Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Traveling Paris first time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
youngjoo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Traveling Paris first time Reply with quote

Hello, I am a new member to Chocolate & Zucchini. I was reading many guides to Paris to prepare our -- me & my husband -- first trip to Paris and found Clotilde's Edible Adventures in Paris which led to this site. What an amazing and fun place!

I was wondering whether I could get an advice on our first to Paris trip (May 4 (M)-May 8(F)). Because it's such a short trip, it's very hard to make a plan. So many things to see, do and eat! It would be great if I can hear suggestions from you guys. One specific help I need is finding bistros for dinner near Madeleine where our hotel is located. For lunch, we are not going to make any plan, but it seems that it's better to make a reservation for dinner. I am making a list of Clotilde's favs, but I already have 17 bistros in 8eme and 9eme Arr. Anyone has any favs that's not that too expensive?

If anyone has an advice on "how to spend most memorable 4 and half days in Paris", I will love it!
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youngjoo,

Have a look at some of the other threads on this forum. But it depends on what you are interested in. Get a Plan de Paris first - this is a street map of Paris and will be useful.

The Musee de Marmottan is worth a look, it has the Lily paintings and some others by Renoir and is not likely to be so busy as the Louvre or Orsay (tho' the Orsay is definitely worth a look for the Art Nouveau). The Musee de Cluny has medieval stuff.

There is great shopping if you can afford it. Have a look for the Depot de Ventes, which are full of second hand designer stuff.

Take a trip to Versailles which is stunning also. Plot what you want to see, just a few, then see those and if you have time look around them. Look for inspiration everywhere because it's Paris - the City of Lights.
youngjoo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you for the information on the Musee de Marmottan. I will save it for my next trip, though. It may shock some people, but we're planning to visit only Musee Guimet and Musee Dapper this time. I will save other big museums for when we go back. We will be there longer next time, but it won't be May, probably early spring or winter. This time, we want to walk and enjoy the architecture and parks.

Also, thank you for mentioning about Depot de Ventes. Unfortunately, I won't be able to drag my husband there. I myself is not that interested in shopping designer name clothing in Paris. I love to go to flea markets. I am reading Markets of Paris by Dixon and Ruthanne Long. I already have 20 markets in my list!

We planned to visit Versailles!! The strain station to Versailles is very close from our hotel. We hope to rent a bike there. Any recommendation for restaurants there?

Youngjoo
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh how I envy you!!! Paris is a wonderful city, I fell in love at the first gallic shrug Smile It has unique style and pace all of its own.

It seems that you have a sensible approach not trying to fit it all in at once,
trust me you can't...In six weeks I still haven't seen everything I wanted to so DONT TRY!! Take walks, visit markets, buy picnic supplies (the basement (the food section) of Monopries are an excellent resource for this)and eat in a park. Bring a book, my favorite is A Moveable Feast, read people-watch....

Research is important (and it seems that yours has been extensive and excellent) but be open to explore, take the other turn visit that little church that isn't in the guide books, or walk through a little park.

Above all enjoy!
David

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really like an interesting and diverse flea market you MUST get out to Clingancourt on the weekend!!
youngjoo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to go to Clignancourt flea market! According to the book I have -- Markets of Paris -- it opens Saturday through Monday. So I may be able to make it. It's upto what we are in the mood for after we see Notre-Dame, which we want to see more than anything else. I don't ever research when I travel, this is first time I read quite extensively about a place before the trip. Really enjoying these beautiful books about Paris.

Now we're watching Maigret TV series. Maigret speaks English and the stories are just about murder than Paris, but the series themselves are good. Anyone can recommend any of Maigret's bistros?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: