Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Wholegrains in London?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emilyj

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Wholegrains in London? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I hope that some of you past and present Londoners might be able to help me out. You see, I moved here a couple of months ago and I've pretty much figured out my food haunts with one glaring problem... I cannot find a shop that sells wholegrains. The "health food" stores here seem to only sell packaged vitamins/protein shakes etc. and their only grains and seeds are in pre-packaged bags. In Australia I shopped at a lovely store that sold all sorts of exotic grains and seeds in big tubs which I just scooped into a bag and away I went. For some reason I cannot find a similar type of store here. I'm sure that London must have one, I can find absolutely everything else I need. Any suggestions would be more than welcome!
Rachel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to London (if I'm qualified to say that from across the pond... I still can't bring myself to change my profile)! What part of town are you in? If you let me know, I'll be able to help.
swan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you have been there already - but I thought perhaps Wholefoods ? (or is it just dried fruits, rice and nuts they have in the cellar in those see-through and help yourself-tubes?)
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in London Emily? How exciting! Are you working or holidaying ... or both?

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
emilyj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. I vaguely remembered someone saying that there was a wholefoods in London and wrote it off as an urban food myth and forgot all about it. Thank you for pointing that out, Swan I will google it immediately. To be honest I am a bit hopeless when it comes to exploring, I'm ashamed to say I looked up from my book out the bus window the other day and realised there was Buckingham Palace!

Thank you Rachel, I am in student housing close to Kings Cross and Angel Islington but I can get anywhere central quite easily. Your insider knowledge would be much appreciated Smile All of my housemates are new to london and only a few of them cook so I am without advice on this sort of thing. Are there any markets that you would recommend? I am planning to go to Borough Market this weekend but if you have any tips, I am all ears!

Judy, yes I am doing a MA here at the (rather quaintly named) School of Oriental and African Studies.
Rachel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whole Foods in London is definitely not an urban myth! It's in Kensington High Street (about 5 minutes' walk from High St Ken tube and on the 9 and 10 bus routes) and, although I dislike its gigantism, which feels more out of place in the UK than it does in the US, it definitely has what you're looking for. Fresh & Wild (which was unfortunately taken over by Whole Foods recently) is also worth a look - there are shops all over town - and so is Planet Organic (there's a branch in Torrington Place, at the Tottenham Court Road end).

If you're at SOAS, you probably already know about Alara Wholefoods in Marchmont Street - I'm afraid everything there is prepackaged but they do have a good selection. And Exmouth Market (off of Rosebery Avenue) is worth checking out on a Friday or Saturday; I seem to remember there is (or at least, there was) a grains-and-seeds stall. Don't remember anything at Borough Market but don't let that stop you going, it's gourmand paradise...

All right, I'm going to stop before I get too nostalgic!
emilyj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Rachel, I went to the Fresh and Wild at Camden today and it had a pretty good selection of seeds and grains (pre-packaged but it doesn't really matter that much) splashed out on a few interesting looking items- will have to take a look at the one on Kensington High St as well because it sounds much bigger.
I will definitely have to try the market near Rosebery ave. It is right around the corner from me and I didn't know about the wholegrain shop on Marchmont St. which is a bit embarrassing as I walk past that street every day to get to school (I did say I was hopeless at exploring). So much to try!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: