Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

JANUARY '09 DISCUSSION: Food/Cooking Resolutions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LDGourmet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Resolutions versus Goals versus Trends Reply with quote

I almost never make resolutions. Sort of feel they are doomed to fail. Something like "I'll eat better this year," would never give me the satisfaction of achieving it at the end of the year. I always get reflective, maybe pensive, this time of year as birthday comes 'round, too.

What I've settled on is my own ritual (involves burning papers one with a hope for the new year, one with a burden to release). For my readers looking for help and guidance with their beloved Resolutions ritual, I just wrote a post on this for the gourmet food column on Suite101.

I used my old consulting bag of tricks (SMART goals) and the trends that I feel are important and popular (sustainability, e.g.) and offered tips for incorporating concrete goals.

Instead of "eat better" - try one new sustainable seafood recipe each month. You can mark that down and put it on your grocery list or menu plan and you will be able to say yes I can check that off.

I'm looking into learning about and seeking out biodynamic wines and organic spirits. Leave it to me to incorporate drinking into a piece on healthy goal setting!

A votre sante!
georgia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must join Barbara on this one: waste less. For my part, that means buying a bit less, not being tempted by foods and amounts that we just cannot consume in the time it's fresh, preparing less for DH and myself. My bad habit of storing bits and pieces/odds and ends of leftovers in the fridge in plastic containers only to later find batches of potential penicillin is BANISHED as of now.

Also, I will remember the word "Enough"...as in:

...that's enough for two of us...
...one serving of dessert is enough (for now)...
...thank you, I've had enough wine...(A sentence I rarely utter...)
...have I exercised enough to work off that dinner (Uttered even less than the sentence above--which is to say, never...)

Meet you all back here, same place, same time in 2010 to see how successful we were at keeping these resolutions in 2009.

Enough already!
Rachel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't usually make culinary resolutions, but this year I made 3:

1. Get better at making custard. I didn't make it at all for years (it was probably my biggest kitchen phobia), but I finally attempted creme brulee a month ago and it turned out pretty well. I still have some kinks to work out (ie getting it to set properly and/or not have it liquefy again when I caramelise it) but I'm confident that it's just a matter of practice.

2. Bake bread more often. I love the process as much as the end result and I don't do it nearly enough.

3. Get more serious about learning to cook Indian (especially Keralan) food. Living in London I got very lazy about it because it was so easy, and for the most part fairly inexpensive, to just go to a restaurant. Now that I no longer have that excuse, it's high time I did something about it!
La NiƱa del pimiento

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definately agree with wasting less. I try to cook for myself and my boyfriend occasionally and have just enough for lunch the next day. I am also getting better at meal planning and using up all the veggies before they go bad.

Last year I began going to the local farmers market every saturday during the summer and fall. I will certainly continue that tradition this Spring/Summer/Fall.

I would also like to continue working on giving up more sugar. I used to be a sugar fiend, but now happily put very little sugar in my coffee in the morning (my boyfriend says my coffee tastes like dirt...I think it tastes like heaven as I have trained my taste buds to shun so much sugar) I will continue to work on using less of it.

I will continue to cook mainly mediterranean foods and eat more vegetables and fruits.

Another fun resolution like many of the other members here is to have more dinner parties. I like right next to the University and love to have my Spanish exchange friends over for a lovely dinner party.
Griffin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new year's food resolution. To eat more and better... and then think about a lot of exercise. Not actually doing any, just thinking about it.
Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay for Griffin!!!! The only one who's resolution I can stick to.... lol Laughing

Actually, I have just been cleared to be able to start gentle exercise again, so start a new dance class this week. Can't wait! Fingers crossed that it is as much fun as I am hoping.

I have no food resolutions for this year. We eat well and healthily. I can't drink more than a glass of alcohol every week or so, and I walk every day. I cook and experiment with new ideas constantly and we have people visit for dinner parties every week. Do not throw out very much food, if at all (hate the waste) and usually have dinner leftovers as my lunch the next day.

Hmmmm, maybe my resolution needs to be to cut back on food expenditure and only entertain every second week??

My real resolution is to go somewhere different in europe each month. That is what we are aiming for this year anyway. We are hoping to pick up our new transport end of next week or early the week after.... all things going to plan.
Knifethrower

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeeesh... I have too much to ask of myself, but here goes...

I will:

1. Open my mind to everything in school and go after it like a pitbull on a buttcheek. Even Hollandaise sauce, which totally grosses me out.

2. I will TASTE in school, and not EAT. I will appreciate every tiny portion to the fullest.

3. I will be a slave to my glucose meter to keep me honest and healthy both at school and at home (see #2).

4. I will study my tail off and get a job with an international hotel brand by graduation time at the end of this new year.

5. I will still, never, ever give up using my favorite 4-letter swear word beginning with "F", just like I promise every year (the only resolution I have ever kept!!!).

(Okay, #5 does not seem to be cooking related until you her my reaction when I have a knife skills test sprung upon me)
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen, I feel you on the Hollandaise. Sometimes I think we were separated at birth.

"It's hot ham water."
wordcobbler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Resolutions Reply with quote

To find the simple joy in simple cooking, and make it part of a more active lifestyle. Staying active in Maine in winter can be a pyscological struggle. And when you cook for a living, sometimes the joy of it gets swallowed up by the complexity of business. So, my resolution is forage for the foods that are all around me (clams, mussels, fish, game) and prepare them as close to where I find them as possible, largely cook outdoors over a wood fire, and using cast iron cookware
Bearcuisine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two intentions for this year. One is to work my way through our pantry which is absolutely filled with wonderful food stuffs. The other is to add more Indian dishes to my cooking
bainst

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to stop being lazy and get over the excuse of not wanting to cook for one. Everytime I find a fabulous recipe then see the fatal words; "feeds 4-8", I go and say that's too much left over and file it away for another time.

This year no more. I will cook a great dish or better yet a whole meal and enjoy it no matter the serving size. Food is no only for couples or families. Eveyone is entitled. I might even share. Wink

Last edited by bainst on Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
CarlaH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year everyone, my resolution is to stop buying new recipe books (I already have a collection of more than 200 Rolling Eyes ) and to cook at least one new recipe per week chosen at random from my collection. This should be interesting as I usually just use the books for inspiration and then make up my own version because I don't have all of the ingredients called for. Like many of you I too will try to reduce the amount of food we waste.
CarlaH
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also rarely make resolutions and when I do, I'm rarely successful! But,things I will think positively about are:

1. Eating mindfully - attend to portion size and savor each bite. Interestingly, I find myself doing that in restos - but not at home. Often at home, I just eat until I notice that I'm done - always thinking about what needs to be done next or whatever!

2. Shop less, buy less, waste less - I see that I'm in sync with some friends on this one.

3. Drink more tea. I read a list of 14 predictors that you would live a long and healthy life and the only one that didn't fit me was "Be a tea drinker." I can't remember where I read it or what most of the items on the list were (besides eat plenty of fruits and veggies and have strong legs) but the tea one made an impression, so I'm t rying to develop a taste for tea.

Good luck to all of us with our resolutions, intentions and positive thoughts!
valerieroy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Macarons & Chocolates Reply with quote

I will use 2009 to improve my skills at macaron making- I especially would like to improve the coloring techniques as well as experience new fillings that will be as original as unique.

Also, I took a chocolate making class at the end of 2008 and got so many compliments on the look of my chocolates that I have decided to pursue it. I will first focus on ganaches with various flavors and also on the look of the chocolates that I would like to look like the once in chocolate stores.
Over Xmas I bought some material to start working on those 2 things and I can't wait to start!
My friends are also keen on seeing the results Smile
Anne - Music and Markets

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: 2009 Resolutions Reply with quote

Not quite a resolution, but since we're living in Aix en Provence for the month of January, I'm hoping to create meals using items that I can't readily find in the US.
One day it was a wonderful goat cheese salad - each ingredient fresh from the market, then Cassoulet for dinner that night.
This evening it was loup de mer en croute, with galletes of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots.
All delicious, and I'm eager to try something else new tomorrow!
http://musicandmarkets.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: