Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Tapas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dawna

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustMe wrote:

Here you go: lighted cosmo glasses...well...technically they're martini glasses, but who cares.

Technically, I think they're just "cocktail glasses" and "martini glass" is just common usage... which is also why people think they can slap any old thing into a conical glass and call it a martini by adding "-ini" to the end of the name.

Your glasses look perfect for cosmos, to me! Mind you, as long as my drink doesn't come in a metal cocktail "glass" I'm pretty happy. Metal and the slightly bitter or astringent taste of most vintage cocktails do not mix well!
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DQ, Sally is going to love you (even more) when you take her to the Stained Glass Wine Bar & Bistro in Evanston. It's on Benson (which is a block east of the thee-A-tur), and is in the block that runs north of Church Street. Mike, who owns a piece of the restaurant, is a wine fanatic, and he features wine flights (three servings) of different varieties that he's put together to compare. He usually has four flights of whites and the same number of reds. He also sells wine by the glass and bottle. The menu is ideal for tapas too, because there are a lot of appealing appetizers. A lot of times we go for the wine and appetizers/tapas, and never get to an entree.
So here's a question: the best places to taste a variety of wines. Who has favorites, where are they, and why are they favorites?
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C.B.: THIS will be Sally and I, celebrating at the Stained Glass Wine Bar, for her birthday!

I've run out of The Usual Suspects for places to go to in Chi-town; now...I need to explore Evanston! I love, love, LOVE Evanston; when I was married, I was so hoping to move their but hubbie wanted to live close to work (Montgomery Ward Corporate Tower), so we ended up in the Gold Coast. Not a complaint, mind you, but I liked Evanston much better because it reminded me of our hometown, Minneapolis.

P.S. You might want to ask your wine question in one of the wine threads or start your own about wine. That way, it won't get lost or over-looked.
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, DQ. I'll do that. The Evanston restaurant quality changed dramatically when the City finally started letting them serve alcohol (Evanston was the headquarters of the Women's Christian Temperance Union), and traffic got so brutal that it was not possible to drive casually into Chicago for dinner. It's worthwhile to explore now.
simona

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I live in forgotten(!!) corner of the world, somewhere in the noisy and hot Midlle East, so I have an excuse, but please enlighten me : what is a Cosmos ?
Barbara, it's really a priviledge for me to actually "know" somebody who did the pilgrimage to Compostella , by foot!. I've read a lot about it ( I had to guide ), and liked the stories, the legend, the genuine faith. A local guide in Compostella told me that today most of the pilgrims take shortcuts, they don't really walk. I believe walking all those kms ( how many did you do?) should be really a special experience, meeting the people, seeing the places, feeling the land. If you feel like it, I would like to hear more about it, maybe on PM. Thanks.

No more war, more elating experiences
Dawna

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi simona,

"Cosmo" is short for "Cosmopolitan" a delightful little cocktail featuring vodka, cointreau, cranberry juice, and freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice. It's a lovely pinkish red, as you might expect from the cranberry juice. They're delicious and probably addictive!
JustMe

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dairy_Queen wrote:

JustMe: You just helped me finish getting the coolest of birthday gifts for Sally!!! xoxoxoxo Thank you! Her birthday is the 22nd of May and I ordered 6 of the multi-flashing martini and a couple of shot glasses.
YOU ARE FANTASTIC AND SO APPRECIATED!!!

I am sure Sally will love them; they're always a huge hit when I take them out. I am actually debating getting some wine glasses because the martini glasses don't hold much. (what?? me?? a lush????)
simona wrote:
I know I live in forgotten(!!) corner of the world, somewhere in the noisy and hot Midlle East, so I have an excuse, but please enlighten me : what is a Cosmos ?

Apparently the age-old cosmopolitan became ever so popular again when it was the drink of choice on the tv show, "Sex and the City". We have a group of friends at our cottage & they all drink martinis at "happy hour" on a Saturday night, with the exception of me: I can't drink straight alcohol like that. So one night last summer someone made me a cosmo. As Dawna said:
Quote:
They're delicious and probably addictive!

My version makes 2:
    2 parts vodka (raspberry vodka is a nice change from regular vodka)
    1 part Triple Sec or Conintreau
    juice of half a lime
    3 parts cranberry juice

Put all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with some ice; shake; strain into martini glasses & garnish with lime. I cheat and add maraschino cherries...not in the original recipe...but they're red, aren't they? Gee...I might have to go home & have one.

Oh yes, as a side note, after my newly found addicition last summer: my friends called cosmos my "truth serum"...seems I get a little talkative (no!!) when I've had a few. Embarassed
simona

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dawna and JustMe, It sounds addictive. I have to purchase only the cranberry juice ( not very popular around here, I hope to find imported one in a specialized store) and I'll do it.

No more war, more "cosmos"
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I put in a plug for Grand Marnier here for Cosmopolitans please. It gives a smoother drink than Triple Sec or Cointreau.

Simona - re Santiago de Compostella - it was one of the best expereinces of my life and I will send a PM to you about it. The majority of people are serious about walking the entire 800K's, and we only met 3 people who took buses between some villages. I only "cheated" twice - once in the first week when it was cold and raining and we were at risk of hypothermia, and a second time at the end of the walk when I thought I had food poisoning. On both occasions we took a taxi to the next village.

Imagine 6 weeks of walking, eating, drinking and talking with people from all over the world - we have many happy memories of good times and a heap of new friends. Somedays I wish I could be back on the camino without the stresses of everyday life.

You can see some photos of mine here:
http://groups.msn.com/BarbaraHarrisCaminotoSantiago/shoebox.msnw
JustMe

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cointreau is nicer than the Triple Sec for sure, but the Triple Sec is cheaper. I haven't tried it with Grand Marnier (though there always is some in the cupboard). I always think that GM is too good to be wasted in a mixed drink, but I am now inspired to try it.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Barbara on the Grand Marnier, for some reason I can't take Triple Sec.

"It's hot ham water."
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at risk of morphing into staff training mode here!! Grand Marnier is cognac based and Cointreau and Triple Sec are spirit based......which is why the GM made cocktails are smoother. It makes a great Margarita too!
Dawna

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago, my wine club did a tasting of five levels of Grand Marnier. I was blown away by the differences! I think my favourite, for flavour and cost combined, was the third tier.

I really do need to get some for the house - so many recipes have suffered under inadequate substitutions! And, I'd love to try a cosmo with it, just to see! Because... I'm all about the science, right? ;)
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustMe wrote:
I always think that GM is too good to be wasted in a mixed drink, but I am now inspired to try it.

Have you tried their new vanilla flavored Navan? Also lovely for flavoring and for sipping.
JustMe

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara wrote:
I'm at risk of morphing into staff training mode here!!
Thanks, teacher!

Dawna wrote:
A few years ago, my wine club did a tasting of five levels of Grand Marnier. I was blown away by the differences!
When my husband and I were honeymooning in St. Thomas, USVI many, many moons ago, we ran across Grand Marnier Jaune that was brandy, not cognac based. It was very good & we brought back a couple of bottles. We never ever saw it again & always look for it when travelling out of the country (yeah...like we do that often). I guess I could always check their website & see if it's a product they still make.

Rainey wrote:
Have you tried their new vanilla flavored Navan?
I've never even heard of it...I'll have to go internet browsing!

Next cosmo I make will definitely have GM in it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: