Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

check, please + how much?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
georgia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: check, please + how much? Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity and the fact that we're always looking to travel, I'd like some current and accurate information about tipping policies where you live and dine out -- both in the USA and elsewhere.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Things here tend to be pricey on all fronts. A 20% tip on a restaurant check is pretty much the starting point -- adjust downwards or upwards, depending...I suspect that's probably on the high side. I am familiar with tipping policy in France (or the way it used to be)...compris but leave a bit for good service. On my last visit to the UK, I greatly amused some young restaurant servers when I asked them to tell me honestly what a generous restaurant tip in the UK was so that I could act accordingly. They said 10-15%. If you disagree, please say so.

Travel guidebooks frequently offer this advice. I often find that their advice isn't accurate for the way "real people" function in their own environments and that it's usually a bit lower than the acceptable standard.

What is the average gratuity percentage in your part of the world? Do you then adjust for poorer or better service?
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far as tipping goes, San Francisco is right in line with the balance of the U.S. in that 20% is considered the starting point. This is up from 15% just a few years ago, reflecting the fact that the minimum wage for servers has not kept pace.

Another growing trend is to leave a tip regardless of the service level. To me this is just training servers to believe that they don't have to do the job; that poor service gets rewarded the same as exceptional service.

Goes a long way towards explaining why the overall level of service has slid downwards.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australians tend not to tip, or at least, not the ones I dine out with. We usually round up to the nearest $10, or tip for exceptional service, but otherwise it's just not really part of our culture.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Judy. But then our waiters are paid slightly better than most countries. Here you tip, but you need to check first whether it is service compris. Even then if you get exceptional service, or they do something extra I do tip as a way of saying thank you.

Still not my ideal job, I think I lasted one week as a waitress Laughing . I hated it with a passion. Would rather be out back cooking than serving at table.

THe other week I left a tip at a country restaurant while in the UK. THey ran after me to give me back the "change". It has become second nature to me to tip now and I didn't stop to think that a lot of places (especially outside cities) do not tip.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not my ideal job, I think I lasted one week as a waitress . I hated it with a passion. Would rather be out back cooking than serving at table.

Interesting idea, Debbie.

I would agree that BOH is more fun. But if you're goal is making money, serving is the way to go. If my legs would let me work a full shift, I'd still be waiting tables. There is no other legal way I know to make so much money so quickly.
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but in Australia you don't get tips - just a standard wage. So you don't make money fast.

I just really didn't like squishing between all the tables and the grumpy diners and the rush etc. Much prefer to be in the kitchen even if just plating up rather than cooking.

Some people can cope with the waiting, others just aren't cut out for it I suppose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: