Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Homemade cleaning supplies
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Homemade cleaning supplies Reply with quote

Do you know of a simple way to clean plastic containers that have been stained (by tomato sauce for instance)? I remember reading about one that involved baking soda, I think. Does it ring a bell with anyone?

And do you have any other homemade cleaning recipe to share?

Thanks!
monkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tomato stain controversy continues! i have heard many solutions for the problem. some say that leaving the container (or table cloth) out in the sun for a few hours will fade the stain away. others say wash the container with detergent and cold water then hot water.

my solution... laundry bleach. apparently, lycopene, the stuff that gives tomatoes their succulent red color (and is touted for it's healthful properties) develops some tenacious molecular bonds when it comes to it's attraction to plastic. this chemical ties of this dysfunctional relationship can only be severed with a little dip in chlorine bleach. unfortunately, neither plastic wear or tomatoes learn their lesson. despite intensive counseling or prolonged separation, when given half a chance, lycopene will always come crawling back to those plastic molecules and hang on for dear life. separation, long term hydro-chlorine therapy or acceptance of the deep love between lycopene and plastic are the only viable courses of action for this relationship.

monkey

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows can be cleaned with white vinegar and water. Porceline can be cleaned with cola, (wonder what it does to your body). Wine and blueberry stains on counters can be cleaned with a baking soda paste left on for a while, sometimes a few days.

If you don't want to make your own you should try Method. I have been way into their products lately. They are all non-toxic, biodegradable, naturally derived, and not tested on animals. Plus they smell really nice. Check out methodhome.com.

"It's hot ham water."
Albacore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of my household cleaning is accomplished with either baking soda or vinegar. There is nothing like vinegar for getting rid of the mineral spots and build-up from hard water. It's a great rinse aid when cleaning crystal, too - no spots! I keep a spray bottle with a 50/50 vinegar/water solution and use it on windows and mirrors, bathroom faucets, etc.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin

A friend of mine had a very interesting experience with cola. He was sitting in his car and a truck lost its load of cola bottles, many of which broke onto the car. The truck driver rushed out of his truck and told my friend to get his car washed ASAP because the cola would strip the paint off the car!

MY Dad is an industrial chemist and he says the worst colas for rotting teeth and doing other damages are the 2 most popular brands in the world (we all know what they are, I'm sure). 'No-frills' brands are ok as they don't contain the phosphoric acid like the 2 popular ones. Maybe that's why so many people drink them
Erin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy,

That must be why it keeps my tub so white! It is hard to believe that people actually put that in their bodies.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, must try the cola on the bathtub and sinks!!

I agree about windows and water with vinegar. We have 5 dogs and a big sunroom with windows to the ground. You can imagine what the glass looks like at miniature shnauzer level, not the most appetizing. While Windex and like products are just ducky for mirrors and light dirt only vinegar and water applied and rubbed by newspaper makes short work of the doggy snot.
Erin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

With five dogs do you have any tricks for keeping the dog hair down? I have a half blue heeler, half german wire-haired pointer and he sheds like mad! I swear I am always dusting and sweeping! Oh and trying to get it off the white couch, not fun.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erin,

My answer to keeping the dog hair down is to own miniature schnauzers Very Happy They are allegedly hypo-allergenic and shed very little. The downside to that of course is that they have to be taken for a beauty treatment every 3 or 4 months! I know the problems with dog hair, prior to the current mob we had a lovely lab retriever and a pitbull/shepherd mix both of whom shed 24/7, 365/365!. My best suggestion is don't worry about and don't entertain Surprised
Erin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
That is not an option, I am like Martha without the evil. I had a party here a few days ago, that to my hopefully stayed free of dog hair. Of course that required a week of constant deep cleaning, banning the dog from the kitchen and putting him out during the party. I have never had a shedding dog before, and it is freaking me out. Despite all of that, he is 55lbs of adorable.

"It's hot ham water."
monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

being small and terrycloth, i, personally, stay away from most dogs (they tend to mistake me for a chew toy), but, i had a friend who had a very fuzzy chow who used to love being hoovered on a regular basis - daily i believe. there was never any dog hair in the house and the dog was supernaturally fluffy.

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
David

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Monkey, terrycloth is just so cuddly, but you are right, best to steer clear of the doggies. I was going to suggest to Erin though, that while hoovering one's own dog might not be best for person/dog relationships, perhaps Erin could take her pooch to a groomer a few days in advance of an event and have the dog groomed and blown out to get the undercoat cleared out. Then just one more run around of the house with the vacuum and she should be set for the party. Actually Erin, we do entertain, though not nearly to the marthaesqe level.....and I just warned people not to wear black.
Erin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey and David,

That is too funny, I will have to try to hoover my dog. I should just take him to the groomer, but it is really embarassing to do so. Barney is kind of a mama's boy and last time I could hear him whining from the parking lot. I ended up tipping the guy double. Thanks for the laugh.

"It's hot ham water."
melinda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: dog hair Reply with quote

Erin re excess dog hair.......I have had a lot of welsh corgis and their undercoat is very thick & always coming out by the clump....I finally hit on something called a "shedding blade" which is like something used on a horse i think....anyway, it pulls out the undercoat better than anything else......u have to do it almost daily for a bit ...but it keeps the tumbleweeds down in the house....but now I have a "semi poo" or "faux poo" a cross between a poodle & something, perhaps a schnauzer (so might be a "schnoodle") and he doesn't shed so it's bliss
melinda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: stained plastic Reply with quote

If u catch pretty early on you can soak plastic containers in just plain COLD water with some detergent & it will remove odors as well as stains......may take additional soakings but works pretty well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: