Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Coffee? Tea?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustMe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Coffee? Tea? Reply with quote

Need I say more? Do you have a favourite? Do you prefer one over the other?

I like my coffee strong: I love cafe au lait and cappucino. I can't handle espresso itself. The first sip of a fresh pot of coffee is the best.

I love tea of all kinds, especially Japanese green tea.

I drink coffee in the morning and tea any time after noon.

I visited this shop http://www.capitaltea.com/ several years ago and the clerk allowed us to smell the open bags of tea....well, needless to say I bought several kinds...they all smelled sooooo good.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ambi-tasterous, regarding coffee and tea.

I was the opening manager for a Starbucks store the first 6 years of my landscape company, using the money to bankroll my business. Before Starbucks, I never had a cup of coffee that I enjoyed. Coming from the country and poor folks, Folger's and Sanka were the only coffees that I ever tasted and it put me right off the stuff. I loved the smell of coffee, but the smell never matched the taste.

Again, this was prior to Starbucks. Now, I own 4 different French presses (different quantities, from personal to an 8 cup); an espresso machine, a regular drip machine and a vintage Perk coffee pot, with the little glass knob that the coffee perks up inside of. I collect creamers and sugars from the 20's-40's, so each time I set a table with my coffee pot, I use a different set. It adds fun to the experience.

Regarding tea: HATED LIPTON'S WITH A HOLY PASSION! So, I'd only drink herbal teas, but burnt out on those during Uni. I grudgingly drank tea when served to me, but never bought it. That is until Sally. When we were dating, she sent me for part of my birthday gift, a box of SCOTTISH BLEND tea. She said, "You always must have tea with Birthday Cake!" From the very first bag, I was hooked, and I've never looked back! Now, if I don't have at least three cups of Scottish Blend per day, it's NOT a good day! We have U.K. friends send it to us, as it's not sold Stateside, and when Sally and I travel, the first thing we pack is the TEA....I'm very serious! As Sally says, "When the British conquered the World, they first planted a flag, hailed the Queen, and then made a pot of tea."

I think she's on to something!

Coffee caffeine has a pronounced effect on me, so I can only drink coffee before noon; never after that. But Scottish Blend, I can have it 20 minutes before bedtime and it never affects my sleep.

I guess I'm a Switch-Hitter in Coffee/Tea World.
David

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a coffee guy. Good quality freshly brewed and strong and black. Two cups in the morning, one at three in the avo. I'm fortunate to have a "fair trade" coffee shop just two doors down from me at work.

I do like tea and will order it on occasion but find nothing I make matches the flavours I get when having tea in a "tea" house.

Coffee I can make, but tea I leave to the experts!
Tammy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do we love irony? I'm sitting here, reading the forums, on my COFFEE BREAK!!!

I'm definitely a Tim Horton's gal, can't get enough of the stuff. We buy it in the supermarket and make it at home but it never tastes as good as the stuff you get right from the doughnut shop itself. I think it has something to do with the rumoured fact that Tim's uses 35% cream but I can't bring myself to use that at home. And if it is true, I, along with my arteries, will just continue to look the other way.

I have a fair trade coffee shop that I absolutley adore in the neighbourhood but I'm not able to get to it too often anymore. I used to visit just about everyday when I worked the night shift but they close early in the evenings. By that time I've fulfilled my caffeine quotient for the day.
Sarape

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dairy_Queen wrote:
Now, I own 4 different French presses (different quantities, from personal to an 8 cup); an espresso machine, a regular drip machine and a vintage Perk coffee pot, with the little glass knob that the coffee perks up inside of. I collect creamers and sugars from the 20's-40's, so each time I set a table with my coffee pot, I use a different set. It adds fun to the experience.

I'm beginning to see A Little Dairy_Queen Goes a Long Way!. Smile You must either overwhelm people and win their hearts or overwhelm them and win their hatred. Can see this to be the case.

I also use an electric perk type with the glass bulb on top. I can't figure out how it knows to stop brewing. The heating element is in the bottom, the water boils and climbs the center tube and hits the cool glass bulb, cools and drops down onto the perforated plate covering the fresh coffee grinds. And the water then filters through the grinds and exits the bottom of the tub and the brewed coffee mixes with the fresh water. To me, it is a closed, continuous cycle. Yet, every morning, the little light at the bottom comes on and the perking stops and I know the coffee is ready. Confused Shocked

I brew a whole pot each morning but mix it half decalf and half regular. I like Starbucks brand but can live on anything.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarape wrote:
I'm beginning to see A Little Dairy_Queen Goes a Long Way!. Smile You must either overwhelm people and win their hearts or overwhelm them and win their hatred. Can see this to be the case.

Oh, so true, Sarape! As Rodney Dangerfield would have said, "HEY! I resemble that remark!" But, I'd rather 'overwhelm' someone than 'under-whelm' them and since I continue to get invited out to things, I guess the type of people that I attract like the 'overwhelm' bit of me. And just to let you know, I don't haul out ALL four French Presses and my creamers at once...well...hardly ever.

Sarape wrote:
I also use an electric perk type with the glass bulb on top. I can't figure out how it knows to stop brewing. The heating element is in the bottom, the water boils and climbs the center tube and hits the cool glass bulb, cools and drops down onto the perforated plate covering the fresh coffee grinds. And the water then filters through the grinds and exits the bottom of the tub and the brewed coffee mixes with the fresh water. To me, it is a closed, continuous cycle. Yet, every morning, the little light at the bottom comes on and the perking stops and I know the coffee is ready. Confused Shocked

I brew a whole pot each morning but mix it half decalf and half regular. I like Starbucks brand but can live on anything.

I love the colorful mood that you've been in lately; very fun to read your posts.

What website did you go to to find your stove? There's numerous places in Chicago that sell old stoves by default; same in Michigan, but they are all missing parts and they don't guarantee that they work.

Huh. So, let me get this straight:
A=Stove + B=$$$$ divided by C=Non-functioning, totaling D=DUD!? I guess I'm supposed to store cunning quilts and things in them.
JustMe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tammy wrote:
I'm definitely a Tim Horton's gal, can't get enough of the stuff. We buy it in the supermarket and make it at home but it never tastes as good as the stuff you get right from the doughnut shop itself.

The question is: do you have a Timmy's coffee maker? I have one & it does brew a good cup of coffee. (It's like a Bunn coffeemaker with a water resevoir at the back so as soon as you pour the water in...presto! coffee! I often will buy TH coffee to use in that but I also like the Second Cup's heuheutenango (spelling isn't even close.) I think Timmy's makes the best regular cup of coffee....but their capuccinos are just fancy hot chocolates. I like a good capuccino made with real espresso.

I also have a French press that I use and like...best with that fresh ground heuheutenango coffee....totally depends on my mood....usually a Saturday or Sunday treat.

I think we should all meet at Dairy_Queen's for coffee and creamers & sugars. Laughing
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love coffee. Not just for the caffeine buzz, but the first sip from a fresh pot, the smell of a freshly opened bag of beans, the ritual of grinding beans & making it (strong) in my coffee press, and pouring hot milk and coffee at the same time for a perfect cafe au lait can lift my spirits enormously.

My mother collected demitasse, and from the time I was a preschooler, we often had a cup of strong, black coffee in the evening after dinner. I had horrid asthma as a child, and coffee was a help. The buzz from caffeine was easier to deal with than the treatments available at the time, so she fed me coffee.

I also love Irish Breakfast tea, with its stong tannins. My former employer always knew what treat to bring me from his antique-buying trips to the UK -- tea!

As a true US "southerner", I love both beverages iced -- when they are prepared strongly enough that they aren't too diluted by the ice. Iced coffee can be wonderful or dreadful. The worst I've had was regular strength coffee, hot, poured over a glassful of ice cubes. Yuck! I make it very strong, let it cool a tad, then pour over ice.

I once had a "toddy" coffee maker, which cold-brewed a liquid coffee concentrate that was less acidic than other brewing methods and perfect for iced drinks. Haven't seen one of those in years, and the carafe of mine broke long ago.
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both coffee and tea. I drink a whole lot more tea -- hot and iced (withOUT sugar, please!).

We used to have a coffee maker that made sensational coffee -- at least as good as a Starbuck's latte. It was an Oster that brewed into a carafe (and this was probably close to 15 years ago). Alas! They discontinued that model and I've never had a coffee maker (automated or French press) that made as smooth and full-flavored a cup since.

So now I drink an occasional Starbuck's or Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (don't know how widely known that one is) 'cause I'd rather do without than be disappointed.

For tea I like whole leaves. CB&TL is the best local source that I'm aware of. They have a rolled Jasmine Pearl that is excellent. CB&TL also provides tea and coffee filters with what they sell. So I can put whole leaf teas in filter bags and have the convenience and clarity of tea bags without the broken salvaged bits. I've found that I can fill a bunch and iron the opening shut so I can also have the convenience of just grabbing one.

JustMe, I hear what you're saying about a proper tea shop. There was one not too far from me when I lived on the North Shore in Vancouver. Between herbals and estate grown teas, they must have had 100 varieties. And they patiently opened tin after tin to let you have a good whiff. They also had the most innovative and distictive collection of cups and pots.

Tammy, have you ever tried a Timothy's? I can't say I'm crazy about Tim Horton coffee (tho I've made a trip or two to TH for TimBits...). I hear the coffee at Timothy's is better. There was one near my husband's apartment downtown but it was too close to a really excellent coffee house called Artisiano's to be tempting.

Artisiano does the bit with the graphic "pours". Does anyone else have a coffee house where they do that? It's amusing to have a picture staring at you when you take the first sip. And you have to admire the baristas that can whip those suckers out when the line of early morning caffein addicts is awaitin'! Wink Aside from the gimic, they make really yummy coffee as well.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JustMe"]
Tammy wrote:
I'm definitely a Tim Horton's gal, can't get enough of the stuff. We buy it in the supermarket and make it at home but it never tastes as good as the stuff you get right from the doughnut shop itself.

Okay, for those of us NOT in Canada, what is Tim Horton's? It sounds like a place I'd enjoy! Please educate those of us not in that coffee loop.

JustMe wrote:
I also have a French press that I use and like...best with that fresh ground heuheutenango coffee....totally depends on my mood....usually a Saturday or Sunday treat.

I think we should all meet at Dairy_Queen's for coffee and creamers & sugars. Laughing

Just tell me the date, JustMe, and I'll have the sterling polished, the creamer and sugars ready and everyone can pick their own coffee mug to suit their personality!

French Press on the weekends...that's my treat to myself, too. Now, to make it even MORE decadent, I scoop a small amount of Breyer's Vanilla Bean ice cream my mug.... It may sound silly, but a great friend of mine served this to me over 10 years ago, and thanks to Jeff, I've been drinking my weekend coffee this way for a decade! God, it's good.

brighidsdaughter wrote:
I also love Irish Breakfast tea, with its stong tannins. My former employer always knew what treat to bring me from his antique-buying trips to the UK -- tea!

Is that why their tea tastes so good? I've never found a U.S. tea to rival British; I would have been at the Boston Tea Party, salvaging what was thrown overboard!

And...unless I've missed it in an above post: Why haven't I heard about "Sweet Tea" from you Southerners???!!! My Southern friends (Texas and Alabama) all swear by their Sweet Tea and wouldn't drink anything else!

Rainey: I LOVED being a barista! We'd fight for the spot at my Starbuck's; if you're a ham and artistic, it was your stage. I happened upon a Barista challenge on the Food Network this weekend, where they were being judged on their artistic pours. Facinating stuff!
fannie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: tea and coffee, anyone for scones? Reply with quote

There is a fantastic coffee roaster in Philadelphia called La Colombe. It was started by *gasp* a French man and his friend who used to work at Starbucks. They have 2 small coffee spots in Philly and sell their beans all over the city to some of the nicest restaurants in NY and Philly. Their Corsica blend is to die for (I have my mother send me the beans to France, how much I love this coffee!). The baristas always make the graphics --hearts, leaves, trees, with the milk and espresso foam.

Peet's Coffee from California also makes a great cup. I like the Major Dickason blend --one of their signatures.

The beauty of the internet is that companies now ship world-wide!

As for tea--no one can deny the power of Mariage Frères! Does anyone have a favorite?

I love Oriental--a mix of jasmin and mandarin perfumed black teas and Nil Rouge a flowery mixture of spices from the Orient and citrus fruits!

-Stefanie
Tammy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the unititated non-Canadians in the forum, Tim Horton's is a line of doughnut shops. Tim Horton himself used to be a hockey player and post-playing he started up this chain of shops. I guess it started out rather small but in the last I don't know how long, it's exploded into a Canadian cultural phenomenon. Their recent advertising campaign will attest. One commerical was about a kid doing the traditional post-high school backpack through Europe and instead of a Canadian flag he had his Tim Horton travel mug hanging off his sack. Everywhere he went, fellow Canadians recognized him and he made all kinds of new friends! Can we say, "Ahhh!"

Their coffee is just your basic regular coffee, nothing fancy at all. We've got all kinds of fancy-schmancy shops but if you drink coffee everyday, you can't beat the price. It's a helluva lot cheaper than Starbucks (which I hate), Second Cup, Timothy's (I do like their coffee as well but again it's a price thing), Lettieri and any of the other high-end shops.

I've never had their "specialty" coffees...never seemed like a good idea to me. If I want a latte or cappucino I'll go elsewhere.
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard of this Timmy's coffee maker. My old electric pot works fine, but I'm always curious about tried-and-tested cooking items. So if anyone has a good, inexpensive (say less than $100), time-tested maker or brand, please let us know.

Sweet Tea: We get it down here at work for catered meals and everyone drinks it down. I'll go for the unsweetened version. Not thrilled with it, however. Guess, since I'm not a native to the South, it doesn't have so much appeal.
JustMe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To elaborate on Tammy's story: the Tim Horton's chain started in the late 60's and when Tim Horton was killed in a car crash (in the early 70's I believe) his partner took over the chain and built up this huge chain. In 1990 there were 500 stores in Canada; they doubled by 1995 and then doubled again by 2000 (to 2000 stores in 2000). Their goal then was 3000 for 2005...not sure if they made it (no longer have my inside track). There are several states (NY, Maine) that do have have Tim stores, but they haven't taken hold like they have here. In & around 1995 the chain was bought out by Wendy's (yes...that's Wendy's) but they have remained staunchly Canadian.

Anyhow...to make a long story short there's one on every street corner. The price of an extra large cup of coffee is $1.50 & you can buy coffee and a toasted bagel for breakfast for less than the price of one cup of latte at Starbuck's. To me their coffee is consistent, but when I want a REAL coffee I go to a specialty shop.

fannie: do you think la colombe has a website? of course sometimes there are issues with shipping food across the border.
JustMe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: tea and coffee, anyone for scones? Reply with quote

fannie wrote:
There is a fantastic coffee roaster in Philadelphia called La Colombe. It was started by *gasp* a French man and his friend who used to work at Starbucks. They have 2 small coffee spots in Philly and sell their beans all over the city to some of the nicest restaurants in NY and Philly. Their Corsica blend is to die for (I have my mother send me the beans to France, how much I love this coffee!).

I found the site! http://www.lacolombe.com/business.html Unfortunately they don't deliver to Canada but I may try and get an American friend to send me some.

Sarape: the "Timmy's" coffee maker is a home version of a commercial coffeemaker (put out by Tim Horton's...see previous posts) It has a resevoir of water in the back so when you pour in the water the coffee is actually being made by the already hot water in the resevoir. It has a basket type filter. I once bought an electric coffee maker but could never make a decent cup of coffee in it, no matter what kind of coffee or grind I bought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: