Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Christmas breakfast
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Snowy. And they accuse me of putting out ornate spreads.

Me 'ats off to tha Duke!
dory

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took a pannetone to my parents house for their breakfast and ate cereal at home. I was the least ambitious of anyone in terms of breakfast, although I did make soup and roast turkey with cranberry sauce for dinner. MY sister made outside of the turkey stuffing, since she is vegan. I would have normally made pork roast with potatoes and veggies in the pan, as it is easy and my dad likes it, but I got a free turkey.
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for a timely reply...Before family got scattered across the US & Asia, we used to have a big southern style brunch around noon after gift opening. Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage patties, biscuits with sausage cream gravy, grits, hot fruit compote, all with plenty of butter, jams & ribbon cane syrup (similar to molasses). Beverages were tea, coffee, mixed citrus juice, vodka to spike the juice, and brandied mocha.

Pleasant nostalgia! Now it's pared down to dried fruit & nut scones with a pot of coffee or tea & is eaten earlier.
msue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have Christmas breakfast with my husband's family - where they make egg sandwiches (toasted English muffins, canadian bacon, cheese, egg) on Christmas morning. That is served with cappuccino or black coffee and bottomless mimosas. It is simple, but very warming and easy. Especially the mimosas!
Snowy Owl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brighidsdaughter,

Can you tell me more about sausage cream gravy .... it sounds so decadent and yummy!
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowy, sausage cream gravy is a staple in the American South. Sometimes called "sawmill gravy," most of the time it's just referred to as gravy; as in "biscuits & gravy."

Basically, it's just a white sauce to which cooked breakfast sausage has been added. Ideally, you would cook the sausage first, and use the grease from it when making your roux.

To serve it, you split the biscuit in half and pour some of the gravy over it.

The other great Southern gravy is Red Eye. This is made by deglazing the fond from a fried hamsteak with coffee and letting it reduce slightly.
sweetbabyjames

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biscuits & gravy is my favorite special breakfast!

I cook veggie sausage in olive oil and make a lumpy roux with the veggie sausage pieces and olive oil together. Call it lazy roux. I use veggie stock and finish with sour cream and lots of coarsely ground black pepper.
msue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could gain 5 pounds just thinking about biscuits and sausage gravy. And it would be worth it!

My grandmother made the very best. So incredibly good.
RussNH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a big brunch of scrambled eggs, a cream cheese french toast, fruit salad, corn bread and coffee. Very tasty.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Russ. Welcome to the forums.

If you go over to the Other Things forums there's an on-going thread where we introduce ourselves. Wouldn't hurt for you to post a little about yourself over there.
Donna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the happy privilege of having not only our son, but his charming girlfriend with us for Christmas. Since we do the big blow-out the night before
Christmas morning is slow and easy (now that he's not six years old any more!). We had cocoa - a very rich European chocolate with whipped cream - while opening the gifts. Then after the stockings were emptied, I made scrambled eggs with smoked salmon. On the side were oven dried tomatoes I had put up in September, bacon & pork sausage from a local butcher and local pig! I served my own stollen - toasted and buttered. A pot of strong coffee caps it off. After that, it was off for a bracing hike on the cliffs at Fort Funston in San Francisco. Dandy day!

If we aren't with friends for Christmas Day, we always have leftovers Christmas night. Sandwiches made with Sam's homemade whole grain seeded rolls and leftover pork or goose.

Happy New Year to Everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: