Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Holiday Party
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melinda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe a grand aioli would be fun for a group......
i would also consider some mini crayfish pies
and perhaps frozen red rooster drinks
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, please, is a grand aioli?

I'm only familiar with that term as it applies to garlic mayonaisse.

Would like to see your recipe for the mini crayfish pies. Thnx.
melinda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my version of a grand aioli is just big piles of veggies/hard boiled eggs/assorted items to be dipped into homemade aioli......not sure if it's francais or not.....will have to dig up crawfish pie recipe.....it's buried somewhere
David

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grand aioli is indeed French, more particularly Provencal Mmmmm garlic. Chunks of cod are commonly served with the vegetables and boiled potatoes! Yummy, filling, mmm nap inducing!
dory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would come to the party happily, ready to eat all of the great food provided. I would add my cheese nut pate, perhaps cheese straws (is there a theme here? I am from Wisconsin after all) and white bean dip with rosemary. I also discovered a really fun recipe in one of those corporately produced cookbooks produced in the UK with the theme of parties. Cookbooks with no identifiable author should not be allowed to have any good recipes in them at all, (it is one of those things so unfair it should be illegal in my universe) but occasionally do, anyway, and the books are often remaindered for $2-3, so sometimes I get tempted by a recipe and buy one. This one is red lentils with lemon and coconut milk cooked thick, so they can be eaten on crackers or little rounds of toasted baguette.

Dory
swan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long overdue but in time for Chistmas: I still owed you guys my tiramisu recipe.
This one is for 4, easily doubled if and when more guest (or big tiramisu lovers) at the table.

2 eggs
40 gr sugar
250 gr marcarpone
1 packet of lady fingers or italian savoyarde biscuits

about 75/100 ml good strong coffee (preferably espresso ofcourse!)
2 or 3 tablespoons of cognac or chocolate/vanilla/coffee liqueur to taste - but you can easily do without. (I prefer not to use amaretto liqueur because of its very strong flavor)
cocoapowder or shaved chocolate

You can make this in individual portions in ceramic dishes or glasses, but I prefer family-style: one big tiramisu at the table!

1) separate the eggs and whisk the yolks and sugar together till light-yellow-creamy consistency.
2) add the mascarpone cheese to the yolkmixture and whisk well untill fully combined.
3) in a separate bowl beat the eggwhites untill stiff and fold through mascarpone mix.
4) add the booz (if using) to the coffee
5) two methodes for building the tiramisu:
*lightly soak each ladyfinger in coffee and place in a single layer on the bottom of the dish you're using OR
*put them in the dish dry, and spoon or pastry-brush coffee over until lightly soaked (a little seeping through under the cookie - but not too wet. (underside of cookies half wet - no loose coffee in the dish - top fully soaked - or so.Smile )
6) spread half of the mascarpone mixture on top of the biscuits.
7) repeat with another layer of soaked fingers and finish with the mascarpone.
8 ) put in fridge for at least 2 hours (overnight no problem!)
9) take out of fridge about 20 mins before serving and cover with a thin layer of cocoapowder (through a sieve) or shaved dark chocolate.

Many recipies say to put the cocoa on befor putting it in the fridge but I prefer to do that before serving.

Enjoy!

Last edited by swan on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
gingerpale

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to have this, Swan--thank you for remembering.
bainst

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the long delay in my contribution the party. But it can be a little hectic where I am. My favorite additions to a party would be:

Spinach Phyllo Triangles, just love the taste and crispness of the phyllo with the spinach and cheese.

Then of course some homemade macaroni and cheese, white cheddar of course.

I would have to bring some sweet, and that would be Cherry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream with Cherry Pie.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KYHeirloomer, scrumptious idea...

In small brown ceramic cups..brown with green corianderish patterns...I'd bring this soup:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/4351/thai+style+pumpkin+soup+with+coriander+pesto

'n may I bring some Chris Smither music..so our feet can tap joyously ...in fact given that this is the wonder of cyberspace..I'll bring Mr Smither Wink

'n how about little star-shaped chocolate cakes..Clotilde's wondrous recipe of course!

what a feast this is mapping out to be...venue?
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great soup, Madame.

When I make pumpkin soups I usually garnish by floating a few toasted pumpkin seeds on the surface of each serving. You might want to try that with this one and see how it does.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'tis so hot here at the moment KYHeirloomer, methinks I'll all but faint looking at the word 'soup'...

so I might end up bringing some icecreamish thing..was told of this today..a tin of sweetened condensed milk, 2 cups really truly scrumptious runny cream..whizz until a little thickened...fold in any berries..freeze...

now THAT I could bring!
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my fault your seasons are bass akwards, Madame. Razz

Fact is, though, in this household a day without soup is a day without sunshine. Even in the summer. And don't forget, too, that there are cold soups to enjoy on a super hot day. Here's one you might like:

Almond & Garlic Soup

2 cups loosely packed day-old bread, torn into 1" pieces
6 2/3 cps water, divided
1 tbls coarsely chopped garlic
2 cups blanched almonds
2 1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/2 cup Sherry vinegar
1/2 cup extra avirgin olive oil
16 medium green grapes, halved and seeded, for garnish
2/3 cup toasted sliced almonds

Soak the day-old bread in 1 1/3 cups water in a medium bowl for 10 minutes.

Process the garlic and almonds in a food processor fitted with the steel blade for 1 minutes, or until finely ground. Stop halfway through the process to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the soaked bread and any soaking water, 2 teaspoons of salt, vinegar, and oil, and blend for 2 minutes, or until a smooth paste forms. Add 2 cups of the water and blend for 2 minutes longer, or until smooth.

Transfer to a medium nonreactive bowl and stir in remaining water. Cover and refrig3erate for at least 4 hours, or until well chilled.

Stir the soup well, reaching to the bottom of the bowl, just before serving. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt. Ladle 1 cup of soup into each chilled soup bowl, garnish with the grapes and toasted sliced almonds, and serve.

Although numerous examples of this "white gazpacho" exist, this particular one comes for a recipe by Teresa Barrenechia as it appears in the book, Spain and the World Table.[/i]
Mmel'ours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madameshawshank, could you please please send some warm my way? We're on the other side of a storm system that didn't drop that much snow by me, but the temperature crashed to most unpleasant levels. Confused

That being said, how about a good bowl of hummus and another of baba ganouch? Hummus is 1-15 oz. can of chickpeas, 1/4 c. more or less of tahini, juice of 1/2 a lemon, and enough garlic for your liking. Put everything in a food processor or blender and zap until desired consistency.

For the baba ganouch, take one nice sized eggplant, slice in half and salt the cut side. Let it sit for about 30 minutes to pull out the bitter juices, then bake for about 30-40 min. at 400f. until it collapses. Scoop out the flesh, put into the food processor with enough garlic and about 1/4-1/2 C. tahini.Zap until smooth. This converted me to an eggplant lover.

M. l'Ours and I are confirmed garlic lovers. Since we moved to out current house, there have been no vampire sightings in our area. Cool
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmel'ours, We're back from the big family get together..first job, deeply water certain plants...it's not a scorcher today, however enough to hear the plants begging for some h2o...

As for your request...you may have as much Oz sunshine as you can carry in your carryall!
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmel'ours, do you have a charcoal grill?

Reason I ask is that authentic Baba Ghannouj is made by grilling the eggplants rather than baking them. This adds a smoky, slightly charred flavor to the finished dip.

Nothing wrong with the way you make it. But the smoky tasting variety is even better.

Some people actually bake the eggplants then add a drop of liquid smoke to the mix, in order to capture that flavor. Personally, I don't use the stuff, but each to his (her) own.

Since we moved to out current house, there have been no vampire sightings in our area.

Reminds me of the old vauldville routine. A guy is sitting on the bus, tearing his newspaper into small pieces, and tossing them out the window.

Fellow asks him, "what are you doing?

"It keeps the tigers away," replies the first.

"Tigers? Ain't no tigers around here!'

"You see? It works."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: