Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Woks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Woks Reply with quote

I have an electric wok that I believe may have come out of the workshop of one of Charlemagne's craftsmen--it is that old! While it has given me good service it's starting to act up and being electrical that frightens me. So it is replacement time! Any suggestions? Should I stick to electric? Can I swap to a stovetop one even though I have an electric stove? Is there anything new and exciting in the world of woks?
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say - take to a stovetop one that has a handle and stir-fry like they did when Charlemagne was a lad!

I believe there was a song once called Wok do you wanna make those eyes at me fer?... but I could be wrong...!
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, electric burners are not recommended for regular woks, because they don't heat them properly.

You can either replace it with a new electric wok, or they now sell flat-bottomed woks, often sold as "stir-fry pans." That would work with your electric burners.

If you should decide to get a standard wok anyway, be sure and buy a carbon steel one. This is one case where cast iron is not the best choice.
David

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbon steel eh! Okay and I'll check out the flat bottomed ones as well. Probably end up with another electric one then though as it has served me well.

and Griffin --no jokes about "wokking the dogs" Very Happy
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KYH,

Again... ta for the info on the regular wok. I didn't realise they weren't heated up properly on and electric hob. Tho' we have the flat-bottomed one and a gas hob.

David, I hope that when you're wokking the dogs you have your music with you so you can er, wok out!
dory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to go to garage sales, until my house filled up with more stuff than I could use and I stopped. I always saw woks. I think people buy them and then don't know how to use them or don't bother. I bet you could find a wide variety to choose from in garage sales.

Dory
nima

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, you can pick up a good and cheap carbon steel wok in any Asian grocery or kitchen supply store. With a little initial seasoning and care, they can last a long time. Look for one with a comfortable handle and a tight lid. In the world of woks, the traditional and unfussy varieties are usually the best.

If you have an electric knob, then you will want something flat bottomed. Otherwise it won't heat well, and you risk wasting a lot of energy.
David

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks nima--and there a few decent looking Asian supply stores here1 And nice to see you again o mistress of Indian cookery!!
nima

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, it's nice to be back in the world of C&Z--as always, you folks have such a lovely and lively discussion here.

Best of luck with the wok adventures. The nice thing about the woks you find in Asian stores is that they are cheap and high quality--best not to get suckered into fancy and expensive brands that are really no better!
RebeccaJo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone of you have ever tried to use the wok to make a dessert because I had the idea last week but wasn't brave enough to try it yet. Smile
dory

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of dessert were you thinking of? I did find a description of an Indian sweet that involves boiling heavy cream in a karhai (almost a wok) and repeatedly removing the skin than forms, stacking the skin and eventually sprinkling the sweet with sugar after the skins stop forming. This sound like too much work for a home cook. I can't think of any dessert ideas for a wok, but am curious about what you were thinking.

Dory
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: