Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Homemade cleaning supplies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbie

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good afternoon!

Thank you for the link to the article. It was interesting to read the cost comparison. If you grow your own lemons you would probably find the cost worked out better for you. They are just so expensive to buy. I do find that the cheapest nastiest white vinegar is best for cleaning purposes. If it is in a bulk buy container it is usually even cheaper. If you shudder at the thought of using it in cooking then it will be perfect for cleaning.

Even though the cost can be more expensive, I still think it is more healthy for us and our furfriends (miniature schnauzer or other types) to use non chemical cleaners.

David, I love hearing about other peoples furbabies. I miss my cat dreadfully and have been adopting the strays that come to visit. Paris is one of those places where dogs abound, and I walk along saying bonjour to the owners and the dogs and having a little pat and cuddle when I can. Cannot wait till we can get another furbaby.

Elemenoh, I also signed up while I was there. It will be something else to look forward to reading every morning. Thank you!

Have a nice day
David

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Debbie, the count keeps rising We now have 4 miniature schnauzers, a border collie and a Llasa Apso cross. I took 5 of them to the groomers yesterday--always an experience. the only thing I don't like about holidays is being away from my little buddies. And the vinegar and water and newspaper worked wonders once again in getting the snot off the windows this spring!
elemenoh

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Even though the cost can be more expensive, I still think it is more healthy for us and our furfriends (miniature schnauzer or other types) to use non chemical cleaners.

I agree entirely - the cost of a lemon is certainly outweighed by the benefits to the environment, both in your home and globally. (Not to mention that a prowling toddler or puppy who gets into a stash of lemons and baking soda is in far less trouble than one who gets into chemical cleaners.)

We have a sliding glass door from our living room that the dog loves to sit in front of, so I feel you on the dog snot, David. We found a decorative metal grate-type thing (sounds ugly, but I promise it's not), that attaches to the door, which has turned out to be a pretty good preventative solution for window-slobber. Keeps the pup from trying to run through the glass when we can't get the door open fast enough for her, as well. Razz

What are your dog's names? How old are they?
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This time of year my house takes on a bit of a funk from the humidity. So for the summer months I wage war against smell. I have come up with a new plan of attack this year. Lavender oil and water, it's anti-septic, smells fresh and helps keep our allergies down. What more could you want?

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what exactly do you do with it Erin? I'm envisioning little pots of water with drops of lavender oil scattered around the house, or is it something a bit more complicated? Do you wipe stuff down with it? Living in a 160 year old house I contend with odours regularly (albeit some of course eminate from four legged creatures with poor hygiene habits).
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
Well, I cleaned the walls and floors with a water and oil combo, but I got a little more fancy with the carpet. I took a small plastic bag and filled it half way with baking soda, then added 10 drops of lavender and shook it up. I had to kind of agitate it to break up the tiny little clumps, but I ended up with a nice fine texture. Then I applied waited a half an hour and ran the vaccume over it. My house currently smells great! I'll let you know if it lasts a good amount of time or just seems to have covered it up.

"It's hot ham water."
gingerpale

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

food container

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin- It looks like I'm coming late to this discussion but have you ever tried putting out little packets of something that would soak up the dampness before it soaked into fabrics? Kitty litter comes to mind and you can actually buy mesh bags of it at Bed, Bath & Beyond for quite a lot of $$ (for large chunks of kitty litter). You could simply put some in saucers in inconspicuous places like up or back on bookshelves.

There's a word for the property of attracting water. If I could remember it I'd do a Google search to see what else might be even more efficient. Is it "desiccant"? [Yes and also hygroscopic] And another word for things that give up their water readily. [Didn't find that one.]

OK: kitty litter, borax, cornmeal and uncooked rice are household desiccants. Silica gel is a highly effective one used for drying flowers that you could probably get at a craft store. And there is also something called activated alumina that maybe your husband would have some access to through the Coast Guard. Both the silica gel and activated alumina continue to feel dry even though they are highly effective and can take up a lot of water from the air. Their performance is improved if you periodically "dry" them out in a 300 degree oven. (Sez the article on keeping your Florida homes dry when closed up over the summer.)
elizabeth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Animal Hair Reply with quote

Erin and David,
I am going crazy this time of year when Saffron and Basil (my heavenly cats) are shedding like mad. I just discovered a great trick for controlling the hair: rubber kitchen gloves!
Put on a pair of rubber kitchen gloves and get them a bit damp, use them to wipe the apohlstry on furniture your pets like, the fur clumps up and comes right off. Also, I take my cats out on the deck and do the same thing to them, they purr like crazy and I get loads of fur off them while their outside.
-Elizabeth
David

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elizabeth, thanks for the tip! I live in a world of 24/7 shedding what with the border collie, the schnauzers are less problematic. I like the rubber glove idea.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reviving this thread because the need to clean and protect the planet goes on and on and on. And I'm watching a PBS fund-raiser where they're pimping a household hints book. Several cleaning solutions sound like they're worth giving a try.

Soft Scrub

• 1 part baking soda
• 1 part borax

Combine and put in a jar with a shaker top. The baking soda will provide a gentle, non-scratching abrasive while the borax will cut grease and shine.

Household Cleaner

• ¾ cup water
• 1 tablespoon ammonia
• 1 teaspoon water softener
• 1 teaspoon white vinegar

Mix ingredients and put in a spray bottle.

Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner

• ½ teaspoon ammonia
• 1 teaspoon white vinegar
• 3 tablespoon liquid dish soap
• ¾ cup water

Mix ingredients in a well-ventilated area and put in a foaming container (available at pharmacies) or beat to an airy foam with a whisk.

Apply foam to surface of carpet or upholstery and lightly scrub with sponge. Wipe away with a clean sponge.

Silver Cleaner

• 1 quart very hot water
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 1 teaspoon water softener

Dissolve salt and water softener in hot water. Place a piece of aluminum foil in the bottom of a container. Pour in hot water mixture. OR pour mixture into a disposable foil baking pan. Place silver (without stones) in contact with aluminum, moving it, if necessary, to expose all surfaces.

Immediately rinse silver in clear water and dry.

Source: Haley's Hints
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey-on-the-spot! (bad pun) --I've just made a big mess in the kitchen and here you are with help!
I was driven away from store-bought cleaners by the prices, as well as the poisons. White vinegar is cheap and effective. Lemon juice in a little water is the only way I can wipe that horrid smell out of the microwave.
There is a book, popular a few years ago, excellent, (you are probably familiar because you seem to know all)--it's called "Home Comforts" by Cheryl Mendelson. I've been using her window cleaner: 45% water, 45% rubbing alcohol, 10% household ammonia. (Exact measurements not important.)

The book is sub-titled "The Art and Science of Keeping House"---it's a pretty exhaustive reference. Just reading it makes me think the house is ready for company. (Hah! No kids, no job, no responsibilities, and I STILL can't keep the floor vacuumed!!)

My favorite hint from the book--bedsheets with a cotton thread count higher than 250 causes you to lose crispness in the sheets. Those $$$$ sheets with 800 thread count are drapey and silky,-- but sweaty, I think!

Actually I've learned quite a bit from the book.

Last edited by gingerpale on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
queenla

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: oranges Reply with quote

I can't believe that everyone doesn't use oranges!
I noticed lemon but oranges are simply the best for cleaning.
After squeezing them for juice- I never buy processed orange juice- I take a half and wipe down the tables with it. It cuts through everything. then I'll just wipe with a damp cloth. For a while I made my own orange spray- just a clump of orange in water, but it went off- mind you it still worked- it just didn't smell great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: