Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Pureed foods help!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Siegfried recommends puree de choux-fleur...

We are both imagining you brimming with WELLBEing sooner than later...
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you mention it Madame..... that is what I ate a lot of.

For some reason I craved cauliflower??? Confused Really weird,

The carrot and coriander mix was great thanks Rachel. So much flavour.

Have now progressed to soft foods. Still no whole grains or "bits", no salad or raw veg. Everything cooked till soft, but no need to puree.

It feels great to be able to chew my food before swallowing it... even though it doesn't need that much chewing as so soft already. Laughing

We have been calling me the incredible shrinking woman as the weight is just melting off me. Each time I see someone that I haven't seen for a few weeks they are astounded at the change. I am hopeful that this season I shall be able to do justice to the itsy bitsy bikini when we go to St Tropez... Laughing

Thank you all for the emails and messages. Your support and suggestions have been fabulous. I am so lucky to have such wonderful friends around the world.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

St Tropez can't wait!!!
Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither can the itsy bitsy yellow polka dot bikini!!
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie, will you tell us what (or who!) poisoned you?
I'm glad you feel better, do you have a special meal planned to mark complete recovery?
It occurred to me, I think you can inhale alcohol now.. but I wouldn't feel very sophisticated, grown-up, or cool doing that!
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingerpale, it is actually very sad.

A friend (who is my adopted Mum here in Paris) was being inducted as a Member of the Order of the British Empire - a very big deal. We had the ceremony and afterwards the Embassy served canapes and champagne. Absolutely beautiful day in the Embassy gardens which were brimming with flowers and sunshine.

Then we went to a very good restaurant in Paris for a set menu meal which had been organised and paid for by her children. We ate canapes of smoked salmon (there was also foie gras and cheese canapes but I didn't eat them) which tasted so fresh and delicious you could have made a meal of them alone. Then we had steak and sauteed potatoes with garlic and herbs and salad. Then came a plate of cheese, butter, salad, confiture de groseilles and a few fresh groseilles for each person (very pretty and such a nice idea) along with crusty baguette, bien sur!

Afterwards was a lovely dessert which was like a mille feuille but with strawberries added in.

There was red, white and rose wines, champagne, soft drinks and water to your heart's content.

It could have been any of these things, but to me (the really picky and cautious person) they smelt and tasted perfect. The doctor thinks it is probably that someone cross contaminated something, or didn't wash their hands properly and touched either the food or plate/cutlery/glassware. Almost impossible to tell.

I was the only one that became ill, so it is likely that it was improper hygiene.

My friend who's day it was still has no idea. Another two friends who were there have been helping me to keep it from her. Very tricky as I have been invited to so many lunches and dinners since and just cannot go. Every time I see her she wants to feed me something and the amount of times I have had to lie and say I have just eaten but would love a drink of water or cup of tea is hilarious. All the time of course sitting there hoping my tummy doesn't rumble with hunger.. Laughing

The worst of it is that I had physiotherapy straight afterwards and it was there that I first felt ill. My poor physio had to call me a taxi and pour me into it when it arrived. I was so ill and couldn't stop throwing up. Spent the whole trip asking the driver to stop so I could be sick.... not my finest hour I must say. Embarassed Imagine going around the Arch de Triomph swerving left and right in the tangle of traffic feeling like you want to be sick and having to wait till you get off it so the taxi can stop.... shudder. Let me assure you that the taxi driver received probably the biggest tip of his life for not kicking me out and being so kind and offering me tissues and sympathy the whole way home.

So there you go. A pathetic story, and now I can't think of that day without remembering how sick I was. I can laugh about it now, but at the time I felt so dreadful and was so embarrassed to be ill in public.
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow yes a sad mystery--but what a dear friend you are for keeping it from her. A few lessons in this story for all.

p.s. I had to look up groseilles -- gooseberries!
David

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How strange and sad!Especially odd you were the only one afflicted! But my, the Embassy and an OBE! A grand life you lead my friend!!
David

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how goes the battle Debbie??
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well thank you.

Am now on normal food and can eat salad and grains..... I will never take this for granted again! Laughing

No alcohol for a while yet though as it is too aggressive on tender healing tissues.

Still cannot eat a normal sized meal, but as the weight loss has slowed to a controllable level I can handle this. Wayne keeps calling me the incredible shrinking woman still as each few days there is a noticable change. Lost just over 6 kilos in 3 weeks. Haven't checked yet for this week, but am imagining another kilo at least gone from my body.

Have started working with a personal trainer to try and get my leg back into shape after the bike accident, and to make sure I do not lose too much muscle tone in my body in general. Unfortunately when you get as sick as I was you lose muscle before you lose fat... so very important to try and arrest the muscle loss as quickly as possible. Not sure if I like him as he is quite bossy and LOVES to make me walk up the stairs here in Montmartre, down the other side of the hill, then back up and over to my place. I may have to push him down one of the flights of stairs if he keeps this up! lol He laughs at me when I mutter about revenge. Oh well, no gain without pain as they say.

I actually wore a pair of lycra bike shorts last week when I did my workout...... Shocked Quite a change for me as I normally avoid shorts and short skirts at all costs.

Luckily the sales are on here in Paris so I have managed to get a few new pairs of jeans and some new tops quite cheaply. A bit naughty as I really haven't lost a thing off the "top shelf", just off the rest of me..... but it did feel good to buy complete outfits. Wink Let us all say that Wayne is very happy with this situation...and the bikini is looking better and better... lol

I have a few photos from the big day on order. Last week when Wayne and I went off on the bike (yes I have been back on since the accident!) we had a photo in front of a gorgeous Chateau. It was scary - and kind of gratifying and "WOW look at me" - to see the difference in the photos taken 3 weeks apart. I could start liking photos again!! lol
swan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I just mention that Debbie is gorgeous anyway - a few (or 6 Wink ) kilo's more or less will never change that fact!!!
Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Swan, thank you for the lovely compliment. You are too sweet and kind.

I know I should not be so weight conscious, but it is kind of nice to be shrinking back to the size I used to be, and to be able to wear a bikini again is going to be a thrill.

BTW, just in answer to a personal query that I had..... no, I have not stopped cooking just because I haven't been able to eat. In the midst of baking right now for the lunch/afternoon tea tomorrow. We should have about 20 elderly people hopefully. A very good cause and we can be sure that they have had a good lunch, social time and welfare check up and then a nice afternoon tea before going home. Some of them are so funny and others are a pain in the ... but they are so happy to have the time and attention that you don't mind the odd incident.

I have made so much jam already this season that I can take a rest till autumn when it is chutney and pickle time. My nails are dark bluey black from all the red fruits and pitting cherries by hand (they were too big to go through the cherry pitter!! Shocked ). I look like a real scruff.lol

Have not done more than a few huge lunches, but it is summer holidays so most of my normal guests are away anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: