Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

the USA elections
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

varnadore wrote:
took my preschoolers over to the main building to see voting. It was very moving, the librarian took pictures of us.All the grown ups, voters, teachers, poll workers, I think were really moved to see the kids, being very quiet and serious...

In the 1999 Israeli elections, I was working in a preschool/kindergarten, and we took the kids on a field trip to see us vote and had small groups of them go into the booth. They loved it, and were very interested in the process and the outcome.

BTW, we may be getting a woman PM in our next election (February 10)!

madameshawshank wrote:
"When Obama was a kid, he would have had to ride the back of the bus in a lot of this country."

I'm not sure this is true. Obama was born in the 1960s; I don't think he would have experienced that type of overt discrimination anywhere except maybe in the deep south. Of course, more subtle forms of racism exist to this day, and not just in the US. Sadly, so do other forms of discrimination, such as sexism and homophobia (the latter can be seen in some of the ballot measures that passed in various US states yesterday).
dory

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very happy and excited. I voted three weeks early and waited 45 minutes to do so. I have been unable to buy a newspaper locally. People are so excited they are all sold out. I am happy and proud to be a white American, because things have changed so much in my lifetime. This election could never have happened when I was a child. I feel people of my ethnic background have really grown up a lot over the few decades, and many people are now able to look past race in making their decisions. This does not mean that racism has ended in the U.S., but things are definitely looking up. Of course African Americans are also proud, and rightly so, because it is their struggle that has brought this change about. I think that for the U.S. having an African American president will heal a lot of wounds in addition to other good things that might happen with a new administration. THe past 8 years have been a hard time for me, as they have been for many Americans. I have felt shamed internationally by some of the U.S. policies, and want to restore the decency of my country. I am hoping for a new beginning.

Dory
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will my goosebumps stop Wink This morning my brother rang and we talked and talked...yesterday..glued to the television plus trips to liveblogs...McCain's gracious speech...'n waiting for President-elect Obama to walk out...

I simply can't get enough of it...David Axelrod ...ahhhhhhhhh! what a feeling to be a USA election junkie..rather like Greg eh Judy...

Twice today people have spoken to me of those who would find this result almost impossible to bear...hatred etc that's out there.....I suggested they imagine angered folk at the beach...building sandcastles..

To each and every resident of The United States of America I send my warmest of wishes and hope for the daysmonthsyears to come...

May all those in the new administration be vigorous and reflective and buoyed by our collective hope.

WHAT A DAY!!!'n how about that..a new puppy in The White House...a family...all good wishes to the world methinks...the idea of hugging the world...Earth hug...
La Niña del pimiento

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a first time voter as I was not quite 18 in the 2004 election and this has been the most amazing time in my life. I have never seen so much interest nor had so much interest in politics in my life. When I studied abroad in Spain, I avoided telling people that I was an American as many would immediately go off about politics ( I myself did and do not support Bush policies). I generally said that I was New Mexican. However, this movement towards once again trying to reconcile American ideals and institutions is exciting and I'm looking forward to an Obama administration not only healing divides within our own country but also our alliances abroad. I have been tearing up all day. It is just incredible! My grandfather raised me to believe that politicians should work for the people and listen to them, I am only disheartened that he did not live to see Obama become president but I know he is looking down on us with pride.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

La Niña del pimiento, I have an idea that your beloved grandfather knows only full well what has happened! Can you imagine his smile...beaming!

By and large I'm not a big flag gal...oh I get a bit Aussie Aussie Aussie at times..however sometimes a flag can be a trigger for goodness knows what...

Last night..watching that crowd in Grant Park..those faces those flags..it all felt rather new..and crisp..and hopeful...

While I realise that Barack Obama will be faced with many a difficult decision, I have a sense of confidence in him...'n those he will choose to assist him..

After we watched his speech, as a family we sat and watched 4 episodes of 'The West Wing'!

At the moment I feel that 'when too much politics is never enough'..

An American professor of politics was interviewed on Oz television last night...he could hardly contain his joy...

Each day a beginning...

I bet he's aware AND smiling in that wondrous place of beyond beyond...
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From going in the door when my polling place opened, it took me about 15 minutes. I was heartened to see 3 people with their school-age children, explaining the ballots (all paper in my county) & the voting process.

The possibilities in this election made me feel more strongly than any other pres. race since I became eligible to vote in the mid '70's. I became almost obsessed with verifiable info-gathering because I think it's important to be informed on candidates' past records & platform points.

The past 2 elections left me incredibly disheartened & embarrassed about the world's view of my country. Now I hope that the US can begin to heal both internally and in her relationships with the rest of the world. It will take a long time, but the problems we face didn't happen overnight.

I was not prepared for my totally over-the-top happy tears when the result was called & continued through McCain's gracious concession & Obama's acceptance speeches. When I pulled myself together, I celebrated with cake & champagne & drank a toast to hope.
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

am joining in the raising of glass to hope!

saw Ms Rice and Mr Colin Powell talking...both close to tears methinks...

perhaps Rahm Emanuel will be White House chief of staff...the Josh Lyman character in the oh so wondrous 'The West Wing' was inspired by Emanuel...

art life fiction fact sometimes fact sometimes fiction
all of the above Wink
melinda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am especially proud of my state Virginia for turning blue.......and now I am exhausted......such a long election process.....now that we r all political jinkies, will we watch the governing part with as much interest??? I think, like Chris Matthews said, that more people will be interested in working for this administration.....more will want to be involved in gov't again.......and we can hold our heads high abroad again (after such a long time of being embarrased)
melinda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that shoukd read "junkies"....of course....I said i was tired !
David

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda like "jinkies"!! Congratulations to my dear neighbours for restoring my faith in the will of the people.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinkies Batman! I didn't even notice.

Now comes the hard part. We need to be as watchful and vocal with our new president as we have become with the current one, so as not to slip back towards apathy.

An exciting time. . . an exciting time.

"It's hot ham water."
vickyc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you Donna--after 8 years of embarrassment I can finally smile and say that I'm from the U.S.! It feels wonderful to have hope and faith that whatever lies ahead, we have an intelligent, enlightened, level-headed humanitarian in the White House to move us forward. I had been losing faith in people to come together for change...this election showed the world what we can do when we are united!

I look forward to having a president who will change the face of America in the world. Did you see the celebrations all over the world when it was announced that he won? How amazing to know that the support of the world is with us in our journey ahead!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could hear the cheering in downtown (a mile away) in my apartment, prompting me to go outside and add my voice to the chorus. When I walked my dog at six in the morning people were just beginnning to dance their way home.

Has America seen a reaction like this since V-E Day?

"It's hot ham water."
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gee gang..this gal in far off Oz is going all goosebumby reading your posts!
dory

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a heavy sense of responsibility since the U.S. has so much potential to do harmful things in the rest of the world. I have close connections all over the world, and I have been aware of how terrible the current administration looks to the rest of the world, as well as how much damage it has done internally. That said, Obama is already making appointments I am not thrilled with. However, better than what we have.

Dory
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: