Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

slow cooker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: slow cooker Reply with quote

I received a 6.5 L slow cooker for Christmas and made boeuf bourgignon as a test. Twas pretty darned good I think as did the guests. Now I want you all to scratch your heads and tell me your favourite way to using a slow cooker. I so feel this may become my new best friend!!
Mmel'ours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm...I just acquired one, too. I've been making broth in mine--poultry bones, carrot, thyme, splash of vinegar (pulls out the calcium), salt, pepper, bay leaves, garlic, celery and water, set on low, and let it go overnight. I have a recipe for a whole chicken that I'm going to try and will get back to you. Cool
gingerpale

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, meat and meat juice! I think it would be almost impossible to do on a stove what you can with the slow cooker--which is almost simmer something for a long long time. (like bones & aromatics) And never have to check on it.
I have done corned beef and elk (corned it myself!) and sauerbraten.

Mmel'ours--why do you want the calcium pulled out--health benefits or flavor?
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for all you people who like slow cookers, I'll make you a good deal on a couple of them. We find them to be the second best thing to useless.

I think it would be almost impossible to do on a stove what you can with the slow cooker-

What's that, Ginger? Overcook the food and turn it into mush? Crying or Very sad

Seriously, all a slow cooker is, when it works right, is an electric braising machine. Surely you can braise on your range and in your oven?
msue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me amongst the peeps who enjoy their slow cooker. I just used my All-Clad yesterday for a fab bean soup. Sure, the same soup is entirely possible on the stove top, but the slow cooker gave a very slow simmer all day long, and I felt free to leave the house for hours. I could NEVER leave the house if the soup cooked on my gas cook top.

And if I want some veggies with a little crunch in the soup, I quick saute carrots, celery, or whatever in the last 20-30 minutes of cooking and add them in. Which, of course, is exactly the same thing I do if the soup simmered on my cook top all day long.

Am considering it for another soup today. Curried lentil soup sounds so good with this wintery weather supposedly headed our way.

@ Mmel'ours: Making broth overnight - so incredibly simple and I never thought of it! Thanks for mentioning it.

@ David: I've enjoyed two slow-cooking cookbooks, both by Lynn Alley. Her recipes are easily adaptable to individual tastes.
Mmel'ours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Gingerpale-- The vinegar doen't do anything to the flavor--I just use a tablespoon or two. I'm at The Age where I need all the calcium I can get, and having it cook into the broth helps while holding down calories. I would much rather have a small amount of really good real cheese or yogurt than all low fat stuff in the world. Whoever thought lowfat food up needs 15 minutes on the naughty step between the "flavor" and the ick used to compensate for the fat.
@Msue--I'm always up for sharing tips... my pleasure!
Now, wish me luck this afternoon. I am adapting Julia Child's Poulet en coquette a l'estragon for dinner. So far, so good!
snowy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know this blog? I have tried out several recipes from it. Love my slow cooker.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
David

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks snowy!! Am starting to love mine too! And thanks t all who contributed.
dory

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am loving my slow cooker too. Christmas eve I fell asleep on the couch while simmering barley in mushroom stock with white wine. The stock was not the world's best in that it was anemic and a bit flavorless. By 3:00 a.m. when I woke up the mixture was reduced but not scarily so. I didn't feel bad for having left it for hours unattended. It was silky and intensely flavored. The next day I added some sauteed creminis (my new mushroom love-- who knew they had so much better a texture than white button mushrooms?) shitakes and maitakes which I found at my local grocery coop. I only cooked the mushrooms briefly to maintain their texture. I added barely any flavorings to the soup as it tasted so intensely of mushrooms, and my family went crazy over it. I could have done the same in a stockpot, but not on a night when I was so tired I couldn't watch it. I was really dubious about the slow cooker, but it has opened new doors to me that I was too lazy to explore before. My brother made canned black bean soup for me for New Years, and I disgusted myself when I said in a snobby voice "Oh, I always cook my black beans from scratch. They are so much better!" A year ago canned black beans were all I had time and patience for. No more tinny tasting beans for me!

Dory
David

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fantastic Dory (and love the brother story --hee hee, we're all a leetle bit snobby about food I suspect!)
jenyfari

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought myself a new one as well (only because it was on sale). Haven't had a chance to use it yet as it is so hot and I just don't feel like having a slow cooker churning away all day adding extra heat to the already hot kitchen. I'm so looking forward to winter to try it out.
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that there's nothing you can do in a slow cooker that you can't do on the stove. AND - I love my slow cooker! I use mine when I know I'm going to have a long day and NEED a well-cooked and comforting meal when I get home (and it's the cook's day off - LOL). I use it frequently during the winter. After Christmas I made a lovely pork braise with just onions and carrots and half of the leftover pork roast. A few days later, I used the other half of the pork roast for a posole. They were all delectable.

I could have made them on the stove or in the oven - or I could pop everything in the slow cooker and go for a hike on the beach with my husband, son and dogs and know that the house would smell dandy (big bonus) when we got in and we would have a great meal in a matter of minutes!

David - glad to hear you're enjoying your new toy!
dory

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I love. To be able to leave things for hours without checking on them. I haven't had the courage-- yet-- to go out for hours leaving it on. Perhaps this is because I bought the cheap-o model which seems to work fine. I am, however, always afraid of a short.

However, I putter around the house or even fall asleep while cooking some very long cooking ingredient. I figure if anything goes wrong I will hear the smoke alarm. Maybe with time I will trust the slow cooker enough to leave it. Once I learned the 3-step brown, pop in the slow cooker and finally add any quick cooking ingredients formula I got good with the thing, and started to like what came out. I think if you didn't cook in 3 steps you would end up with barely edible, homogeneous mush.

Dory
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: