Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

A good food magazine?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerpale

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KYHeirloomer,

"I've looked at several on the newsstand and, frankly, there was very little I found interesting. Too much of their content is written by academics, and it's like reading a textbook. And much of the other subject matter didn't appeal to me."

What happened to your 1st reaction-- "great content" ??
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The content is great, Ginger, for those who care about that sort of thing. It's just not my cup of tea, especially at that price tag.

There's a difference between what one personally likes vs what is objectively good or bad copy. It's like watching Antiques Road Show. There are things that I recognize as being beautiful. But I wouldn't have them in my house cuz they're not my style.

Or, perhaps a better example. As some here know, I've been working on a book to be called "The Gumshoe Gourmet," about the importance of food and cooking in detective novels. There are actually some pretty interesting insights to be gained. Would I recommend to a foodie that he or she read Robert Parker's novels just for the food commentary? Absolutely not. Even though the food stuff would be interesting, the rest would not unless they were into that type of story. So, even though the food writing can be great doesn't mean that folks want to wade through all the other stuff to read it.

So it is with Gastronomica. Although the content is great, it's not personally interesting enough to me to pay that price. [/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: