Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Savory Chocolate Dishes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Savory Chocolate Dishes Reply with quote

Seeing as how chocolate is one of the main inspirations for this site I think it should be brought up now and again. There is another chocolate thread that is all about truffles, candies and cakes so we will leave those there. I want this thread to be about the use of chocolate in savory foods. Tonight I plan to make duck and use chocolate as a main ingredient. Except for moles I never use chocolate in savory foods, and I want to change that.

At Marcha a restaurant I used to frequent they served roasted quail in chocolate it was magnificent! Do you have any recipes you would like to share? For those of you with an adventuras spirit I challenge you to come up with recipes of your own and share with us know how they turn out.

"It's hot ham water."
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I did try adding a single square of Bakers, unsweetened (dark) chocolate to my risotto.

Mine is made with long-grain brown rice -- cooked separately in advance.

Other ingredients included oats, Grape-Nuts cereal, powdered milk, salt, and canned pumpkin. And I threw in crushed, toasted pumpkin seads.

I think it was a success, but it may require some tweaking for a wider audience.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must confess that on the very rare occasions I've used chocolate as you suggested, Sarape, the colour of the finished product wasn't all that appealing and it took a lot pf persuasion (falling just short of stand-over tactics!) to persuade the younger members of the family to eat it.
eileen

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am just starting to experiment with adding chocolate to savoury recipes.

dolfin has a new line of chocolate bars, one of which is chocolate with masala. interesting but strange.

there was a thread on this website from october 2004 with a nice recipe for chocolate chili bites, which i'm dying to try. i also have a recipe for black pearl layer cake from epicurious. it calls for chocolate and wasabi powder.....my birthday is in june, & i am going to give it a go.

i am a great fan of aubergine/eggplant, and here is a recipe for caponata. i had it at a party and couldn't figure out what made the sweet/sour combo: voila! our own dear chocolate.

Caponata
2 medium-large aubergines/eggplants
salt
1 1/2 cups olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
6 ribs celery, cut into 1-inch lengths & blanched for 1 minute in boiling water
1 cup pitted green olives
1/2 cup capers
1 1/2 cups plain tomato sauce
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
3/4 cup toasted almond slivers

Wash the eggplants, cut off the stems, and cut the eggplants into 3/4-inch cubes. Sprinkle with abundant salt and allow to drain for an hour. Rinse well, dry, and fry in 1 cup olive oil until golden brown on all sides. Drain on absorbent paper.
Saute the onion in 1/2 cup olive oil until it begins to colour. Add the blanched celery and cook a minute longer, then add the olives, capers, tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar and cocoa.
Simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in the eggplant and simmer for 10 minutes. Correct the salt, then refrigerate for 24 hours.
Serve the caponata, sprinkled with the toasted almonds, either cold or at room temperature.
Nice on a baguette
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had totally for gotten about Caponata, I love that dish. Great choice.

"It's hot ham water."
mary g

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the caponata recipe. I'm interested in savory chocolate recipes--so far I've only added it to chili, which everyone loved (except my father-in-law, who is very culinarily conservative).
JustMe

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mary g wrote:
....culinarily conservative.
I like that, sounds much better than picky eater!
eileen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well - sigh - june is here.
my great hopes of trying out the chocolate - wasabe cake for my birthday (wonderful tradition, here, bring-your-own-treats-if-it's-your-birthday-or-maybe-that's-just-what-they-tell-me) have been dashed by a)a way too-complicated recipe and b)too many people saying, 'huh,what on earth, that's too weird."
on the other hand, a colleague is having a going-away bash & moving to mexico,so now might be the time for me to try clotilde's chocolate chili bites. either that or recreate stuffed peppers a la film como aqua para chocolate...mmm
or if anyone has a good vegetarian version of mole ....which doesn't require specialized ingredients found outside of the americas....
but! hey! let's go crazy with the choolate!
rebecca

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have my own turkey chili recipe that I have refined over the years. The secret ingredients are cocoa powder and cinnamon. It's very tasty!

1 ½ pounds ground turkey
2 yellow onions, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped
4-6 cloves garlic, chopped (or more to taste)
2 T chili powder
2 T chopped fresh oregano (or 2 t. dried)
3 t. ground cinnamon
4 T cocoa powder
28 oz. can stewed tomatoes
30 oz. can kidney beans
2 cups dry red wine
salt and pepper to taste

In a deep stockpot or dutch oven, saute the onion, peppers and garlic until tender. Add the turkey and brown completely. Then add the chili powder, salt and pepper, cilantro, cinnamon, cocoa powder, tomatoes, kidney beans and red wine and bring to a boil. Cover and slowly simmer for 45 minutes to a hour and serve.

It's even better the next day when the flavors are fully melded!
cocoaloco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: chocolate in chili Reply with quote

The whole chocolate-chili thing is very Mexican mole. About 10 years ago, I concocted a chili recipe for a chili contest at the office. It was marvelous, but I couldn't replicate it to save my life! One of those expressionistic moments. Chopped beef steak, some onions, garlic, couple kinds of ground chile, cocoa and bittersweet chocolate, too. Served with a pesto of pumpkinseed and cilantro.
It was delicious and brilliant, but, alas, it didn't win. Wink
rebecca

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably didn't win because the American palate is, by and large, not used to chocolate in savory dishes. I know whenever I tell people about my turkey chili recipe most say "Chocolate in chili? Yuck." That's okay, then there's more for me!
eileen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know what? if they don't ask, don't tell 'em about the chocolate addition.
i used this philosophy when sneaking in 'nasty veggies' to my unsuspecting daughter.
the poor thing.
i had her convinced that - when she went to college - i had spoken to the 'dinner ladies' and asked them to make sure she was eating her vegetables. hee hee hee. it's a wonder she still speaks to me! i look at it as payback for the teenage years (just as my mother does....) Embarassed
Lakritz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't actually supply a recipe but my son told me he'd once come across a food programme where they concocted [i]asparagus with white chocolate[/i]. I keep thinking of trying it out but I'm not sure what exactly to do. I mean, do you just pour melted white chocolate over the cooked aspargus spears? Any views?
kagney

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Cincinnati Chili Reply with quote

Hi! I'm new. Smile

Rebecca, it sounds like what you have there is Cincinnati Chili (aka Skyline Chili and other names). Check it out here: http://www.recipegoldmine.com/chili/chili107.html (sorry, URL tag wasn't working properly).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: