor from now on!
(In Australia it's pronounced "key", "kay"?) Of course a few years, down the line, the book, yes?

The photos/menu are-- what David said, I like those lucite (?) chairs too!
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Madame!!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, what fantastic news, Madame. I didn't realise Andy worked there. You and Sieg must be almost bursting with pride!

Gingerpale, it's pronounced 'key'.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed Judy..the tickled pinkishness continues!

Andy recently gifted me with some Andrew-made salami 'n Andrew-made muesli..."The flavour that might be new for you is the ('n I've forgotten the two adjectives! Wink ) mandarin peel."

Last weekend we were at wondrous sister-in-law Rosemarie's table (everyone should experience that once in a lifetime!) with Andy and his partner Clara...beloved Clara ...she handed me the latest Gourmet Traveller Wine Guide..with a smile by the way...well of course I turned to Bistrode..'n there it was..her name alongside Jeremy Strode's ...she and Jeremy worked together on the wine list..

"In 2002 Jeremy headed to Sydney to become chef director of MG Garage."!!!!!

http://www.bistrode.com

Clara truly loves her work there...speaks glowingly of the two Js..
so all in all...the past week has been rather up there in the cloudsish for me...further clinking ...care to join me?

thanks for the messages...they are icing on the cake..

a clip from The Australian paper:
"THE stars of Australia's fine-dining firmament were out and shining last night to hear Peter Gilmore's Quay named Restaurant of the Year at the Australian Gourmet Traveller 2009 Restaurant Guide Awards.

Three-star chefs Neil Perry, Tetsuya Wakuda and Guillaume Brahimi - not to mention Sydneysider Gilmore himself - were among those who swapped aprons for finer threads and made their way to Sydney's Wharf Restaurant for one of the hospitality industry's biggest nights.

Gourmet Traveller editor Anthea Loucas said Gilmore had taken his work to "a whole new level of finesse".

"It's really come together for Peter in the last 12 months," she said. "He's innovative but it's not forced.

"He's really hitting his straps.""
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOORAY!!!!!!

What fabulous news! Congratulations to Andrew, and to his wonderful Mum and Dad (without whom he would not be here Wink ).

Now trying to think if I can squeeze in a meal there while in Sydney..... so many things to do - so little time. sigh.

gros bisous Madame et Sieg, see you soon!
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another phone call from Andy, rather late at night...they'd just heard Quay won another top award..this time the SMH Good Food Guide..restaurant of the year...methinks they've done some serious celebrating!!!!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/restaurant-reviews/quay/2008/09/02/1220121180569.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: