Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

my newest kitchen friend :-)..microplane
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: my newest kitchen friend :-)..microplane Reply with quote

I know I know...probably a zillion people have one already..however all things in time Wink

the sheer joy of zesting an orange..the delicate curls..almost seethrough fine..I was beside myself with joy!!!

thank you to the inventor...'n a note to my digital kitchen scales..my heart still belongs to you...
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you've gone and got yourself in trouble, Madame.

Did you know there are 8, count 'em, 8 different microplane blades? In several configurations (i.e., thin and long, rectangular, etc.). And you can even get them in box-grater form, with each side having a different blade?

Bet you can't stop with just one. Laughing
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh oh..a box grater! my mplane was a gift..thoughtful ..
CarlaH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: my newest kitchen friend :-)..microplane Reply with quote

Madame, I know exactly what you mean - I too recently acquired a microplane and now don't know why it took me so long to do so - in fact I went out and bought a second one with different blades. Everytime I use it them I say WOW. [/img]
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't they fantastic? I have 4, including a nutmeg grater which is my favourite.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
David

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See KYHeirloomer is right---you can't stop at just one! I'm going to have to have a look at these---but other than zesting what are you all using them for??
srk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently moved, and a few days ago I tried to make a favorite lemon pasta dish without my microplane grater (whereabouts unknown). I ended up having to dredge the totally-ineffective ordinary grater in the sauce to get the lemon off. Grrr!

I then went down to my basement and dug around until I located my microplane grater so I wouldn't have to do that again. Yay!
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm? I know I posted this earlier. Now it's gone.

Besides zesting microplanes are used for grating, shaving, shredding all sorts of things from both hard & soft cheeses to vegetables to chocolate.

You even can use them to peel otherwise awkward veggies, like pumpkins and other winter squash.

In case anyone isn't aware of it, microplanes were not designed for culinary uses. They originated as woodworking tools, and, by a fortuitous accident, moved into the kitchen.

Keep that in mind, because the workshop is full of tools that can do yeoman's work in the kitchen. For instance, woodcarving gouges are ideal for coring & seeding things like whole pears (although a melon baller works for that too). And I've yet to see the kitchen mallat that flattens chicken breasts and veal scallops as efficiently as a dead-blow hammer.
David

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOw I get it. And yeah, I have a rasp from Lee Valley Tools that is just the best for nutmeg and similar hard kitchen things!
mandysu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: couldn't live without it... Reply with quote

I got my first microplane about 2 years ago, in a minor bit of retail therapy at Crate and Barrel. The ease of zesting even soft meyer lemons absolutely converted me. I *had* to get my mom one, and now she's totally addicted too.

I use my fine zester for citrus and ginger (I peel and freeze fresh ginger, then just pull out a knob and grate what I want into the dish), and I then bought a flat coarse grater, which i use for chocolate, garlic, parmesan, nutmeg (it's easier to get out of the flat grater than the thin zester, but is pretty similar in texture), and zucchini (for cakes)--not all at the same time, though! I recently got a flat extra coarse grater, which I use for parmesan (when I want curls with a bit more body) and veggies (grated carrot and zucchini salad with red pepper and chermoula...).

I just got a mandoline slicer for my birthday. I'm hoping it will be similarly revolutionary in my kitchen. Wink
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microplane Box grater?!?!

Must. Get. One.

Wheres my Amazon gift card, doggonit? I left it around here somewhere...
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MandySue, mandolines are incredible tools. I use mine often. But take it low and slow initially, as they also are the most dangerous tool in the kitchen.

Even though it's awkward, and desite what you see on Iron Chef, use the safety guard. Otherwise, at a minimum, fingernail shavings will be part of the recipe. Fingertips more likely.

Knifethrower: There are several configurations. I've seen them pyromidically shaped, with three sides, for instance. And the one I bought (for my travel kit) has two sides, but collapses to lay flat.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, be very respectful of a mandoline. My son sliced the top off his thumb when I first got mine. We were out to dinner and returned home to a bloodbath in the kitchen. And then less than I week later, I did exactly the same thing to my own finger.

Lesson learnt. I hope.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
swan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the guy who stopped me at customs in Amsterdam when I got home last year from NY gave up searching through my bags after digging out one after another kitchen 'thing-y'. After the salt and pepper mills the 2nd microplane grater did the trick Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Obviously not a kitchen-guy, that one!

I LOVE my microplanes and am happy I bought them in the States (at Zabar's, yey!), they are very expensive here, around 27-30 euro EACH!!!
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And the one I bought (for my travel kit) has two sides, but collapses to lay flat.

And I thought I was the only one who packs kitchen tools on vacation! (We stay at a lot of kitchen suites or cottages.)

I've got to add both of them to my Amazon list... I have a cheapie grater for oatmeal with shaved apples on the go and it acts just like it sounds, only with a lot more wasted juice all over the place.

Just bought a mandoline, too. I'm learning how to be respectful of the blade, but I know stupidity will get me someday...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: