Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The joy of meeting C&Zers face to face
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: The joy of meeting C&Zers face to face Reply with quote

After almost a couple of years of 'seeing' each other in these forums, emailing each other and the occasional phone call, Madameshawshank and I met for the first time yesterday. We had a great time!

Madame, her husband Siegfried, my partner Greg and I had breakfast at Central Market together, then did some browsing and shopping in the market for last night's dinner.

Last night Madame, her Papa and Siegfried came to por place for dinner, and we feasted on tagines & cous-cous cooked by moi, followed by Spanish churros dipped in chocolate cooked by Madame, then by Sieg and my son Tom. Papa and Sieg taught me how to Sudoku, we drank toasts to C&Z, Barbara who has now finished her chemo, each other, and Tim Berners Leigh who developed the World Wide Web in the first place.

A slight blip on the evening was Greg's son Sam crashing his bike and ending up in hospital with cuts on his face and broken teeth, so Greg missed most of the food and fun, but Samis okay and it's a great excuse to get together again with Greg present next week before Madame et al head home for Sunny Sydney.

I'm sure Madame will add her own version of events when she gets back to her computer, but I can definitely say that she is as warm, beautiful and funny in real life as she is in her C&Z posts. It really was a joy to meet her and her family.

So .... who else has met IRL (In Real Life) as a result of either the Internet as a whole, or C&Z in particular?

Greg and I met via the Internet, so I was doubly happy to drink to Mr Berners Lee, actually he's Sir Tim.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Judy and Madame,
I can't tell you how happy this makes me! It sounds like you had a fabulous day. Sign me up for the exact same program if I ever make it to Oz! (Minus the bike accident of course, I hope Sam's okay.)
Take care,
Clotilde.
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last December, my wife and I were lucky enough to spend 3 weeks in Paris. We were even luckier to meet up with Debbie (and her husband Wayne) and Alisa. Of course none of us got along Wink Wink Laughing Seriously we had a wonderful time together shopping various markets scouring professional cooking shops, visiting Mal Maison and eating, lets not forget the eating....(this was mostly with Debbie) With Alisa,I will never forget our last full day in Paris sitting in her lovely apartment watching the snow swirl around, drinking hot chocolate and snacking on left-over Pierre Hermes Bouche de Noel....it was these people who made our trip so truly special. We miss them (and Paris) daily.

Clotilde I am remiss in being so late but I do want to thank you for your wonderful site, and the friends I have made here
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pesto Man - You are quite welcome, and ditto on the friends!
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy - I'm so pleased you and Madame had such a wonderful time together. I wish I'd been there. Thankyou for drinking a toast to me in my absence. I'm honoured.
Judy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara, we wished you were there too. I don't know if this makes sense, but I missed you even though I haven't even met you yet. And I know Madame missed you too.

And Clotilde, when (not if!) you come to Oz, we'll definitely have a get-together and cook. Thank you for giving us all this wonderful site.

Donna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had the absolute PURE DELIGHT of spending an afternoon with Rainey last month in Berkeley. She was up with her daughter, who has been accepted - and plans on attending - UC Berkeley (Hoo-freakin'-ray!).

Our time together was rather limited, but we made the most of it by heading straight for the Gourmet Ghetto - Shattuck & Vine. We found a (new to me) tea shop in a gorgeous little pedestrian area with a stream and fountains. Then we went next door for lunch at Chez Panisse Cafe (http://www.chezpanisse.com/). The food was splendid, but even more spendid was the immediate sense of connection! Rainey is - as I'm sure you can imagine - a force of nature! (Unfortunately, she was wearing socks that day, so I can't confirm the purple toenails!) She's well read, passionate about many things, well traveled, a brilliant conversationalist. I could go on and on! We had a fabulous meal - thank you, Alice - and talked up a storm. We are the same age, so we have so many similar experiences. It truly was like meeting an old friend that you haven't seen for a while. We had a lot of catching up to do!

The fabulous news that Rachel will be attending Cal (Go, Bears!) means that Rainey may be coming up North more often and I look forward with glee to the opportunity of having her and Steve (and Iz, Galen & Rachel, if possible) over for lunch or dinner! Cool

Thank you, Clotilde, for this forum that forges friendships - of short and long distances! Laughing
Judy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna wrote:
It truly was like meeting an old friend that you haven't seen for a while. We had a lot of catching up to do!

That's it exactly, Donna.

Our newest old friends are coming back for dinner tonight - we couldn't let them go without seeing them again.

And Sam is okay - his teeth will need a lot of work and he still has 50 or so stitches in his face, but we're so grateful he's alive and has no broken bones.

Keep the stories coming, I love reading them. It's pretty much what I thought it would be like for everyone - aren't we all lucky? Thank you again Clotilde.

chocol8lover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really love reading stories from you guys! Smile
Judy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your nickname, chocol8lover!

madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy asks who we've met via the net..

well the scrumptious Judy 'n Barbara for starters!

'n a wee while before c'nz I met with a friend via both our questioning the internet world about mendiants! She lives in South Carolina Very Happy ~ will never forget landing at LA airport...walking out and there she was..Lonna! she'd flown over with her mum..oops..mOm..and we spent a week at Huntington Beach with her aunt...what a welcome to the USA ~ 'n as for the Christmas...don't have the words...delightful X 7 zillion

'n I write on a Brokeback Mountain forum ~ so far I've met up with 3 wonderful people ~ we've watched the film together and had gorgeous Malaysian food...our host also provided cheeses from some heavenly cheese shop...each time I've brought raspberry muffins...

next week I'll be meeting another from the bbm forum...this time we'll meet in a cafe and savour European cakes..'n coffee...'n time at the Leura bookshop methinks...'n share thoughts about the film that has stayed in our souls...

hugs and a wish that many many more will meet ~ it's quite a unique experience ~ now won't this be a wonderful chapter in the history of c&z! the meetings..

(anyone reading this...would you please send the Socceroos..the Oz soccer team which has made it into the final 16 of the World Cup ~ would you send them your very very very bestest wishes ~ they came in ranked 42nd in the world... Wink )

merci Clotilde
simona

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and good morning to you Madame,
Always nice and challenging to read you on the forums.
You mention a Brokeback Mountain forum, I'm really intrigued and would like to learn what are the subjects discussed on such a forum. I'm curious, I admit. If you don't mind, I'll be happy to learn about,

No more war, I prefer the Gyllenhaal guy!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simona Darlin' ~ you ask of the Brokeback Mountain forum Wink

ok..brief history!

The film has stayed in my BEing..soon after my first viewing I thought: there MUST be folk out there wanting to share ideas etc about the story 'n film. I googled "Brokeback Mountain forum" 'n came across Dave Cullen's wonder site...Dave is a writer ~ davecullen.com ~ 'n davecullen.com/forum.

His blog was overwhelmed with comments after the film was released, so he decided to set up a forum which has grown soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much over the months. Initially it was general comments about the film, however now, if you visit you will see a work of great diversity. The writers? From all over the planet/male 'n female/various sexualities/grandmas, sons, mothers, fathers, daughters, siblings, grandfathers, friends....I was going to type "the whole gamut" however there are many who wouldn't go near this particular forum ~ same reason Oscar voters didn't bother to see the film ~ mix of all reasons I think...

A forum friend I've met is now in the States, travelling, and luckily he'll be there when a big gathering has been planned. People travelling from here there and everywhere ...to feast and share stories and talk of the mountain story that has reached so many hearts. Another is planned for London.

So, Simona, if you're interested, do visit. There's now an international section ~ we Oz folk are listed on the G'day thread. Very Happy

I find the individual scene thread almost compelling. Exquisite opinions ~ And often I think that Annie Proulx's story has been a key to the writing hearts of so many. Come 'n visit!
hugs
simona

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Madame, for your kind answer.

Simona
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'twas a pleasure Simona...

may your day, this day, be EXTRA wondrous..

hugs Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: