Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Holiday Party
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madameshawshank, I've made that very same soup! I have to say I found it a little too abrasive, possibly because I was using the curry paste for the first time, so I didn't know what kind of flavour balances it had.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alana, perhaps less of the paste next time..that is if you make it again Wink
dory

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have a slow cooker I may try making hummus with real cooked chick peas instead of canned ones. I have always loved hummus and made it at home, but mine never tasted as good as that in better Middle Eastern restaurants. I never had the patience to boil my own chick peas, as they can take 2 hours to cook, but now that I don't have to watch them carefully I am making all kinds of beans.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dory, have you tried presoaking the garbanzos? It's never taken me anywhere near two hours to cook them.

Also, if you are rinsing the canned ones, and the flavor isn't the same as store-boughten, chances are it's not the chickpeas that are making the difference. Could be the amount of tahini, or lemon juice, or garlic that's influencing the flavor.

It could be a texture thing as well. Really good hummus is made by passing the chickpeas through a seive. This results in an incredibly creamy consistency that can't be matched by other means. Me, I'm happy enough grinding everything in the food processor. But if you're up to it, try seiving them like that and see if it makes a difference for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: