Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Tapas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cornette

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow I will give you some great Tapas recipies.

Its just a table full of small bites. Olives (stuffed) shrimps, sausage, cheese, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

You make about 50 different Tapas things and enjoy !!

Cornette
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to help you all solve this mystery once and for all. Tapas yes, basicly are an appetizer. They are part of the food culture of Spain and a way to enjoy the day. At lunch time there is a three hour Ciesta,(don't think I spelled that right), then it is back to work until 7:00pm or 8:00pm. Afterwards many gather for tapas and a drink before going out on the town. Dinner itself is not commonly served until 10:00pm or even 11:00pm. Tapas are about slowing down, gathering together, sharing and enjoying your time. They are also about some really creative yummy Spanish food and lots of wine. One of the coolest things about tapas is that it is like having a tasting menu, since here a lot of people have tapas for dinner.

Debbie, The sausage you describe sounds like chorizo. Yum!

Coronette, I would love to have those recipes!

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my Concise Oxford Dictionary says:

tapas-n.pl.-small savoury dishes esp. in Spanish style [Spanish]

which doesn't really clear too much up really does it. To describe tapas as appetizers isn't really that far off the mark although I've found in my limited experience that the portions are large enough to share (In Chicago we split 9 or 10 among 4 of us). I think of tapas as almost a Spanish dim-sum, but so far without the trolleys!
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Erin, for the culture behind tapas. When I did a web-search, 'tapas' means 'cover'...it was a slab of sausage meant to keep out the flies from your drinks....ugh! Shocked From there, it graduated into tiny bites of food. However, your description, of how it plays into the culture makes much more sense of why it's popular.

Sally and I routinely have Appetizer parties, so I think we're doing the Tapas-Thing without knowing it. Many of the recipes I've seen so far have absolutely NOTHING to do with Spain or Spanish seasonings (I mean, Tuna and Tomatoes???), so I think that it's safe to say that 'appetizer or tapas', the difference is if you serve sangria or martinis.

Thanks for the ed-i-kation, Erin!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DQ,
You are so welcome! The main thing I love about food is the culture behind it.
I love appetizer parties. It is so much easier to converse at a party when you aren't balancing a fork, plate and cocktail while talking and trying to wipe your mouth. I hate going to a party where there is no where to sit down and the host has served anything that needs a knife.

"It's hot ham water."
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I hear you with the "What???? I have to balance my food on my Designer Dress?!"

We got into Appetizer/Tapas parties by accident. We had just bought some wicked martini glasses and several of our friends swore that they had never drunk Cosmos.

So, what better reason to get together than to make several jugs of the stuff and finger foods!

My speciality is micro-quiches with mushroom or pesto filling, and then tiny lemon curd tarts. I love appetizer parties because so much of the food can be made ahead, so the host can enjoy themselves. And then, occasionally, pop into the kitchen to bring out another platter of hot food.

Now I'm getting hungry! Darn it!
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's my understanding for what it's worth. Tapas are small plates of food. The concept is to be able to taste a lot of different things because the portions are small. Being from Chicago, I agree with DQ that the trendies almost ruined the whole idea about 10 years ago. but there's been a more recent development that my wife and I, being complete pigs but without unlimited appetites, really enjoy. A lot of very good restaurants encourage you to choose just appetizers from their menus if you want, so it's like tapas. By the time we get through the appetizer menu, it's not necessarily cheaper, but it's a lot of fun to share. Of course, with four people you can get through pretty much everything on the menu.
JustMe

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in the not so famous words of wee Willie Shakespeare: "Tapas, by any other name, would still taste as good."?????????

Appetizers, tapas, munchies....I haven't had lunch yet....I am now famished! Often when we do an "everyone bring something" party I just make it just appetizers...it's easy to fill up on all those selections.

Cosmos...my FAVOURITE!!! And I have the coolest glasses....gonna get my act together & take a picture & post it: you haven't "arrived" until you've had a cosmo or martini from a lighted glass. My teenage son makes the BEST cosmos this side of the Rockies...I am such a bad influence!!!
simona

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this topic really aroused some passionate replies. I happen to love tapas very very much, passionately.So much that as a guide ( a hobby I profess only during summer months) i tried to guide as many groups as possible which include the town of San Sebastian , my favourite place for tapas in Spain.( the tour is of norther spain including galicia- Santiago de compostella and the Basque country, including Bilbao and its Guggenheim, Guernica etc) After you'll try the incredible tapas, in that overcrowded little bar, on the end of Calle Mayor in the old city, the one near the cathedral on the left side ( when facing the cathedral) you'll never question tapas again. Of course the other tens or so bars in the ajacent little streets are not bad at all. i've tried some Each time I'm there. And I tried the Barcelona ones ( small portions, yuppy and overpriced) , in Madrid and Seville, but there are no tapas like those in San Sebastina. I like also, that you eat your Tapas, throw the paper napkin on the floor, and once in a while, somebody comes and cleans the mess. Untill I discovered the small glasses of beer ( which I prefer with the Tapas) I used to get dizzy after two rounds. I prepare many parties with tapas only, and yes, there is a fingerfood forum, I opened it about two months ago. Now that you opened this topic, I long to go back to San Sebastian ( I semi retired from guiding two years ago).
Cornette, I'm waiting for your tapas, I'll post some of mine, after the festivities of our Independence day ( no tapas , only barbecue, called "Mangal" - a turkish word for barbecue which emmigrated to Israel and was absorbed by the Hebrew language).

No more war , ( obviously ) more tapas
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago Bear wrote:
OK, here's my understanding for what it's worth. Tapas are small plates of food. The concept is to be able to taste a lot of different things because the portions are small. Being from Chicago, I agree with DQ that the trendies almost ruined the whole idea about 10 years ago.

So, C.B., where do you and your wife go in Chi-town for tapas? There's Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba on Halsted and then a place (one of the older ones) on the corner of Lincoln and Damen and Irving. Any suggestions, please?

JustMe wrote:
Cosmos...my FAVOURITE!!! And I have the coolest glasses....gonna get my act together & take a picture & post it: you haven't "arrived" until you've had a cosmo or martini from a lighted glass. My teenage son makes the BEST cosmos this side of the Rockies...I am such a bad influence!!!

Lighted Cosmos Glasses???!!!! No Way! Well, you've beat me, JustMe; your glasses are way cooler than mine! Sally and I joke, that when we have kids, the first thing that we're going to teach them is how to make their Mommy's Cosmos. We bad!

No more war, More Cool Posts from simona!
JustMe

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go: lighted cosmo glasses...well...technically they're martini glasses, but who cares. This particular glass changes colour...it can be red or green or blue...OR cycle through the colours....very impressive at night in the hot tub or by the campfire at the cottage.

I actually ordered these from California. All our friends at the cottage bought them. http://www.glowsource.com/page/TG/CTGY/LIGHTUPGLASSES

The cosmo in this picture was made with raspberry vodka...and I usually garnish with limes, but it figures today all I had were lemons.
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simona - What a great life you must have had as a guide in Spain. We ate tapas every night when we walked to Santiago de Compostella (from St Jean Pied du Port) last year. Because we started walking our daily 25K at 6AM each day, we would have a huge meal in the middle of the day around 2 - 3PM. The refugios,where we stayed, lock their doors at 10.00pm,dinner at the time the Spanish eat was not an option. So tapas were ideal for us around 7PM.

Justme - love your martini glass. I have some Grand Marnier coasters that light up when you put your drink on them. and it gives a similar effect.
Cornette

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrimps with garlic and white wine.

If you need to convert the weights look here
http://www.onlineconversion.com/

Fry 6 cloves (finly chopped) in some oliveoil for 2 minutes on a moderate fire. Add a small bunch of finly chopped parsley, one bayleaf, one finly chopped chillipepper and 1 kilo big shrimps.
Fry for another 3 minutes on a high fire.
Add 1,2 dl dry white wine and keep cooking for another few minutes untill the wine is reduced by half.

For a picture look at my culinary weblog (Dutch) today.
http://www.cornette.nl/cl/

Also very nice as main dish with some spicy rice.

Cornette
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, C.B., where do you and your wife go in Chi-town for tapas? There's Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba on Halsted and then a place (one of the older ones) on the corner of Lincoln and Damen and Irving. Any suggestions, please
Here's my answer. I don't know of a good tapas place in Chicago, but we go to Tapas Barcelona in Evanston (since we live there), which is consistently good and not expensive. It's on Chicago Avenue in Evanston just north of Davis Street.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustMe wrote:

Here you go: lighted cosmo glasses...well...technically they're martini glasses, but who cares. This particular glass changes colour...it can be red or green or blue...OR cycle through the colours....very impressive at night in the hot tub or by the campfire at the cottage.

I actually ordered these from California. All our friends at the cottage bought them. http://www.glowsource.com/page/TG/CTGY/LIGHTUPGLASSES

The cosmo in this picture was made with raspberry vodka...and I usually garnish with limes, but it figures today all I had were lemons.

JustMe: You just helped me finish getting the coolest of birthday gifts for Sally!!! xoxoxoxo Thank you! Her birthday is the 22nd of May and I ordered 6 of the multi-flashing martini and a couple of shot glasses.

YOU ARE FANTASTIC AND SO APPRECIATED!!!

Chicago Bear: Thanks for the Evanston info; Sally and I frequently go to the piano bar movie theatre on Maple and I'm sick of Wolfgang Puck's over-priced food. We'll be sure to try it out. By the way, shouldn't you be adding "Chicago-land" to your location? Wink Do you remember the old "312" vs. "708" area code wars in Chicago and suburbs during the 80's? Lame. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: