Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Chilean Sea Bass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Chilean Sea Bass Reply with quote

I bought a pound of chilean sea bass, which I have never cooked before. My intent was to cut largish chunks and wrap a very thin slice of prosciutto around them, and then grill them. I've had this as cichetti in Venice, with monkfish. But I'm worried the prosciutto might overpower the bass.

I also wonder if I should marinate the fish before cooking, maybe with a little heat from green chilies, or possibly ponzu ... or even just a little lemon and garlic.

Would really appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks!
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea bass would not be my first choice for grilling. It's a white, firm-fleshed fish, with virtually no fat. Even wrapped in prociutto it would be iffy, IMO.

We really enjoy sea bass. But it's gotten to be rather pricey, so don't have it as often as we'd like. I've got numerous recipes for it, but among our favorites is this one that came from Le Bernardin. Note that the double reduction it calls for really is necessary for full flavor:

Black Bass With Port Wine

1 cup ruby port
1/2 cup Sherry vinegar
1 stick butter, softened
Salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Four 6-oz sea bass filets
1/4 cup Chinese five-spice powder
1 1/2 cups wild mushrooms, sliced
2 large shalots, finely chopped
1 tbls minced fresh parsley
1 tbls fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped

Boil the port in a heavy saucepan over moderately high heat until thick and syrupy; there should be just enough liquid to thinly coat the bottom of the pan. Stir in the vinegar and boil until syrupy. Remove from heat and whisk in butter. Season with salt & pepper.

In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over moderately high heat. Season fist filets lightly with salt & pepper. Coat each filet on both sides with the five-spice powder. Saute the filets in the hot pan, turning once, until crusty on the outside and opaque throughout. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.

In a large skillet, heat the peanut oil over moderately high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and browned. Add the shallots, parsley and thyme and cook until the shallots are translucent. Season with salt & pepper.

Arrange filet on a bed of mushrooms. Top with the sauce.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: