Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Risotto
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the less said of our on-air cooking personalities like E the better. Just checked my post and don't know where I came up with the spelling for gestures. Also, checked again the web site and noticed that he didn't make a chicken risotto, it was a chicken caserole.

Here's my simplified risotto recipe: brown rice, canned pumpkin, and tomato paste (salt, cinnamon, powdered milk, oats, corn meal, Wheatena, apple sauce, all optional).

Oh, and cook the brown rice ahead of time.
David

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok DQ, here we go!

Mushroom Risotto (from Gourmet, April 05--recipes by Maggie Ruggeiro)

Serves 4-6, active time 45 minutes, start to finish-1 hour

This recipe serves 4 as a main course after you set aside 3 cups to make the mushroom and mozzarella arancini or the mushroom risotto cakes. Otherwise it serves 6.

1 oz (28 gms) dried porcini
3 3/4 cups hot water
5 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (42 fluid oz)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons)unsalted butter
1 small onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3/4 lb fresh cremini mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 lb Arborio rice (2 1/2 cups)
2/3 cup dry white wine
1 oz finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (1/2 cup)
1 tsp salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Soak porcini in 1 1/2 cups hot water in a bowl until softened, about 20 minutes. Lift porcini out, squeezing liquid back into bowl. Rinse to remove any grit and coarsely chop. Pour soaking liquid through a sieve lined with a coffee filter or a dampened paper towel into a 3-4 quart saucepan, then add broth, soy sauce, and remaining 2 1/4 cups water to pan and bring to a simmer.

Meanwhile, heat oil with 1 tablespoon butter in a 4-5 quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then saute onion, stirring , untiljust softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and fresh mushrooms and saute, stirring, until mushrooms are browned and any liquid they give off is evaporated, about 8 minutes. Stir in porcini and cook, stirring, 1 minute, then add rice and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add wine and cook,stirring, until absorbed, about 1 minute.

Stir 1 cup simmering broth into rice and cook, stirring constantly and keeping at a strong simmer, until absorbed. Continue cooking and adding broth, about 1 cup at a time, stirring frequently and letting each addition be absorbed before adding next, until rice is tender and creamy looking but still al dente, 18 to 20 minutes. Thin with some of the remaining broth if necessary (you will have about 1 cup left over). Remove from heat. Stir in cheese, salt, pepper, and remaining 5 tablespoons butter until butter is melted. (if reserving some risotto to make one of the following recipes, set aside 3 cups and cool to room temperature, then chill, covered with plastic wrap.) Stir parsley inot remaining risotto and serve immediately. (keeps covered and chilled, 4 days)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mushroom and Mozzarella Arancini (Fried Stuffed Rice Balls)

Active time-30 minutes. Start to finish-30 minutes

(serves 4 as a light lunch or dinner)

3 cups chilled mushroom risotto
12 (1/2 inch) cubes mozzarella (about 1 oz)
1 cup all purpose flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup fine dry bread crumbs(not seasoned)
About 8 cups vegetable oil for frying

Roll chilled risotto into 12 (1 1/2 inch) balls using wet hands. Poke a small hole in centre of each ball and insert a cube of cheese, then re-form into a ball.

Put flour, eggs, and bread crumbs in 3 separate bowls. Dredge 1 risotto ball in flour, shaking off excess, Dip in egg, letting excess drip off, then dredge in bread crumbs and transfer to a sheet of wax paper. Repeat with remaining balls.

Heat 1 1/2 to 2 inches oil in a 4-5 quart heavy pot until thermometer registers 360 degrees F. (approx 185 degrees C by my calculations) Working in batches of 4, lower rice balls into oil with a slotted spoon and fry, turning occasionally until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per batch. Transfer with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Return oil to 360 degrees F between batches. Let balls stand 2 minutes (for cheese to melt)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mushroom Risotto Cakes

Serves 4 (side dish)

Active time 25 minutes, start to finish 25 minutes

3 cups chilled mushroom risotto
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups coarse fresh bread crumbs (from about 4 slices firm white sandwich bread)
6 tablespoons olive oil

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)

Form chilled risotto into 8 (3/4 inch thick) patties using wet hands. Put, flour, eggs, and bread crumbs in 3 separte shallow bowls, Coat 1 cake with flour, tapping off excess, then egg(letting excess drip off), and then bread crumbs. Transfer to wax paper. Repeat with remaining cakes.

Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a 12- inch heavy nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then saute 4 cakes, turning over once, until browned, 5-6 minutes total. Transfer with a slotted spatula to a paper-towel-lined baking pan and keep warm in oven. Heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil and saute remaining 4 cakes in same manner.

And that about says it all!
Cornette

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to try a Risotto with green asparagus and smoked salmon.

The combination of asparagus and salmon is also very nice with pasta.

Cornette
eileen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: fried risotto Reply with quote

greetings all.
new to the world of blogging, and food blogs in particular! fab! Very Happy i feel as if i've found kindred spirits.....where i can reveal my secret love of not just of the eating of risotto but the cooking of it. it just goes from looking like nothing to, little by delicate little, something special.
thanks, david, for sharing the fried risotto balls. there's also a good recipe on epicurious which calls for adding grated fontina, egg yolk, and panko (japanese bread crumbs) to risotto, forming patties; then dipping in egg & more panko.
divine.
panko seems to make these deep-fried things (including aubergine, another favorite) nice & crispy.
i never again make risotto without ensuring enough leftover to make these later in the week. mmmmmmmmmmmm.........
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David: Thanks, and thanks again, for all the work you put into that post! I'm heading over to Whole Foods after work today to pick up the items, and will be making this on Saturday. I'm really looking forward to trying BOTH recipes.

You're a class act, David.
David

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Dairy Queen. Can't wait for the jury's verdict.

Eileen, welcome to our happy little world here at C&Z. You are welcome to post in any forum, resurrect older ones and start new ones. We are all here to learn, have fun and share in delightful cyber friendships. The more the merrier!
tea leaves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Risotto.. Reply with quote

The best ingrediant! Lobster!
Dawna

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adore risotto! Like several of you here have noted, often the best risottos are fairly simple in terms of ingredients. I make a fun wild-mushroom risotto, but my favourite is a simple prawn risotto.

I start with raw prawns, and simmer them gently for a few minutes in water until they turn pink, then fish (hee!) them out and quickly peel them. Return the shells to the water and add a couple of cloves of garlic and a sprig or two of parsley, and some peppercorns. Allow to simmer for about ten minutes, strain, and you've got your cooking liquid for the risotto. I use about a cup of arborio rice, a tablespoon of tomato paste dissolved in a half-cup of white vermouth or white wine, and a couple of shallots. The prawns are choped roughly and returned to to pot in the final stages. There's no cheese in this recipe, but I finish it with a tablespoon of salted butter, and it is delicious beyond belief! The tomato paste turns it all a lovely orange colour, and adds a nice depth of flavour without a real tomato-y taste.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawna- That sounds delicious! I'm thinking it might want a bit of green to make it pretty but I guess that can be done with a sprinkle of chopped parsely and/or basil.

I'm looking forward to trying it.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love risotto, it is so easy to make and tastes just perfect. My favorite ingredients are mushrooms, truffles, lobster, TONS OF CHEESE and asparagus. I made a smoked salmon risotto with asparagus and a touch of lemon it was quite good but I like more of a risotto hug. Truffles are the ultimate in a risotto hug!

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the salmon & asparagus sounds delicious too. With a little lemon juice? YUM!
Cornette

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a few great risotto's in the latest Good Food Magazine.
One of the cooks said that risotto is "sex on a plate".

I agree.

Cornette
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Ok DQ, here we go!

Mushroom Risotto (from Gourmet, April 05--recipes by Maggie Ruggeiro)

Well, David, I have

GOOD NEWS and BAD NEWS.

The good news, is that the mushroom risotto recipe you shared turned out stellar!

The bad news, is that my partner, Sally, ate 3/4's of the recipe, (I had 1/4) and there was NONE left to make the Fried Stuffed Rice Balls! Crying or Very sad

So, I guess the fact that there was nothing left was validation enough that your recipe was fab, Darling!

Now, I'll have to secretly make the risotto, hide it, and keep it for the rice balls. What a dilemma....not!

Thanks again, David, for posting ALL versions of the recipe. It made for a fine Friday feast.
eileen

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent description, Cornette! Thanks for sharing; I'll keep that in mind the next time I make risotto. Wink
Dawna

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, I think parsley would actually go better than basil, in this particular case. I've used cilantro, on occasion, too. However, if you really want a stunning green to go with the lovely orangey risotto, roast yourself up some asparagus! It's a perfect accompaniment, and very low maintenance while you fuss with the rice... (well, I fuss with the rice, so I sort of assume that everyone does!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: