Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Elegant Dessert Course for 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Elegant Dessert Course for 2 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I need advice for a simple, romantic dessert course for 2. I would like to make a pastry, have a few different cheeses, possibly some fruit, and a light wine. I would love if you could share your ideas or your own dessert course creations. I am only serving a dessert course so there are no other menu consideration. (i.e - it can be rich.)

also, i saw an orange chocolate pochette made on a food network show but they don't supply a recipe. the dough is a cream cheese dough. does someone have a recipe for this?

Thanks so much!

Mia
Rachel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mia, I don't know if this comes too late, but here are a few ideas.

Unfortunately I don't have a recipe for this, but two months ago I had an amazing dessert at a restaurant in Paris: a very crisp, delicate filo parcel stuffed with a mixture of ground almonds, honey, lemon juice and zest, and hibiscus syrup. I would imagine that if you're confident handling filo and improvising a filling, this wouldn't be super-difficult to recreate. (You could also stuff it with frangipane - it would be different, but probably still very good.)

Apart from this, my choice would be millefeuilles or individual fruit tarts, filled with sweetened creme fraiche or mascarpone if you don't want to deal with having lots of leftover creme patissiere. Hope that helps!
dory

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mia,

I found this recipe just by coincidence. I couldn't sleep and found a cream cheese dough recipe in a cookbook I had gotten for my birthday years ago, but hadn't really used. The cookbook is Everyday Greens: Home Cooking from Greens... The author is Annie Somerville. The recipe uses a truly horrifying amount of fat, but looks like the results are really tasty. The measurements are U.S. measurements, but if you think you want t o make this pastry, I can weigh the flour and cornmeal for you. The sugar would be 3 large spoons, the butter about 400 g. and the cream cheese about 200 g. I can calculate the exact amount on my palm pilot. It would be fun for me to do the calculations, as I have rarely played with converting recipes before. The only time was with a cookbook of medieval recipes updated for modern kitchens that my dad brought me from France one time. This would be easier.

2 c. flour
1/3 c. fine cornmeal
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted, chilled butter
1/2 lb natural cream cheese.

Add first dry ingredients and then butter to a food processor. Use the paddle attachment to cut butter into pea sized pieces, and then add the cream cheese. Process until the mixture just adheres into on mass. There will be a few white streaks of cream cheese in the mass. THis dough is intended to be rolled into circles, filled, folded into half moons, and the edges crimped, then cooked for 25 min in a 375 degree F. oven (high medium) . You could fill with what you like. The recipe calls for quince filling, which I also have a recipe for.

Dory

P.S. I put in the original ingredients, but paraphrased the instructions, so if they are not easy to follow blame me-- not Annie Somerville.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: