Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

JANUARY '09 DISCUSSION: Food/Cooking Resolutions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: 2009 Resolutions Reply with quote

My resolutions are two.

First I will expand my evening meal repertoire. I have enough recipes to make something different every meal for the rest of my life yet leave work tired, harried, and devoid of imagination so use only a couple dozen of them.

I will do this by better use of fresh seasonal items to add variety and by learning to use sauces and reductions.

Second, I want to develop a list of 12 "can't miss" seasonal soup recipes. I've got five now that I'm good at and always turn out but want a different one for each month.

The one I really looking for is a cream of tomato with dried herbs like the one I was served at a Lenten Church Supper. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.

Good luck to all on their resolutions.

Kyle
provence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not make new year's resolutions. Instead I make goals for the year. If I make goals, it is easier to break down into steps, which are more manageable, therefore more realistic for me.

My 2009 goals are:
1. Develop a larger repertoire of soups.
Growing up, my experience with soup was exclusively "soup from a can." Therefore, I have not been a fan of soup. But, I have started to make a few basic soups, and have fallen in love. I want to explore new recipes, and new techniques. If I could perfect one new soup every month, I will be happy.

2. Develop more uses for home grown tomatoes.
For many years I have attempted to grow tomatoes, with dismal results. Last year, I relocated one tomato plant to a spot with morning sun. I was shocked to harvest about three bushels of tomatoes from that one plant. Eating fresh tomatoes every day was heaven! Besides giving some away to friends, all I could think to do with the additional tomatoes was to peel, rough chop, and freeze. I need to be more creative with tomato recipes which can be made ahead and freeze. Since I work long hours, and live by myself, I want to be able to pull a quick meal from the freezer. My goal is to plant two plants in the same spot and perfect six tomato recipes which can be frozen.

3. Explore Asian cuisine.
As with many other respondents, simple asian cuisine, to me, is combining the desire for fresh ingredients, quick techniques, and delicious results. It also helps to maintain and improve my knife skills. Thanks to others who included resources for Asian cuisine in their comments.

Good luck to everyone with their 2009 resolutions!
[/list][/list]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: